We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis_Tintanie View Post
    Thank you for helping me comprehend all this and work through it.

It's been stable so far. I'll run the disk check thing in a bit.

One odd thing I noticed, I don't know if it's relevant at all, but after I put the userinterface as .ini.old at the end I noticed they didn't have .ini to begin with at all, neither one (64 file or 32).
    Once I put the .old on there and started double clicked the launcher (admin rights yes/no popped up as usual, then it asked me if I want to install some high rez graphic files packages that are 6g+. I panicked and clicked no, thinking it was going to reinstall the entire game, i'm fairly certain all those files already were downloaded. I closed it up and restarted everything and the option wasn't there anymore to download all those files.
    I hope it was a redundant download and not something important.
    I know why you didn't see the file extension. lol. Windows hides them from you by default now. You have to enable it to see them... Your files are probably name userprofile.ini.old.ini if you typed .ini.old as the name. No matter. If you have new UserPreferences file and a UserPreferences64 file you can delete the old ones now.

If you want to enable the computer to show you hidden folders and file extensions click on the tools bar on a folder and select folder options or another way is to type folder options from the start menu. Open folder options. Go to the view tab. Find where the section is that says hidden files and folders. Select the option to show them and uncheck hide extensions and push apply and Ok. Me personally, none of my settings are set on hide anything lol.

Last edited by Imatia_Narene; May 13 2022 at 08:53 PM.

You might have your system set to hide file extensions. If so, I strongly suggest that you enable the display of file extensions before proceeding with any further troubleshooting steps, especially those that involve editing or copying/moving the two LOTRO .ini files.

You can find instructions for enabling the display of file extensions here:
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/show-file-extensions

edit: I got that in late, carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    You might have your system set to hide file extensions. If so, I strongly suggest that you enable the display of file extensions before proceeding with any further troubleshooting steps, especially those that involve editing or copying/moving the two LOTRO .ini files.

You can find instructions for enabling the display of file extensions here:
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/show-file-extensions

edit: I got that in late, carry on!
    Nice tip

Ok so it froze again. music still playing, sound effects going but no visual movement at all.

Going to do the show-hidden thing and start disk check and let that run its course. Will keep you updated.

Ok so it froze again. music still playing, sound effects going but no visual movement at all.

Going to do the show-hidden thing and start disk check and let that run its course. Will keep you updated.

After you run chkdsk c: /R from the command prompt or do it using the way in the pictures be sure to run sfc /scannow again from the cmd prompt once you're back inside windows.

Think of it like picking a naughty kid up out of a mudhole, filling the mudhole with clean dirt, washing the kid off and setting it on a clean floor. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Imatia_Narene View Post
    After you run chkdsk c: /R from the command prompt or do it using the way in the pictures be sure to run sfc /scannow again from the cmd prompt once you're back inside windows.

Think of it like picking a naughty kid up out of a mudhole, filling the mudhole with clean dirt, washing the kid off and setting it on a clean floor. lol
    Alright, I got my coffee, things done and done. Disk Check, Scannow, display set to 1, full screen set to true.
    graphics settings - varied depending on situation - mostly on high to ultra high to test things
    client is 64

What buttons do I click next?

Alright, I got my coffee, things done and done. Disk Check, Scannow, display set to 1, full screen set to true.
    graphics settings - varied depending on situation - mostly on high to ultra high to test things
    client is 64

What buttons do I click next?
    That depends on what you intend to do next. What do you mean by you changed your display to 1 and full screen on true? Did you you manually edit the config file again?

How was the game running before you changed things compared to after your changes? I would have changed things 1 at a time and tested the game to see if something was causing the issue after prepping the disks and maintenance to get it back at default. Hopefully it's not going to crash anymore lol.

If it starts to give you trouble you can get the default config files back at any time. Just close the game and the launcher. Go to where the UserPreferences.ini and UserPreferences64.ini config files are and rename them at any time to keep for reference if you want the game to regenerate the default files the next time you launch it.

