We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 65 of 65
  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis_Tintanie View Post
    Thank you for helping me comprehend all this and work through it.

    It's been stable so far. I'll run the disk check thing in a bit.

    One odd thing I noticed, I don't know if it's relevant at all, but after I put the userinterface as .ini.old at the end I noticed they didn't have .ini to begin with at all, neither one (64 file or 32).
    Once I put the .old on there and started double clicked the launcher (admin rights yes/no popped up as usual, then it asked me if I want to install some high rez graphic files packages that are 6g+. I panicked and clicked no, thinking it was going to reinstall the entire game, i'm fairly certain all those files already were downloaded. I closed it up and restarted everything and the option wasn't there anymore to download all those files.
    I hope it was a redundant download and not something important.
    I know why you didn't see the file extension. lol. Windows hides them from you by default now. You have to enable it to see them... Your files are probably name userprofile.ini.old.ini if you typed .ini.old as the name. No matter. If you have new UserPreferences file and a UserPreferences64 file you can delete the old ones now.

    If you want to enable the computer to show you hidden folders and file extensions click on the tools bar on a folder and select folder options or another way is to type folder options from the start menu. Open folder options. Go to the view tab. Find where the section is that says hidden files and folders. Select the option to show them and uncheck hide extensions and push apply and Ok. Me personally, none of my settings are set on hide anything lol.

    Last edited by Imatia_Narene; May 13 2022 at 08:53 PM.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    1,127
    You might have your system set to hide file extensions. If so, I strongly suggest that you enable the display of file extensions before proceeding with any further troubleshooting steps, especially those that involve editing or copying/moving the two LOTRO .ini files.

    You can find instructions for enabling the display of file extensions here:
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/show-file-extensions

    edit: I got that in late, carry on!

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    You might have your system set to hide file extensions. If so, I strongly suggest that you enable the display of file extensions before proceeding with any further troubleshooting steps, especially those that involve editing or copying/moving the two LOTRO .ini files.

    You can find instructions for enabling the display of file extensions here:
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/show-file-extensions

    edit: I got that in late, carry on!
    Nice tip

  4. #54
    Ok so it froze again. music still playing, sound effects going but no visual movement at all.

    Going to do the show-hidden thing and start disk check and let that run its course. Will keep you updated.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis_Tintanie View Post
    Ok so it froze again. music still playing, sound effects going but no visual movement at all.

    Going to do the show-hidden thing and start disk check and let that run its course. Will keep you updated.


    After you run chkdsk c: /R from the command prompt or do it using the way in the pictures be sure to run sfc /scannow again from the cmd prompt once you're back inside windows.

    Think of it like picking a naughty kid up out of a mudhole, filling the mudhole with clean dirt, washing the kid off and setting it on a clean floor. lol

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Imatia_Narene View Post
    After you run chkdsk c: /R from the command prompt or do it using the way in the pictures be sure to run sfc /scannow again from the cmd prompt once you're back inside windows.

    Think of it like picking a naughty kid up out of a mudhole, filling the mudhole with clean dirt, washing the kid off and setting it on a clean floor. lol
    Alright, I got my coffee, things done and done. Disk Check, Scannow, display set to 1, full screen set to true.
    graphics settings - varied depending on situation - mostly on high to ultra high to test things
    client is 64

    What buttons do I click next?

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis_Tintanie View Post
    Alright, I got my coffee, things done and done. Disk Check, Scannow, display set to 1, full screen set to true.
    graphics settings - varied depending on situation - mostly on high to ultra high to test things
    client is 64

    What buttons do I click next?
    That depends on what you intend to do next. What do you mean by you changed your display to 1 and full screen on true? Did you you manually edit the config file again?

    How was the game running before you changed things compared to after your changes? I would have changed things 1 at a time and tested the game to see if something was causing the issue after prepping the disks and maintenance to get it back at default. Hopefully it's not going to crash anymore lol.

    If it starts to give you trouble you can get the default config files back at any time. Just close the game and the launcher. Go to where the UserPreferences.ini and UserPreferences64.ini config files are and rename them at any time to keep for reference if you want the game to regenerate the default files the next time you launch it.

    Not sure if you noticed but I sent you a message. Look up at the top of the forum and check private messages.
    Last edited by Imatia_Narene; May 14 2022 at 02:17 PM.

  8. #58
    It seems to be running fine to be quite honest. I'm pleasantly surprised.

    The only thing i've done since the disk check and sfc/scannow is run the game.

    Last night before I ran the diskcheck, I put 1 for the display adapter on the Userinterfaceini64 file and the ForceFakefullscreen thing to true (like mentioned a while ago) but the game crashed after that. Which is when I did the disk check, scan, and went to bed.

    Woke up, did a scan again, ran the game as administrator and been alt tabbing and sitting in my yard on ultra high settings. So far no crashing and no hiccups at all. So I haven't touched anything else. Haven't changed any setting or anything.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis_Tintanie View Post
    It seems to be running fine to be quite honest. I'm pleasantly surprised.

    The only thing i've done since the disk check and sfc/scannow is run the game.

    Last night before I ran the diskcheck, I put 1 for the display adapter on the Userinterfaceini64 file and the ForceFakefullscreen thing to true (like mentioned a while ago) but the game crashed after that. Which is when I did the disk check, scan, and went to bed.

    Woke up, did a scan again, ran the game as administrator and been alt tabbing and sitting in my yard on ultra high settings. So far no crashing and no hiccups at all. So I haven't touched anything else. Haven't changed any setting or anything.
    That's great!
    I edited my post above explaining how to get the default config files back if you ever need to.

  10. #60
    It bonked again. What are the next steps now?

    I sent you a PM in reply but putting this here as well for future readers awareness.

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis_Tintanie View Post
    It bonked again. What are the next steps now?

    I sent you a PM in reply but putting this here as well for future readers awareness.
    I would double check to see if I the display driver is up to date. You said you're running windows 10 64 bit version and your video card is a GTX 770.

    Looking at the Nvidia drivers for your card and it says the last driver update is a security updated graphics driver. Version 472.98 on January 31, 2022.

    Look inside your Nvidia control panel and and on the left hand side at the very bottom of the window click on system information. It will open a window showing your video card model and on the other side will be the Nvidia graphics driver version number at the top of the list that is assigned to your video card to use.

    If it's not showing you have the 472.98 driver I would update it.
    This is a link to the 472.98 driver is here. https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...x/186164/en-us

    For future reference this is the page to find the software drivers for your Nvidia card from their site here. https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

    I would absolutely put my config UserPreferences64.ini config files back to default before trouble shooting the game settings.

    Then I would start the game and put all the graphics settings on low and Select DX9 in the graphics options. Close and restart the game and see how long it ran. If it didn't crash then good. I would then enable your highest DX version and leave the setting on low still and restart the game and let it run. If it still hasn't crashed then Good. Next would be to put the video card to work by Turning things up 1 by 1 in the advanced graphics until you caused a crash. If it took a long time to before it crashed that way, I would go back to my original assumption that it is a possible heat problem.

    I would then open the side of the PC and and give it a visual inspection to see if hot air is blowing out of the fan of the graphics card.

    I would leave the side open and move a box fan or any type of fan near the side of the case where it could blow air onto the video card.

    Then restart the game and let it run and see if crashed again.

    Also there is a powerful little utility called speedfan that can give you a readout on all of your system's temperature sensors that are detectable. I really like it because it has built in graph that monitors temperatures while you are running programs and games. https://www.almico.com/speedfan.php


  12. #62
    There is also a couple of other things that may help. You have to open the power options in your control panel and change the power plan settings that you are using.

    I have high performance plan that I made. You can select your High Performance plan since it's a PC plugged into the wall if I understood you. And you can switch it back to balanced or whatever if you're not gaming or need the power.

    The 3 main things to change I would think that are game related is the one about cutting the power down to your PCI express bus, which is the bus your video card is more than likely plugged into if it's showing in the power option.

    And the one that stops your harddrives after a certain amount of time.

    And the one that controls your CPU output.

    And there is one whether you are using a wireless adapter for internet that may cause connection drops and lag.


    Here is what I changed mine to. Click on the round radial icon to the left of the power plan to switch to it.



    Also another guide telling you how to get to the power plan options on windows 10 and their explanations.

    https://geekflare.com/windows-power-options/

  13. #63
    Thank you!

    So looking inside the pc, it's not bad at all but it the fans on it could use a good dusting. I'll clean it up and do that 'find-a-crash' thing. Thank you again.
    I think I can sort it out from here now that I know all this information )and have it here to redo whats needed) after a thorough clean up. I'm really starting to think this is the last issue with it, overheating. Everything else that was going wrong has been resolved beautifully.

  14. #64
    This was the update from microsoft that I had read and was telling you about causing problems on windows 10 last last year. Supposedly it's been fixed and changed. But wouldn't hurt to double check to see if it's installed on your system. If it is uninstall it.

    KB5001330

    https://www.pcgamer.com/a-recent-win...es-to-stutter/

    Go to your control panel and open Programs and Features. On the left side click view installed updates. In the Search bar type: kb5001330. If it's there, Highlight it and uninstall it. And then open windows/microsoft update from the control panel to get the up to date patch.

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis_Tintanie View Post
    Thank you!

    So looking inside the pc, it's not bad at all but it the fans on it could use a good dusting. I'll clean it up and do that 'find-a-crash' thing. Thank you again.
    I think I can sort it out from here now that I know all this information )and have it here to redo whats needed) after a thorough clean up. I'm really starting to think this is the last issue with it, overheating. Everything else that was going wrong has been resolved beautifully.
    You're welcome. Hope you get it looking the way you want.

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload