We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 101 to 108 of 108
  1. #101
    I am happy to report that the game has not crashed, nor have I had any problem running discord and youtube with multiple tabs of google open.

    Success!

    Dare I fiddle with the graphics yet? I'd buy you all a cup of coffee and bake you a cake if I could but I hope my thank you is enough. So thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    OK then.

    Get into the game and reach the character selection/creation screen. Go to OPTIONS->GRAPHICS. Near the top in the QUALITY section look for GRAPHICS HARDWARE LEVEL and use the menu to select DIRECTX11. You will then have to log out, quit the client, and relaunch it for the change to take effect. Then perform some in-game testing/playing without making any other changes to the settings. Be sure you not only do things in the game (such as teleporting/passing through portals, using some flashy skills) but also tab out to other applications then back into the LOTRO client. I very strongly recommend remaining in ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed while performing this testing; in fact, unless you have a very good reason to use Full Screen Mode, plan to remain in Full Screen Windowed Mode no matter what other changes you might care to make later.

    You might not run into any issues, and if so: Awesome! That means the issues you were experiencing before were most likely a result of the game guessing very badly when attempting to determine what your best graphics settings should be within the 64-bit client.

    However, if you are unable to launch the 64-bit client with DirectX 11 enabled, or it crashes on you, or you just don't like the performance; there are things we can do to attempt to address those issues. So give it a try then report back here.

    Please note also that a crash a few times a day assuming a lot of hours played in a day are not uncommon for anybody especially in graphically-demanding areas such as Minas Tirith or where there are very many players gathered together such as at music festivals. That's not to say you should expect that or be happy about it, but the LOTRO client, even the 64-bit version, is prone to these sorts of problems. I mention this because it might be better to do your testing away from such demanding or busy areas so that if you do run into some issues during your testing we can be confident that they're something we need to address rather than something you need to live with just like everybody else who plays this game.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    Imatia and Calding: Caelestis already did that, essentially. UserPreferences64.ini was deleted entirely and UserPreferences.ini was emptied and then filled only with parameters to run the 32-bit client with certain display output settings. That is all. As far as launching the LOTRO launcher is concerned, the UserPreferences.ini file was null – i.e. it was the same as not being there at all – but if Caelestis's report is correct then the LOTRO launcher failed to run. The .ini file had nothing to do with that failure. Therefore, deleting the My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online folder or the My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\UserPreferences.ini file should have no effect on Caelestis's ability to successfully launch the LOTRO launcher application, lotrolauncher.exe.

    Please allow me to complete my attempt to resolve this issue with Caelestis. If you see me suggest something that is on the wrong track, I will welcome your interjection. Or if I get to the point where I run out of ideas, I will state that and ask for someone else to step in. For now, I need the instructions I am providing to be followed without changes or sidetracks which might result from other people's instructions getting in the way. I know you want to help, but just as I kept out of other people's earlier attempts to resolve this problem, I need you to do the same for now.
    If you actually look at what I suggested and the timing of it, you will see that I did not suggest anything that would prevent you from continuing your investigation when you got back on the forums. And it had been over 4 hours since they stated they could not launch the game and a few hours after they asked to just be able to launch the game again. I was very careful to suggest a solution that would let you go back to your investigation later (renaming the config file with the values you had asked them to paste into it), while still allowing them to get up and running while waiting (an empty config will usually get workable defaults).

    The time you spend on the forums trying to help with Windows client issues is admirable, but please don't call people out when they make a suggestion to help someone who is locked out of the game, due to a typo in the instructions, and asking for help while you are not online. Neither comment was particularly disruptive to your diagnosis and the OP had expressly reached out to the forum asking to just get back into the game hours before we responded.
    Last edited by Calding; Today at 08:02 AM.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis_Tintanie View Post
    I am happy to report that the game has not crashed, nor have I had any problem running discord and youtube with multiple tabs of google open.

    Success!
    That's great! I'm glad to hear you're able to enjoy the game without significant issues. Have fun!


    Quote Originally Posted by Calding View Post
    If you actually look at what I suggested and the timing of it, you will see that I did not suggest anything that would prevent you from continuing your investigation when you got back on the forums. And it had been over 4 hours since they stated they could not launch the game and a few hours after they asked to just be able to launch the game again. I was very careful to suggest a solution that would let you go back to your investigation later (renaming the config file with the values you had asked them to paste into it), while still allowing them to get up and running while waiting (an empty config will usually get workable defaults).