Not sure if you noticed but I sent you a message. Look up at the top of the forum and check private messages.
    Last edited by Imatia_Narene; May 14 2022 at 02:17 PM.

It seems to be running fine to be quite honest. I'm pleasantly surprised.

The only thing i've done since the disk check and sfc/scannow is run the game.

Last night before I ran the diskcheck, I put 1 for the display adapter on the Userinterfaceini64 file and the ForceFakefullscreen thing to true (like mentioned a while ago) but the game crashed after that. Which is when I did the disk check, scan, and went to bed.

Woke up, did a scan again, ran the game as administrator and been alt tabbing and sitting in my yard on ultra high settings. So far no crashing and no hiccups at all. So I haven't touched anything else. Haven't changed any setting or anything.

It seems to be running fine to be quite honest. I'm pleasantly surprised.

The only thing i've done since the disk check and sfc/scannow is run the game.

Last night before I ran the diskcheck, I put 1 for the display adapter on the Userinterfaceini64 file and the ForceFakefullscreen thing to true (like mentioned a while ago) but the game crashed after that. Which is when I did the disk check, scan, and went to bed.

Woke up, did a scan again, ran the game as administrator and been alt tabbing and sitting in my yard on ultra high settings. So far no crashing and no hiccups at all. So I haven't touched anything else. Haven't changed any setting or anything.
    That's great!
    I edited my post above explaining how to get the default config files back if you ever need to.

It bonked again. What are the next steps now?

I sent you a PM in reply but putting this here as well for future readers awareness.

It bonked again. What are the next steps now?

I sent you a PM in reply but putting this here as well for future readers awareness.
    I would double check to see if I the display driver is up to date. You said you're running windows 10 64 bit version and your video card is a GTX 770.

Looking at the Nvidia drivers for your card and it says the last driver update is a security updated graphics driver. Version 472.98 on January 31, 2022.

Look inside your Nvidia control panel and and on the left hand side at the very bottom of the window click on system information. It will open a window showing your video card model and on the other side will be the Nvidia graphics driver version number at the top of the list that is assigned to your video card to use.

If it's not showing you have the 472.98 driver I would update it.
    This is a link to the 472.98 driver is here. https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...x/186164/en-us

For future reference this is the page to find the software drivers for your Nvidia card from their site here. https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I would absolutely put my config UserPreferences64.ini config files back to default before trouble shooting the game settings.

Then I would start the game and put all the graphics settings on low and Select DX9 in the graphics options. Close and restart the game and see how long it ran. If it didn't crash then good. I would then enable your highest DX version and leave the setting on low still and restart the game and let it run. If it still hasn't crashed then Good. Next would be to put the video card to work by Turning things up 1 by 1 in the advanced graphics until you caused a crash. If it took a long time to before it crashed that way, I would go back to my original assumption that it is a possible heat problem.

I would then open the side of the PC and and give it a visual inspection to see if hot air is blowing out of the fan of the graphics card.

I would leave the side open and move a box fan or any type of fan near the side of the case where it could blow air onto the video card.

Then restart the game and let it run and see if crashed again.

Also there is a powerful little utility called speedfan that can give you a readout on all of your system's temperature sensors that are detectable. I really like it because it has built in graph that monitors temperatures while you are running programs and games. https://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

There is also a couple of other things that may help. You have to open the power options in your control panel and change the power plan settings that you are using.

I have high performance plan that I made. You can select your High Performance plan since it's a PC plugged into the wall if I understood you. And you can switch it back to balanced or whatever if you're not gaming or need the power.

The 3 main things to change I would think that are game related is the one about cutting the power down to your PCI express bus, which is the bus your video card is more than likely plugged into if it's showing in the power option.

And the one that stops your harddrives after a certain amount of time.

And the one that controls your CPU output.

And there is one whether you are using a wireless adapter for internet that may cause connection drops and lag.

Here is what I changed mine to. Click on the round radial icon to the left of the power plan to switch to it.

