Back from a long absence... Gold prices in AH

FroyoBaggins

That's definitely new to me... I used to be top-tier Cook, and had to spend a lot of time/resources on gathering materials to hopefully make some money on the AH. I'd have an Alt farmer sending me materials. I did a google search on this and found some references that still say Cook is not a great profession as they don't make much money. What are some example foods that can sell more than the materials?
Long ago, I created a cook when most folks were choosing jeweler from the vocation. I was able to make money from it. However, with fishing implemented poorly for cooking, I don't bother anymore.

Meshuggenah

17 Years worth of accumulation will do that.

I've heard multiple suggestions over the years on how to fix inflation. Capping the amount you can list items on AH for, adding a monthly 'tax' that degrades the pooled gold over time, etc. They all have some flaw or workaround that players could exploit to retain their hoard.

I think the best solution would be to simply make gold obsolete and create a brand new currency. This would reignite the auction house and player trade.

Of course, then you have to ask whether or not there are even enough new/returning players to make the effort of trying to fix inflation worthwhile? Probably not.

Harvain

17 Years worth of accumulation will do that.

I've heard multiple suggestions over the years on how to fix inflation. Capping the amount you can list items on AH for, adding a monthly 'tax' that degrades the pooled gold over time, etc. They all have some flaw or workaround that players could exploit to retain their hoard.

I think the best solution would be to simply make gold obsolete and create a brand new currency. This would reignite the auction house and player trade.

Of course, then you have to ask whether or not there are even enough new/returning players to make the effort of trying to fix inflation worthwhile? Probably not.
Only issue is what limits & ways would be put in for said "New Currency" to keep it "within reason" for as long as possible?

With 150 Levels of Content, more than 50 individual Regions, 4 Main Stories, more than 10,000 Quests, etc. and so on that would be a lot to adjust and find ways to keep "Money" for the Auction House + Player Trade within reason.

Meshuggenah

Only issue is what limits & ways would be put in for said "New Currency" to keep it "within reason" for as long as possible?

With 150 Levels of Content, more than 50 individual Regions, 4 Main Stories, more than 10,000 Quests, etc. and so on that would be a lot to adjust and find ways to keep "Money" for the Auction House + Player Trade within reason.

Creating a new currency would improve things for a few years but given enough time any currency is going to accumulate and become inflated. I don't think there's any way around that.

Seems like it'd only be worth their time if they were going to do a major relauch and try to attract fresh meat. Inflated in-game economies can be a huge deterrent to new players.

Perseverance

The reason Ark economy is so good is because people are actually using up all the good stuff. You can play PvE offline.

diligentcircle

It's funny, the lack of value of coin is something I noticed pretty quickly playing LOTRO. The game just doesn't have a whole lot of sinks for coin, so even if you don't make any attempt to try, you just kind of end up gaining more and more. That's probably a good thing overall, thô; the game I was playing before LOTRO had a much more balanced and "healthy" economy, but part of the way it achieved that was by making crafting horrifically expensive to the point of being basically inaccessible. The fact that, by comparison, you can gain money from the vendor by crafting in LOTRO was a pleasant surprise, even if that is ultimately a cause of further inflation.

I'm guessing at some point LOTRO's devs (I assume it must have been Turbine at the time given how fargone it is) must have at some point seen the writing on the wall that trying to balance the economy wouldn't be feasible in the long-term, and just sort of gave up. And you know what, that was probably the right choice. Creating a well-balanced economy system that's still fun is so hard that it might legitimately be impossible in the long-term.