    The time you spend on the forums trying to help with Windows client issues is admirable, but please don't call people out when they make a suggestion to help someone who is locked out of the game, due to a typo in the instructions, and asking for help while you are not online. Neither comment was particularly disruptive to your diagnosis and the OP had expressly reached out to the forum asking to just get back into the game hours before we responded.
    Most of the time, there are multiple hours or even a day or two between each communication in a forum support thread between me and another person. This thread was an exception as Celaestis provided very quick feedback and with the exception of a few hours where I had to get actual work done, I was at or near my computer the entire day.

    I didn't "call you out" – I asked politely for you to defer offering support until my attempts were exhausted unless you determined that I was making a significant error. This wasn't based on ego, but based on the need for steps to be followed in a certain order and my need to compile the next set of instructions (if needed) from the results produced by my last set of instructions. Results being changed due to the user following other instructions (which I might not notice being delivered) have, in the past, either taken the troubleshooting steps in the wrong direction or required me and the user to start over from the beginning, both of which waste a great deal of time.

    I didn't tell you to "stay on your side of the road" or "don't butt in to things that aren't your business" or any of the similar rude things I've been told when interjecting with a comment or suggestion related to someone else's attempt to help another user. And I haven't stepped in to "take over" a support thread except in those cases, such as this one, where it became obvious to me that the user has been taken in the wrong direction or the person attempting to help is running out of steam. I wish I could have written something that wouldn't have offended you, and I did my best to do that; I'm sorry I failed but I do think you took it personally in a way that I could not have anticipated. The value of incremental results informing next steps might not have occurred to you, but that is the process needed to get these things done efficiently and to optimize the chance for a positive result in the end.

    It's understandable that someone just wants to get back in the game, that's what many support threads are about. However, patience is required because we are dealing with a message board and humans – both the users in need of assistance and those volunteering their time – who have other demands on their time including the need to work, eat, sleep, deal with family, etc. Leaning over someone's shoulder or using a screen-sharing service would be much faster! But it's not an option here and in fact there is a lot of value in message board threads like this one over time because all of this will be searchable by others who might experience a similar issue in the future, allowing them to potentially resolve their own problem with much less time invested to do so.

    In this specific case, there was both an issue with the desktop shortcut and the auto-selected graphics settings being chosen by the game for the 64-bit client when there wasn't a UserPreferences64.ini file with appropriate parameters already in place. Deleting or replacing or making changes to the .ini files or their enclosing folder at that point would have disrupted the process I was using to eventually determine that those were the causes of the reported symptoms. Which is the only reason I asked you and Imatia to allow that process to continue uninterrupted. Would it have been possible to reverse what the two of you suggested in order to get back to the process? Yes. But that would have been additional steps which would have introduced additional opportunity for user error, which is why I wanted to prevent that from happening.

  4. #104
    I'm grateful it runs, but what can we do about the graphics settings now?
    Last edited by Caelestis_Tintanie; Today at 01:59 PM.

  5. #105
    I'm sorry you are unhappy with the way the way the game looks now. $500 dollars spent on a game and then for it to not function the way you want it to would be upsetting to say the least.

    What does it do now if you turn the graphics settings up? I would now do like Tralfaz and I mentioned earler in the thread by turning the settings up and adjusting them 1 at a time until you find a happy medium of looks and what your video card is handling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    That's great! I'm glad to hear you're able to enjoy the game without significant issues. Have fun.......I asked you and Imatia to allow that process to continue uninterrupted.
    To be fair your very next set of instructions said to delete the game and uninstall anyhow. Please leave me out of any arguments you two may have. I'm only here spending my time to help a fellow Middle Earther.
    Last edited by Imatia_Narene; Today at 02:18 PM.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis_Tintanie View Post
    I'm grateful it runs, but what can we do about the graphics settings now?
    I am assuming that you are running the 64-bit client, that you have DirectX 11 set as your GRAPHICS HARDWARE LEVEL in OPTIONS->GRAPHICS, and that you are continuing to experience no crashing or other issues.

    Remember that you have a backup of your .ini files, in fact your entire The Lord of the Rings Online folder from your My Documents folder. So if you end up making a change that causes the 64-bit client to fail to launch or run poorly, you can always pull your backup and get right back to where you are now. I think you should feel confident bumping the graphics up or changing them in any other way you like to suit you. As I wrote earlier, just remain in Full Screen Windowed Mode, make whatever other changes you like, preferably one at a time with a brief period of testing before making a subsequent change. And if you can’t get things working after making a change and can’t revert the change using the in-game OPTIONS panel, restore from your backup.

    Is there something about the graphics in general that are bothering you? Do they look worse in some way relative to the way they look with the 32-bit client or your experience in the past with the same hardware?

    It could be something quite simple. For example, the .ini files are currently written with Antialiasing turned off. Even just 2x Antialiasing can make a very large difference in quality, Antialiasing reduces “the jaggies”. It can also sometimes cause issues in LOTRO for some combinations of video cards and drivers. But this is something you can enable and adjust using the in-game OPTIONS panel, so if you don’t like the results you can just disable Antialiasing again – or restore from your backup if enabling Antialiasing prevents you from being able to get back into the game to make the change using the in-game OPTIONS panel. Try enabling Antialiasing at 2x, you'll find it in OPTIONS->GRAPHICS in the DISPLAY section just under the ASPECT RATIO setting.

    Another setting that often makes a very large difference is the texture filtering scheme. The .ini files are currently written with Trilinear filtering. Change that to Anisotropic filtering and set the quality to Level 4. You will find this in OPTIONS->ADV GRAPHICS in the TEXTURING section not too far from the top. Once again, this is easily reverted if it doesn't work out for you.

    I am taking a wild guess here, but if you think the graphics still just “look bad” even with Antialiasing (2x) enabled and texture filtering set to Anisotropic (4) it is possible that the game is using your Intel integrated graphics rather than your discrete graphics card. If you think this might be the case, do this:
    1- Be sure neither the LOTRO launcher application nor the client are running.
    2- Open your My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\UserPreferences64.ini file with your favorite text editor.
    3- Look for the line…
    DisplayAdapter=0
    and change it so that…
    DisplayAdapter=1
    4- SAVE the file then quit out of your text editor.
    5- Get into the game and see if that makes any immediate positive difference for you. If so, great! If not, log out and quit then go back to the UserPreferences64.ini file and change that line back to…
    DisplayAdapter=0

    If you are unhappy with the graphics quality in some way, try to be specific about what is making you unhappy. It is possible that one or some combination of the three things I described in this message will improve things for you, but if not, write back with as much specificity as you can and we'll figure it out together.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Imatia_Narene View Post
    To be fair your very next set of instructions said to delete the game and uninstall anyhow. Please leave me out of any arguments you two may have.
    That instruction was based on a report that the LOTRO launcher application was failing to run. Which was my fault due to a typo in my previous set of instructions. Which is why we did not proceed with the deletion and reinstall once we discovered and corrected my mistake. Which changes nothing about my motivation for asking for other people to not interfere with the troubleshooting process I use.

    I didn't put you into any argument. Your earlier response was very mature and appropriate so I don't know why you felt the need to become defensive and insult me now by adding your own opprobrium to Calding's.

    Whatever, I am tired of explaining myself and rehashing the reasons and motivations for things I wrote here when I have done my best to be polite and respectful. Please put me on your ignore list so that I can't bother you anymore. You and Calding are now on mine.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    That instruction was based on a report that the LOTRO launcher application was failing to run.
    And mine was to get her back to default settings because something had obviously went wrong with what you had told her do and was asking the forum for help after several hours.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    I didn't put you into any argument. Your earlier response was very mature and appropriate so I don't know why you felt the need to become defensive and insult me now by adding your own opprobrium to Calding's.

    Whatever, I am tired of explaining myself and rehashing the reasons and motivations for things I wrote here when I have done my best to be polite and respectful. Please put me on your ignore list so that I can't bother you anymore. You and Calding are now on mine.
    I had stepped out of the thread until you brought my name into it again. Your above comment is very immature and deserving of an apology. Please tell me how I insulted you by asking you to leave me out of your argument and I'll give one in turn.

 

 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload