Corsairs of Umbar - Future Release Plans

DoRonRon

Had a rethink, the space has likely been in months. It may be 1810 files but no telling how much of each has been changed.

So we might agree nothing much other than BR still exists.

Marmi

Completionist
Yes, I heard this as well (in fact I believe that Orion confirmed this).
However, I'm getting a little tired of this excuse being rolled out every time people query why content is late. Staff move around all the time, as a business you have to adapt and roll with the punches.

And before someone chips in and tells me that the new content (instances, raids) isn't late - yes it absolutely is. It is now February 2024. This is getting silly.
People claimed in chat they lost half devs, even if it was 1/3 it's huge loss, not usual move really. Instances release up to 3 months after expansion is not late. But we won't get them next week, rather next month. So they are not late yet, but they will be, probably by a month or so. Considering circumstances it is understandable. They obviously know all that and more and are doing what they can to release instances asap. That's why I'm concerned about their state upon release...
But I understand people who started Umbar right away could complete it by now on characters they intend to and are bored already.

Harvain

Yes, I heard this as well (in fact I believe that Orion confirmed this).
However, I'm getting a little tired of this excuse being rolled out every time people query why content is late. Staff move around all the time, as a business you have to adapt and roll with the punches.

And before someone chips in and tells me that the new content (instances, raids) isn't late - yes it absolutely is. It is now February 2024. This is getting silly.
For a Development Team like Standing Stone Games, pending which Employee might come and go, would be akin to several hundred Employees no longer working at much larger studios.
  • LOTRO Executive Producer Severlin's own comment is that a "couple of people" were poached.
Activision Blizzard are leasing an entire floor at the Verizon Tower, The Hub on Causeway Tower, located above North Station in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

This was being reported in Late December 2023, so more than likely during 2023 and as we were heading into the Corsairs of Umbar Expansion launching, SSG already had X amount of Employees either already having left or soon to be leaving for this new Activision Blizzard Office opening up.
  • Back in 2022 Blizzard also acquired the Boston-based Studio Proletariat, their 2 Main Games are World Zombination (a Mobile Game) and Spellbreak (Free to Play, Class-based 3rd Person Shooter for PC, Xbox, PS & Nintendo Switch).
    • X amount of former Turbine Employees worked for Proletariat.
  • The 100+ Employee Studio at the time has been transitioning from their Spellbreak Game to working as apart of Support for World of Warcraft.
So while we the Community won't know When & How this impacted Standing Stone Games, it's easy to know that this all has occurred very recently and during a hectic point of the year.
  • From how it sounds what occurred in 2023 pushed things back a bit especially for the Corsairs of Umbar Expansion and things they wanted to target with Launch itself.

TheUltimateKyle

The current rumor* is that lotro had a 6 person content dev team that made instances and the like, and of those 6, theyve lost 4 in the past year, with 2 of those 4 being confirmed to have gone to blizzard. Now supposedly the content team has more people again because of promotions and new hires, but itll take time to get everyone back up to speed, so its mostly Orion and Onnmm working on the instances, crafting system changes, future class changes, and etc, which is why everything is so delayed right now.

Sporkspatula

Sailing on the seas of cheese.
The current rumor* is that lotro had a 6 person content dev team that made instances and the like, and of those 6, theyve lost 4 in the past year, with 2 of those 4 being confirmed to have gone to blizzard. Now supposedly the content team has more people again because of promotions and new hires, but itll take time to get everyone back up to speed, so its mostly Orion and Onnmm working on the instances, crafting system changes, future class changes, and etc, which is why everything is so delayed right now.
If that is true, hats off to them, the pressure must be intense.

Greenpath

suppositions, rumors, they lost 2, then 4 out of 6, then they lost half the whole staffing, then they scattered to the 4 winds, kidnapped by the Nazgul known as Blizzard... but some even earlier by some other big Nazgul. y'all should get your rumors straight and agree on one version, perhaps. Or not, all these different reports are kinda funny to read. If theres one thing surely working, it The Rumor Mill

Sporkspatula

Sailing on the seas of cheese.
suppositions, rumors, they lost 2, then 4 out of 6, then they lost half the whole staffing, then they scattered to the 4 winds, kidnapped by the Nazgul known as Blizzard... but some even earlier by some other big Nazgul. y'all should get your rumors straight and agree on one version, perhaps. Or not, all these different reports are kinda funny to read. If theres one thing surely working, it The Rumor Mill
Who is y'all? Is it ancient aliens? Is it sentient cockroaches trying to extermintate humanity? Maybe it is a disinformation campaign by Putin maybe its Maybelline.

DoRonRon

Yet do Daybreak cut them some slack?

It suits SSG to release working content. It suits us for them to release working content.

Maybeline or Maybeabonus?

Arabani

I do not know much about SSG, but I'm on somewhat friendly terms with developers of another MMORPG: they have one person responsible for raids, one for instances, one for crafting, one for landscape and quests, one for general mechanic, classes, gear and such. So yes, five people actually developing the game plus the lead designer, a couple of artists and coders. The whole team is 11 people including the producer and community manager.

I do not think that SSG has ever been much bigger, losing even one key person is a big hit for sure, yet alone 4.

Greenpath

I do not know much about SSG, but I'm on somewhat friendly terms with developers of another MMORPG: they have one person responsible for raids, one for instances, one for crafting, one for landscape and quests, one for general mechanic, classes, gear and such. So yes, five people actually developing the game plus the lead designer, a couple of artists and coders. The whole team is 11 people including the producer and community manager.

I do not think that SSG has ever been much bigger, losing even one key person is a big hit for sure, yet alone 4.
how about you say the name of this mmo instead of keeping it vague? I'm curious to check it out myself

Dranak

ok first things first...i am a bit thick and i like things to be as obvious as possible. When i consider how i am going to gear up all my alts and have fun i'm not in the least clear what i need to do and with whom and how in order to get all the different pieces. One result of this is that apathy has overwhelmed me to the point i really am past caring any more and i have purchased another game which sounds a bit like Bombur's Door III in which you can respec your character at will and try lots of varying playstyles with ease.......which is quite engaging. Maybe SSG should reconsider their paying players gearing mechanisms and how that feeds into their enjoyment of the game. The least they could do is provide a nice big diagram and explain where each piece is likely to be obtained and what you have to do to obtain the current BiS .......treat me like a noob with the attention span of a modern child. This 'Rant' was provided courtesy of a player who would dearly love to find a reason to re-engage.

gildhur

Turbine Defense Force alumni
ok first things first...i am a bit thick and i like things to be as obvious as possible. When i consider how i am going to gear up all my alts and have fun i'm not in the least clear what i need to do and with whom and how in order to get all the different pieces. One result of this is that apathy has overwhelmed me to the point i really am past caring any more and i have purchased another game which sounds a bit like Bombur's Door III in which you can respec your character at will and try lots of varying playstyles with ease.......which is quite engaging. Maybe SSG should reconsider their paying players gearing mechanisms and how that feeds into their enjoyment of the game. The least they could do is provide a nice big diagram and explain where each piece is likely to be obtained and what you have to do to obtain the current BiS .......treat me like a noob with the attention span of a modern child. This 'Rant' was provided courtesy of a player who would dearly love to find a reason to re-engage.
lotro-wiki.com