Also another guide telling you how to get to the power plan options on windows 10 and their explanations.

https://geekflare.com/windows-power-options/

Thank you!

So looking inside the pc, it's not bad at all but it the fans on it could use a good dusting. I'll clean it up and do that 'find-a-crash' thing. Thank you again.
    I think I can sort it out from here now that I know all this information )and have it here to redo whats needed) after a thorough clean up. I'm really starting to think this is the last issue with it, overheating. Everything else that was going wrong has been resolved beautifully.

This was the update from microsoft that I had read and was telling you about causing problems on windows 10 last last year. Supposedly it's been fixed and changed. But wouldn't hurt to double check to see if it's installed on your system. If it is uninstall it.

KB5001330

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-recent-win...es-to-stutter/

Go to your control panel and open Programs and Features. On the left side click view installed updates. In the Search bar type: kb5001330. If it's there, Highlight it and uninstall it. And then open windows/microsoft update from the control panel to get the up to date patch.

Thank you!

So looking inside the pc, it's not bad at all but it the fans on it could use a good dusting. I'll clean it up and do that 'find-a-crash' thing. Thank you again.
    I think I can sort it out from here now that I know all this information )and have it here to redo whats needed) after a thorough clean up. I'm really starting to think this is the last issue with it, overheating. Everything else that was going wrong has been resolved beautifully.
    You're welcome. Hope you get it looking the way you want.

I have done every single thing mentioned and STILL the game locks up (but music playing) in the background as if i'm staring at a musical screenshot.

What the hell do I do or is it just time to quit lotro after 3 months of this?

After reading the other comments the only thing I can add is try the built in graphics. Just to see if you get the same error. Your CPU comes with HD Graphics 2500. Check your bios/uefi settings for primary GPU/display options first, and set it to built-in, then remove the nVidia card.

Yes the game will run horribly, but the point is to see if you get the same error with built-in. Maybe enter an instance, then position camera top-down on your toon, and set graphics back to high. Slide show but does it crash.

So the game today is unplayable at all unless I set it to low settings and turn everything else off. It looks like Nintendo.

What happened between last night and this morning to cause this issue to come back again, that i'm unaware of?
    It was running fine on Ultra High graphics for 9 hours last night after all the work we put into this problem to resolve it. I apologize but this is just extremely frustrating and no-sense-making to me.

Does anyone know if server selection could be causing this playing outside of a players region? Like being in NA and playing a EU server?

So the game today is unplayable at all unless I set it to low settings and turn everything else off. It looks like Nintendo.
    Sorry if I missed it, but, do you have trouble with other games? The problems you're having don't sound like they're specific to LotRO.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

No, no issues. I played Black Desert Online before this on max settings without any issue. Final Fantasy 14 and Guild Wars 2 as well.

Caelestis, I think that both Imatia and that extremely rude (but knowledgeable) individual sincerely tried to help you. I salute the time they took to do so and also your patience in trying to solve your problem. However, I think you've been taken in directions that were not necessary. Sure, it helped to clean the cobwebs out of your computer. Sure, it didn't hurt and might have even repaired some minor issue to run a system and disk check. But those things aren't the cause of your problem. If you are successfully running other graphics-heavy games and it's just LOTRO giving you problems, you need to focus on solutions designed to address the symptoms you are reporting – the best way to do that is to duplicate the successful troubleshooting steps used by people who have recently reported the same or similar symptoms. To that effect, I suggest we begin by doing the following:

A- Keep it simple: Start by getting the 32-bit client to work. The value of this is that both the LOTRO launcher application and the 32-bit LOTRO client use the same locally-stored preference file, UserPreferences.ini. The 64-bit client uses a different preference file, UserPreferences64.ini. Working with just one .ini file simplifies things a bit, plus the 32-bit client is less demanding in terms of various Windows bits that the client applications need to run. Don't worry, we'll get the far superior 64-bit client to run, this is just going to make it easier to accomplish that. Therefore:
    1- Be sure the game isn't running: Neither the LOTRO launcher application nor either client application. If you're not sure, restart your computer before proceeding.
    2- Go to My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online and look for the file UserPreferences64.ini and DELETE it.
    3- Go to My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online and look for the file UserPreferences.ini and OPEN it with your favorite text editor.
    4- Select the entire contents of the UserPreferences.ini file (control-a should do it), then DELETE all of it. This should leave you with an empty file.
    5- Enter the following lines exactly as shown, spelling and capitalization count! You can copy-paste if that's easier for you.
    Code:
    GameClientType=1
    ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    FirstRun=false
    KeepLauncherOpen=false
    UseHighResolutionGameData=true
    AllowDesktopCompositing=True
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=True
    FixedOutputScaling=Default
    ForceFakeFullScreen=False
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    SyncToRefresh=False
    TripleBuffering=False
    PlayedIntroMovie=True
    EngineSpeed=VeryHigh
    MaximumFrameRate=30
    I will note that the sequence of the lines is not important.
    6- SAVE the UserPreferences.ini file and then quit out of your text editor.
    7- Attempt to launch the LOTRO launcher application by going to Program Files (x86)\StandingStoneGames\The Lord of the Rings Online and double-clicking on lotrolauncher.exe. Do not use your desktop shortcut if you have one. IMPORTANT: If you are asked if you want to run the 64-bit client, say NO.
    8- Does the LOTRO launcher application launch itself successfully? If not, stop here and report back.
    9- Enter your credentials, select a game world, and click on the PLAY button. Does the LOTRO client start up? Do you get to the character selection/creation screen? Can you create or select a character and get into the game world? If not, stop here and report back.
    10- If you are able to enter the game world with a character, play around for a little while (10 minutes should do). When you're done playing around, go to OPTIONS->ADV GRAPHICS and look for the section labeled SCENERY. Set FRILL DISTANCE to MEDIUM and FRILL DENSITY to .25.
    11- Then log out, then quit out of the client once you get to the character creation/selection screen.
    12- Open My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\UserPreferences.ini with your favorite text editor again. Look for the following two lines:
    Code:
    FrillDensity=0.25
    FrillDistance=Medium
    Then quit out of your text editor without making any changes to the UserPreferences.ini file.
    13- Are those two lines exactly as shown? If so, report back with that information. If those lines don't match exactly, or they don't exist within the file, report back with that information.
    14- Repeat Steps 7-11 but this time, in Step 7, launch the LOTRO launcher application using your desktop shortcut. Does everything still work, and work the same way as it did before? Report back either way.

If you had to stop at Step 8 because the LOTRO launcher didn't run, or if at Step 9 you were not able to get to the character creation/selection screen or were not able to play around a bit without problems, or at Step 13 the lines didn't match, or at Step 14 your desktop shortcut didn't work properly; don't worry: There are things we can do to get you running. Please do the above steps then report back, and then we'll move on to the next phase. This process might take a bit and will require some patience since this sort of step-by-step multiphase support takes time over a public message board; but patience will almost certainly pay off.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Yesterday at 04:56 PM. Reason: fixed a very important file name typo

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I got up to step 8: Reporting Back.
    8- Does the LOTRO launcher application launch itself successfully? If not, stop here and report back.

The game does NOT launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    Caelestis, I think that both Imatia and that extremely rude (but knowledgeable) individual sincerely tried to help you. I salute the time they took to do so and also your patience in trying to solve your problem. However, I think you've been taken in directions that were not necessary. Sure, it helped to clean the cobwebs out of your computer. Sure, it didn't hurt and might have even repaired some minor issue to run a system and disk check. But those things aren't the cause of your problem. If you are successfully running other graphics-heavy games and it's just LOTRO giving you problems, you need to focus on solutions designed to address the symptoms you are reporting – the best way to do that is to duplicate the successful troubleshooting steps used by people who have recently reported the same or similar symptoms. To that effect, I suggest we begin by doing the following:

A- Keep it simple: Start by getting the 32-bit client to work. The value of this is that both the LOTRO launcher application and the 32-bit LOTRO client use the same locally-stored preference file, UserPreferences.ini. The 64-bit client uses a different preference file, UserPreferences64.ini. Working with just one .ini file simplifies things a bit, plus the 32-bit client is less demanding in terms of various Windows bits that the client applications need to run. Don't worry, we'll get the far superior 64-bit client to run, this is just going to make it easier to accomplish that. Therefore:
    1- Be sure the game isn't running: Neither the LOTRO launcher application nor either client application. If you're not sure, restart your computer before proceeding.
    2- Go to My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online and look for the file UserPreferences64.ini and DELETE it.
    3- Go to My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online and look for the file UserPreferences.ini and OPEN it with your favorite text editor.
    4- Select the entire contents of the UserPreferences.ini file (control-a should do it), then DELETE all of it. This should leave you with an empty file.
    5- Enter the following lines exactly as shown, spelling and capitalization count! You can copy-paste if that's easier for you.
    Code:
    GameClientType=1
    ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    FirstRun=false
    KeepLauncherOpen=false
    UseHighResolutionGameData=true
    AllowDesktopCompositing=True
    AllowFakeFullScreen=True
    AllowWindowResizing=True
    ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=True
    FixedOutputScaling=Default
    ForceFakeFullScreen=False
    FullScreen=False
    RefreshRate=Auto
    SyncToRefresh=False
    TripleBuffering=False
    PlayedIntroMovie=True
    EngineSpeed=VeryHigh
    MaximumFrameRate=30
    I will note that the sequence of the lines is not important.
    6- SAVE the UserPreferences.ini file and then quit out of your text editor.
    7- Attempt to launch the LOTRO launcher application by going to Program Files (x86)\StandingStoneGames\The Lord of the Rings Online and double-clicking on lotroclient.exe. Do not use your desktop shortcut if you have one. IMPORTANT: If you are asked if you want to run the 64-bit client, say NO.
    9- Enter your credentials, select a game world, and click on the PLAY button. Does the LOTRO client start up? Do you get to the character selection/creation screen? Can you create or select a character and get into the game world? If not, stop here and report back.
    10- If you are able to enter the game world with a character, play around for a little while (10 minutes should do). When you're done playing around, go to OPTIONS->ADV GRAPHICS and look for the section labeled SCENERY. Set FRILL DISTANCE to MEDIUM and FRILL DENSITY to .25.
    11- Then log out, then quit out of the client once you get to the character creation/selection screen.
    12- Open My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\UserPreferences.ini with your favorite text editor again. Look for the following two lines:
    Code:
    FrillDensity=0.25
    FrillDistance=Medium
    Then quit out of your text editor without making any changes to the UserPreferences.ini file.
    13- Are those two lines exactly as shown? If so, report back with that information. If those lines don't match exactly, or they don't exist within the file, report back with that information.
    14- Repeat Steps 7-11 but this time, in Step 7, launch the LOTRO launcher application using your desktop shortcut. Does everything still work, and work the same way as it did before? Report back either way.

If you had to stop at Step 8 because the LOTRO launcher didn't run, or if at Step 9 you were not able to get to the character creation/selection screen or were not able to play around a bit without problems, or at Step 13 the lines didn't match, or at Step 14 your desktop shortcut didn't work properly; don't worry: There are things we can do to get you running. Please do the above steps then report back, and then we'll move on to the next phase. This process might take a bit and will require some patience since this sort of step-by-step multiphase support takes time over a public message board; but patience will almost certainly pay off.

Is there a way to get the game back to the way it was (with the crashes) so I can atleast play intermittenly while waiting for responses? :\

Is there a way to get the game back to the way it was (with the crashes) so I can atleast play intermittenly while waiting for responses? :\
    If you go to your Documents\The Lord of The Rings Online folder and rename your UserPreferences file that should allow the launcher to work again. If so, select the 32-bit client and see if it will launch and run alright. After testing that for a bit you can try getting the 64-bit client working again. Hopefully it will at least get you back in the game for now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast