We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Request for Furry Cloaks for Beornings, w/o hoods up

The closest cloaks to a thick pelt mantle are the rep ones in Suri-Kyla, but they all have hoods up -- which makes sense for that region, but I'd really like to have something hoodless that looks bear-ish for non frigid regions. Can you offer those cloaks in hood-down versions? Or introduce new cloaks that might appeal to hirsute ursine PCs?

extra thought: a stylized bear-paw cloak along the lines of https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/ca...2015d5001f.jpg Still would be nice if it looked thick and furry.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Duxx741 View Post
    The closest cloaks to a thick pelt mantle are the rep ones in Suri-Kyla, but they all have hoods up -- which makes sense for that region, but I'd really like to have something hoodless that looks bear-ish for non frigid regions. Can you offer those cloaks in hood-down versions? Or introduce new cloaks that might appeal to hirsute ursine PCs?

extra thought: a stylized bear-paw cloak along the lines of https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/ca...2015d5001f.jpg Still would be nice if it looked thick and furry.
    I will also like to see a hoodles or hood down version of all current furry cloaks that have hood up. Till then, there are some furry but hoodles cloaks you can get bartered during the Yule (winter) festival. Also there are bartered furry cloaks you can get from reputation traded at Vales of Anduin (1st beorning area).

On a slightly related note, i wish that the devs make the many already existing beorning sets match better with the racial style instead the skin be a copy/paste of other older class. That way the beorning armour sets could have a special look.

I wish they would model more cloaks in the style of the rohan collectors edition cloaks. Those were nice. Pair with the travellers hood (I think it's called) they look really nice and don't look like melted cheese draped over a head like the generic hoods. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Duxx741 View Post

Beorn was a vegetarian, I very much doubt he or his descendants would be seen in a fur cloak
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Beorn was a vegetarian, I very much doubt he or his descendants would be seen in a fur cloak
    A vegetarian Beorning..... should be a Koala or Panda XD

More to the point, Gandalf warned Bilbo to not even mention such a thing:

"...in the name of all wonder don't mention the word furrier again
    as long as you are within a hundred miles of his house, nor rug,
    cape, tippet, muff, nor any other such unfortunate word!"

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    ..... should be a Koala or Panda XD
    Koalas aren't bears.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbroke View Post
    Koalas aren't bears.
    Thanks, I know. People still call them "koala bears" anyway.

Say what? He had a lot of warg pelts hanged at the entrance of his house. Also to have a furry clothing you don't need to kill any animal, you can make fabric out of wool that you can cut out of any furry creature like sheeps, rabbitses, & cows to mention a few of the most common examples. Also the devs already added furry cloaks to beornings outfit that can be acquired at the Vales of Anduin from a beorning NPC :

Cloak of the Skin-changers: Hooded Cloak of the Skin-changers:
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item%3ACloak_of_the_Skin-changers https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item%3AHooded_Cloak_of_the_Ski n-changers
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; May 12 2022 at 11:07 AM.

/signed (my main is a beorning)
    Dear reader, I tend to edit my posts A LOT, sorry. Please don't be hasty, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Say what? He had a lot of warg pelts hanged at the entrance of his house. Also to have a furry clothing you don't need to kill any animal, you can make fabric out of wool that you can cut out of any furry creature like sheeps, rabbitses, & cows to mention a few of the most common examples. Also the devs already added furry cloaks to beornings outfit :
    You don't know your lore, mate, Beorn killed Wargs to make a point (stay away or end up skinned) but didn't approve of fur at all (he's wearing a woollen tunic, in the book). I already posted the quote from The Hobbit where Gandalf warns Bilbo against mentioning anything to do with furs. Also, furs are animal pelts and so absolutely do require killing animals because it means skinning them! Like how you get a sheepskin, rather than just shearing the sheep for wool. And it typically takes a whole bunch of pelts to make things, like if you wanted a rabbit-fur cloak that'd be a whole bunch of ex-rabbits right there.

As for the devs giving some Beorning gear a stereotypical 'barbarian' look, furs and all, that's them doing their usual thing and going with typical fantasy tropes. Doesn't make it right.

Say what? He had a lot of warg pelts hanged at the entrance of his house. Also to have a furry clothing you don't need to kill any animal, you can make fabric out of wool that you can cut out of any furry creature like sheeps, rabbitses, & cows to mention a few of the most common examples. Also the devs already added furry cloaks to beornings outfit :
    Beorn is described as wearing a woolen tunic at his first meeting with Bilbo and the dwarves, so obviously he sheared his sheep, as any good shepherd would. There is a huge difference between hanging the remains of dead wargs up as a warning to any other wicked creatures, and actually wearing them.

The passage that Rad linked says all that needs to be said on the subject, Beorn was so adverse to the idea of wearing the pelts of innocent animals that Gandalf was terrified by the mere thought of mentioning the subject around him.
    - Will Rogers

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    You don't know your lore, mate, Beorn killed Wargs to make a point (stay away or end up skinned) but didn't approve of fur at all (he's wearing a woollen tunic, in the book). I already posted the quote from The Hobbit where Gandalf warns Bilbo against mentioning anything to do with furs. Also, furs are animal pelts and so absolutely do require killing animals because it means skinning them! Like how you get a sheepskin, rather than just shearing the sheep for wool. And it typically takes a whole bunch of pelts to make things, like if you wanted a rabbit-fur cloak that'd be a whole bunch of ex-rabbits right there.

As for the devs giving some Beorning gear a stereotypical 'barbarian' look, furs and all, that's them doing their usual thing and going with typical fantasy tropes. Doesn't make it right.
    No! Fur is plain & simply hair, the raw material to make wool thread & fabric. Pelt is the raw material to make leather. You don't need to kill any animal to get furry clothings.

Beorn is described as wearing a woolen tunic at his first meeting with Bilbo and the dwarves, so obviously he sheared his sheep, as any good shepherd would. There is a huge difference between hanging the remains of dead wargs up as a warning to any other wicked creatures, and actually wearing them.

The passage that Rad linked says all that needs to be said on the subject, Beorn was so adverse to the idea of wearing the pelts of innocent animals that Gandalf was terrified by the mere thought of mentioning the subject around him.
    Thanks for confirming what i just said!

No! Fur is plain & simply hair, the raw material to make wool thread & fabric. Pelt is the raw material to make leather. You don't need to kill any animal to get furry clothings.
    Fur clothing is made from pelts with the fur still on. You could hardly be more wrong if you tried.

Arrow

Fur clothing is made from pelts with the fur still on. You could hardly be more wrong if you tried.
    While you are absolutely right about the material and the lore, why not (if it is not already in the game) getting a similar cape but using a textile made of plants and calling it "cape of the something-green":

Source: https://www.primitiveways.com/ki.html
    Dear reader, I tend to edit my posts A LOT, sorry. Please don't be hasty, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Carallot View Post
    While you are absolutely right about the material and the lore, why not (if it is not already in the game) getting a similar cape but using a textile made of plants and calling it "cape of the something-green"
    Using big leaves as a rain-cape is a lot easier if you live somewhere tropical like Hawaii

What about fur without hair, a.k.a. leather?

Quote Originally Posted by thinx View Post
    What about fur without hair, a.k.a. leather?
    Beorn can always go barefoot

Thanks for confirming what i just said!

If you honestly believe that anything I wrote in any way confirms the nonsense you've been sprouting then I suggest you work on your comprehension skills.
    - Will Rogers

There are a lot of early examples of shoes made without leather. The oldest human footwear ever found were made of sagebrush bark, found in a cave in Oregon, roughly 8 thousand years old, they were in remarkably good condition. The ancient Egyptians made their sandals from papyrus leaves. The point is that Beorn could easily have been clothed from head to toe without ever having to harm any innocent animals. I assure you that I'm not saying any of this from a vegan perspective, I love meat and eat more of it than what is good for me, just pointing out that Tolkien left us in no doubt that Beorn was a vegetarian.
    - Will Rogers

That was more a hint that ingame reality is far beyond the point that the lore discussion here would suggest.
    The OP could just rephrase to get a furry cloak for no specific class and silently use it on a Beorning.

Quote Originally Posted by thinx View Post
    That was more a hint that ingame reality is far beyond the point that the lore discussion here would suggest.
    The OP could just rephrase to get a furry cloak for no specific class and silently use it on a Beorning.
    That's a good point actually.
    - Will Rogers

There are a lot of early examples of shoes made without leather. The oldest human footwear ever found were made of sagebrush bark, found in a cave in Oregon, roughly 8 thousand years old, they were in remarkably good condition. The ancient Egyptians made their sandals from papyrus leaves. The point is that Beorn could easily have been clothed from head to toe without ever having to harm any innocent animals. I assure you that I'm not saying any of this from a vegan perspective, I love meat and eat more of it than what is good for me, just pointing out that Tolkien left us in no doubt that Beorn was a vegetarian.
    I know there are, I just couldn't resist the pun

The equivalent traditional material in a 'Northlands' setting would be woven birch-bark. (Or Beorn could wear clogs, although with such large feet that'd look pretty funny).

Quote Originally Posted by thinx
    The OP also suggested an outright Beorning theme and that would be going a bit far. It's not unfair to point out that game or no, skin-changers probably shouldn't be wearing fur if they tended to follow in Beorn's footsteps (except I imagine that maybe one of the grim, bad ones might wear a Warg-pelt just to make a point). It's an RP thing if nothing else.

Since farriers plainly exist in Middle-earth from what Tolkien wrote, SSG should consider the OP's suggestion for all classes / races in general as a cosmetic item. It is true that in the Lore Beornings have a special relationship with bears and wouldn't; that is immaterial, however, when it comes to the cosmetic suggestion for adding new cosmetic items to the game in general that are of this nature. The Lossoth might wear such cloaks, and so might other kinds of North-men in general, and so forth.

If you're really into lore-heavy roleplaying, if you are a Mannish traveler who is not a Beorning who is wearing such a cloak, I'd advise to leave it behind before crossing the High Pass into the Wolf-denes and Beorning-lands, or else beware! *Laughs!* It won't be the same kind of high toll Gloin and the Dwarves complained of :P

It all amounts to that it would be nice to have hoodless versions of the Lossoth cloaks and other furry, bulkier cloak cosmetics in the game in general, and in that respect, / signed.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Phantion; May 14 2022 at 11:09 AM.
    Landrovel Player; I am Phantion on the forums only and do not have a corresponding avatar in-game with that name on any server. Cheers! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantion View Post
    Since farriers plainly exist in Middle-earth from what Tolkien wrote, SSG should consider the OP's suggestion for all classes / races in general as a cosmetic item. It is true that in the Lore Beornings have a special relationship with bears and wouldn't; that is immaterial, however, when it comes to the cosmetic suggestion for adding new cosmetic items to the game in general that are of this nature. The Lossoth might wear such cloaks, and so might other kinds of North-men in general, and so forth.

If you're really into lore-heavy roleplaying, if you are a Mannish traveler who is not a Beorning who is wearing such a cloak, I'd advise to leave it behind before crossing the High Pass into the Wolf-denes and Beorning-lands, or else beware! *Laughs!* It won't be the same kind of high toll Gloin and the Dwarves complained of :P

It all amounts to that it would be nice to have hoodless versions of the Lossoth cloaks and other furry, bulkier cloak cosmetics in the game in general, and in that respect, / signed.
    Furriers, mate, farriers shoe horses

Stuff like this isn't "lore-heavy", it's like 'Beorning 101' that Beorn loved animals and most of the men of his line were meant to be like him in heart. Much like the thing about them not being entirely fond of Dwarves. Anyway the OP did specifically say Beornings, not everybody. I've said this before, that guys who can actually turn into bears (and are awfully big besides) wouldn't need to wear big shaggy cloaks or anything else animal-themed to try to impress. Leave the dressing up to furry wannabes like the Gauredain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast