We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    And then delete Mounted Combat in 33.0.5?

Whilst I appreciate that people do like it and am happy it is there for those people - personally I hate it

But then, I havent taken the time to master it which is no doubt part of the reason for not liking it

Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    Clearly not - it's part of entire Rohan experience, also Rohan would be pretty lame without mounted enemies running around. Still, sparingly used mounted enemies in Gondor were pretty cool immersion-wise, I would like to see more of it someday. Maybe in Rhun or in the deserts of Harad
    Oh, I don't think they should eliminate the mounted enemies at all. Just make them run around less (like they did in Wells of Langflood) so we can effectively fight them on foot without them disappearing for minutes at a time halfway across the map.
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone / Landroval / Anor

Quote Originally Posted by Trelach View Post
    Whilst I appreciate that people do like it and am happy it is there for those people - personally I hate it

But then, I havent taken the time to master it which is no doubt part of the reason for not liking it
    You got it. It was a steep curve but came with auto slowdown and gait options which peeps chose for an easier time of it, stopping dead the chance to develop the skill to master. We all started circling like "Injuns" around a waggon train from a 50s B movie on release.

Until some realised that we had a top gun simm, with quirky ordinance on some classes, on our hands. You get shot down when the enemy is on your "six". If you mashed buttons and never read skill tooltips you could bring mobs from off the map. The sacrifice on medium just a further cop out to mastering it. Letting it stagnate yet another reason to avoid it. I guess many have their feet planted when in combat and can barely spin around for a bask stab in a stunned mob let alone deal with the concept of multiple moving targets whilst moving yourself. Input overload - zero output.

Quote Originally Posted by Braer View Post
    Sure: Kill the thing that you don't understand . . .
    Some of us prone to motion sickness can't use them all. I'm prone to car sickness but never experienced anything near as disabling as the motion sickness I got from war steed - nearly called an ambulance as I wasn't familiar with the more severe effects of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness Had they focused on skills that related to our class instead of on steering they would have been great but as they are only 1 of my chars has ever done the intro - just miss out on 2 book chapters and Hytbold deed for Cliving. Be nice if they removed the only counts if one is on a warsteed requirement from everything so those of they make sick aren't penalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonde View Post
    Some of us prone to motion sickness can't use them all. I'm prone to car sickness but never experienced anything near as disabling as the motion sickness I got from war steed - nearly called an ambulance as I wasn't familiar with the more severe effects of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness Had they focused on skills that related to our class instead of on steering they would have been great but as they are only 1 of my chars has ever done the intro - just miss out on 2 book chapters and Hytbold deed for Cliving. Be nice if they removed the only counts if one is on a warsteed requirement from everything so those of they make sick aren't penalized.
    Had a kinnie in the same boat. An option to use normal mount movement tech in some way should have been provided. I got caught out by the now default skill use highlighting and forget after making a new toon to switch to simple until I'm going dizzy and about to puke. If I'm behind the wheel of a car my inputs are matching how the car responds, as a passenger my eyes have to be on the road so that the physics I experience have a corresponding visual tie. I'm no good on a rough night channel crossing (Newhaven-Dieppe never again).

With so many "haters" the usual Turbine default was to write off rather than fix. It all left in place for us to work around and out of their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    Oh, I don't think they should eliminate the mounted enemies at all. Just make them run around less (like they did in Wells of Langflood) so we can effectively fight them on foot without them disappearing for minutes at a time halfway across the map.
    There are no 'mounted' enemies in Wells of Langflood, only the warg raiders we've seen in Moria (regular mob mechanics, the goblin always dies with the steed etc). As much as I appreciate them appearing in the Wells they're no nowhere near the immersion the 'roaming' fast running mounted combat enemies give (...even if they're a bit clunky sometimes). THIS was a huge part of immersion and a challenge too, when you suddenly found out you run all across a map through the plains of Rohan chasing them and all sorts of on-foot mobs got engaged (thought if that's too uncomfortable, annoying, I wouldn't mind if the latter part was made easier). If you take away that ability you're effectively stripping that combat of any cool immersion factor it had so you might as well remove it completely and put all enemies on foot (but please, no). Rohan was built all around mounted so it was expected but it was a nice surprise to run into these packs of mounted Rhun/Harad raiders in Gondor, solo mobs are good but when you see heavy horse raiders like that you really get that immersive feeling there is an actual war ongoing. LOTRO got this pretty well-balanced almost to the end, until the Black Serpent instance where, probably due to technical reason, that entire fight with the Serpent was mostly on foot and then Theoden just happens to enter the scene and anticlimactically kill him... rather than clash with the mounted Black Serpent and his bodyguards. The instance still *did* have mounted combat, so at least there was a semblance of them raiding war steeds so you can tell they're a contingent of horse raiders, I guess a compromise by the devs.

I wouldn't really object if mounted combat was rebalanced/tweaked, but keep the riding distances/animations/existing mobs intact or else risk cheapening the immersion. Personally, whatever they do with it to address some of the complaints, I would like for it to be used again where suitable. You run a character across the entire map and spam the same attacks for 100+ levels... some sort of variety in the game IS welcome
    Last edited by TesalionLortus; May 14 2022 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TesalionLortus View Post
    There are no 'mounted' enemies in Wells of Langflood, only the warg raiders we've seen in Moria (regular mob mechanics, the goblin always dies with the steed etc). As much as I appreciate them appearing in the Wells they're no nowhere near the immersion the 'roaming' fast running mounted combat enemies give (...even if they're a bit clunky sometimes).
    I think he was referring to the incident where the warg-riders were coded-in for mounted combat upon release. You should have seen the discussion that took place then. MadeofLions chimed in many times about the situation: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...mbat-is-broken.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdJedi View Post
    I think he was referring to the incident where the warg-riders were coded-in for mounted combat upon release. You should have seen the discussion that took place then. MadeofLions chimed in many times about the situation: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/show...mbat-is-broken.
    Irrelevant. Though this was already fixed when I played the region, so never even realized. Sounds like they initially placed real-mounted-warg-raiders AI rather than fake-mounted-wargs-raiders AI (so how they work in Moria, the regular AI/regular mechanics) by mistake. But as of now, the raiders in the Wells are the fake ones, nothing to do with mounted combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix_Piper View Post
    If your character is at current level cap or close to it do you keep a bridle slotted? Do they serve any purpose for a traveling only war steed?
    Dump the bridal and do what apparently most of ssg has done and just use the warmount as a fast A to B traveller .
    I've done it one better I have got rid of my medium mounts and went to Light mounts on all my toons . The extra speed isnt so much the extra bling , just the overall better agility and response a Light mount has is the winning factor for me .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2