We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Problem with Erebor

Hey Guys,

did someone else had issues with entering erebor? The Game worked well until I tried to enter Erebor. Now I'm stuck in loading screen on my Mac with Crossover. When I log in with my old Computer (Windows) I can enter into Erebor.
    When I'm leaving Erebor on my PC, I can play with my Mac again.
    Is there a way to fix that problem?

Im running on a MacBook Pro M1 Pro with:

Mac OS 12.1
    Crossover Version 21.1 (21.1.0.33869)

Quote Originally Posted by VincentSkyy View Post
    did someone else had issues with entering erebor? The Game worked well until I tried to enter Erebor. Now I'm stuck in loading screen on my Mac with Crossover. When I log in with my old Computer (Windows) I can enter into Erebor.
    When I'm leaving Erebor on my PC, I can play with my Mac again.
    Is there a way to fix that problem?

Im running on a MacBook Pro M1 Pro with:

Mac OS 12.1
    Crossover Version 21.1 (21.1.0.33869)
    Hi, Vincent! Someone else had this issue recently. The problem is related to either your use of DirectX 11 with the Vulkan backend (i.e. with DXVK Backend for D3D11 un-checked in your bottle settings – the Vulkan backend is the default if you have DXVK un-checked); or your graphics settings being too high for your Mac to handle in that more recently-released and therefore more graphically-demanding zone.

Take a look at this thread:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...n-screen-issue
    Look first at Message #9. If the solution there doesn't work, look at Message #3.

I suspect that your solution willl end up being the need to use the DXVK Backend for D3D11 rather than the Vulkan backend. This is one of the reasons I recommend against using the Vulkan backend – in other words, I recommend being sure that DXVK Backend for D3D11 is checked on in your bottle settings. While there are exceptions, most people have experienced better performance and compatibility with the DXVK backend vs the Vulkan backend.

So the first thing to try is to enable the DXVK Backend for D3D11 in your bottle settings. If the DXVK Backend for D3D11 was enabled already, try changing from DirectX 11 to DirectX 9. If you were already using DirectX 9 or switching from 11 to 9 doesn't do the job, try knocking your graphics settings down: Start as low as they'll go and then experiment to see how high you can set them without experiencing a problem.

If you need a detailed procedure for doing any of these things, let me know and I'll provide that for you.

Regardless of your results, please report back here so we can all learn from your repair attempts. Good luck!
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Dec 26 2021 at 10:14 AM. Reason: FOR not OF

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    Hi, Vincent! Someone else had this issue recently. The problem is related to either your use of DirectX 11 with the Vulkan backend (i.e. with DXVK Backend for D3D11 un-checked in your bottle settings – the Vulkan backend is the default if you have DXVK un-checked); or your graphics settings being too high for your Mac to handle in that more recently-released and therefore more graphically-demanding zone.

Take a look at this thread:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...n-screen-issue
    Look first at Message #9. If the solution there doesn't work, look at Message #3.

I suspect that your solution willl end up being the need to use the DXVK Backend for D3D11 rather than then Vulkan backend. This is one of the reasons I recommend against using the Vulkan backend – in other words, I recommend being sure that DXVK Backend for D3D11 is checked on in your bottle settings. While there are exceptions, most people have experienced better performance and compatibility with the DXVK backend vs the Vulkan backend.

So the first thing to try is to enable the DXVK Backend for D3D11 in your bottle settings. If the DXVK Backend for D3D11 was enabled already, try changing from DirectX 11 to DirectX 9. If you were already using DirectX 9 or switching from 11 to 9 doesn't do the job, try knocking your graphics settings down: Start as low as they'll go and then experiment to see how high you can set them without experiencing a problem.

If you need a detailed procedure for doing any of these things, let me know and I'll provide that for you.

Regardless of your results, please report back here so we can all learn from your repair attempts. Good luck!

Hi Tralfazz,

thank you very much. You are insane! Massage #9 (making sure DXVK Backend für D3D11 is checked) worked for me. I can play now without a problem so far.

Hi Tralfazz,

Thanks for helping so many people here. Could you possibly help me out too? Whenever I try to use Crossover to install it, it says task failed. Thanks!

-Phoenix
    Last edited by Phoenix303; Jan 16 2022 at 09:48 PM.
    [FONT=harrington][SIZE=+1][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000023c41/01008/signature.png]Angarian[/charsig][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix303 View Post
    Whenever I try to use Crossover to install it, it says task failed.
    I’m happy to help. You need to provide me with some basic information:
    –What is the model of your Mac?
    –How much RAM does your Mac have?
    –What video card does your Mac have and how much VRAM does the video card have?
    –What version of MacOS are you running?
    –What version of Crossover are you using?
    –What is the bottle type into which you are attempting to install LOTRO? (Is it a Windows 10 64-bit bottle or something else?)
    –Which of the bottle settings are checked and which are un-checked?
    –Did you follow the instructions in Message #17 of this thread, or did you just use the “crosstie” i.e the automated process Crossover uses to install things for you “the easy way” which in the case of LOTRO often doesn’t work correctly?

I know you want to write as little as possible and just get a quick and easy answer so you can get to playing but it doesn’t usually work out that way! Whatever the problem is, we’ll fix it and you’ll be playing in no time. But I need more information than “It didn’t work!” in order to help you.

I’m happy to help. You need to provide me with some basic information:
    –What is the model of your Mac?
    –How much RAM does your Mac have?
    –What version of MacOS are you running?
    –What version of Crossover are you using?
    –What is the bottle type into which you are attempting to install LOTRO? (Is it a Windows 10 64-bit bottle or something else?)
    –Which of the bottle settings are checked and which are un-checked?
    –Did you follow the instructions in Message #17 of this thread, or did you just use the “crosstie” i.e the automated process Crossover uses to install things for you “the easy way” which in the case of LOTRO often doesn’t work correctly?

I know you want to write as little as possible and just get a quick and easy answer so you can get to playing but it doesn’t usually work out that way! Whatever the problem is, we’ll fix it and you’ll be playing in no time. But I need more information than “It didn’t work!” in order to help you.
    Hi Tralfazz,

Thanks for getting back to me, appreciate the help!

–What is the model of your Mac? MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)
    –How much RAM does your Mac have? 16GB
    –What version of MacOS are you running? Monterey 12.1
    –What version of Crossover are you using? Version 21.1
    –What is the bottle type into which you are attempting to install LOTRO? (Is it a Windows 10 64-bit bottle or something else?) It is Windows 10 64-bit
    –Which of the bottle settings are checked and which are un-checked? DXVK Backend for D3D11 and Performance Enhanced Graphics are checked, High Resolution Mode and Default Bottle and Performance Enhanced Synchronization (ESync) are unchecked
    –Did you follow the instructions in Message #17 of this thread, or did you just use the “crosstie” i.e the automated process Crossover uses to install things for you “the easy way” which in the case of LOTRO often doesn’t work correctly? I followed the instructions and used the exe I downloaded myself

I just keep getting task failed when doing the step "Installing Lord of the Rings Online" in Crossover.

Thanks again for the help here!

Best,
    Phoenix
    [FONT=harrington][SIZE=+1][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000023c41/01008/signature.png]Angarian[/charsig][/SIZE][/FONT]

–What is the model of your Mac? MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)
    –How much RAM does your Mac have? 16GB
    –What version of MacOS are you running? Monterey 12.1
    –What version of Crossover are you using? Version 21.1
    –What is the bottle type into which you are attempting to install LOTRO? (Is it a Windows 10 64-bit bottle or something else?) It is Windows 10 64-bit
    –Which of the bottle settings are checked and which are un-checked? DXVK Backend for D3D11 and Performance Enhanced Graphics are checked, High Resolution Mode and Default Bottle and Performance Enhanced Synchronization (ESync) are unchecked
    –Did you follow the instructions in Message #17 of this thread, or did you just use the “crosstie” i.e the automated process Crossover uses to install things for you “the easy way” which in the case of LOTRO often doesn’t work correctly? I followed the instructions and used the exe I downloaded myself

I just keep getting task failed when doing the step "Installing Lord of the Rings Online" in Crossover.
    Thanks for the great detail.

Everything seems to be the way it should be.
    edit: With one exception: Check DEFAULT BOTTLE in your bottle settings. It isn't the reason you are experiencing your problem but having that checked will make some future instructions for you a little easier.

Did you install "DirectX for Modern Games"? If not, do that before proceeding.

Where is your lotrolive.exe file? Make a note of it, you will need to locate it later.

Use this procedure to install LOTRO using the lotrolive.exe file which you downloaded from this website:
    1- Select the bottle you have prepped for LOTRO.
    2- With your bottle selected in the left-hand column of the Crossover window, click on INSTALL A WINDOWS APPLICATION at the bottom of the Crossover window.
    3- When you see the SELECT AN APPLICATION TO INSTALL window, click on BROWSE ALL APPLICATIONS in the lower-left corner of that window.
    4- At the bottom of the list that appears in the window, choose UNLISTED APPLICATION and then click CONTINUE in the lower-right corner of that window.
    5- When you see the SELECT AN INSTALLER SOURCE window, click on CHOOSE INSTALLER FILE.
    6- Use the dialogue that appears to navigate your way to the location of the lotrolive.exe file which you downloaded from this website. It is probably in your ~/Downloads folder but you might have put it somewhere else.
    7- Continue with the installation process.
    8- Report back with your results.

That ought to work. If not, please tell me at what point the "task failed" message appears in the process above, and exactly what you see on the screen just before and at the moment that message appears.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Jan 17 2022 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks for the great detail.

Everything seems to be the way it should be.
    edit: With one exception: Check DEFAULT BOTTLE in your bottle settings. It isn't the reason you are experiencing your problem but having that checked will make some future instructions for you a little easier.

Did you install "DirectX for Modern Games"? If not, do that before proceeding.

Where is your lotrolive.exe file? Make a note of it, you will need to locate it later.

Use this procedure to install LOTRO using the lotrolive.exe file which you downloaded from this website:
    1- Select the bottle you have prepped for LOTRO.
    2- With your bottle selected in the left-hand column of the Crossover window, click on INSTALL A WINDOWS APPLICATION at the bottom of the Crossover window.
    3- When you see the SELECT AN APPLICATION TO INSTALL window, click on BROWSE ALL APPLICATIONS in the lower-left corner of that window.
    4- At the bottom of the list that appears in the window, choose UNLISTED APPLICATION and then click CONTINUE in the lower-right corner of that window.
    5- When you see the SELECT AN INSTALLER SOURCE window, click on CHOOSE INSTALLER FILE.
    6- Use the dialogue that appears to navigate your way to the location of the lotrolive.exe file which you downloaded from this website. It is probably in your ~/Downloads folder but you might have put it somewhere else.
    7- Continue with the installation process.
    8- Report back with your results.

That ought to work. If not, please tell me at what point the "task failed" message appears in the process above, and exactly what you see on the screen just before and at the moment that message appears.
    Hi Tralfazz,

Thanks for the guidance here. Unfortunately the DirectX also receives task failed as soon as I try to install it to the bottle. Oddly when I tried installing as unlisted application it did complete the task "Installing Unlisted Application" but it was extremely quick and clearly didn't install LOTRO. Once it was complete nothing had changed for the bottle that I can tell.

-Phoenix

Unfortunately the DirectX also receives task failed as soon as I try to install it to the bottle. Oddly when I tried installing as unlisted application it did complete the task "Installing Unlisted Application" but it was extremely quick and clearly didn't install LOTRO. Once it was complete nothing had changed for the bottle that I can tell.
    If you are getting a failure when trying to install DirectX for Modern Games... Honestly, I don't know what is causing that failure, I have never experienced that or anything like it myself and no one else has ever reported that specific failure. Whatever it is, it's preventing you from installing both DirectX for Modern Games and LOTRO; and probably anything else you might try to install.

Are you running any virus scanner, malware detector, Mac Cleaner, Mac Speeder-Upper, Super-Duper-Mac-Protecto or some other similar thing? If so, please report that in your next reply. And if so, that is most likely the reason you are having trouble. If so, please disable or delete your scanner. Many scanners don't play well with Crossover. You might be able to "whitelist" Crossover in your scanner application using these instructions as a guide, but I suggest you just get rid of your scanner if you have one because you don't really need it:
    https://www.codeweavers.com/support/...al/bitdefender

Regardless of the existence of a scanner on your Mac, the thing to try next is to fully delete Crossover, all its support and preference files, and all your bottles. Here's how:
    https://www.codeweavers.com/support/...rial/uninstall
    Follow all the instructions on that page but don't use the automated script that Codeweavers provides at the bottom of that page. Then delete the lotrolive.exe file you downloaded from this website.

When you're done performing all those steps, and Crossover and your bottles are thoroughly removed from your Mac, restart your Mac. Then download Crossover and install it. Then download lotrolive.exe from this website. Then create your Windows 10 64-bit bottle, be sure the bottle settings are correct. Then install DirectX for Modern Games. Then install LOTRO using the lotrolive.exe installer file using the detailed instructions I provided in Message #257 of this thread.

If you get that failure again when you attempt to install DirectX for Modern Games, STOP THERE. Don't try to install LOTRO. Report back here. There might be something related to your permissions or firewall getting in the way.

I hope this solves your problem! If not, don't give up, we'll get you going eventually. Please report back with as much detail as possible.

If you are getting a failure when trying to install DirectX for Modern Games... Honestly, I don't know what is causing that failure, I have never experienced that or anything like it myself and no one else has ever reported that specific failure. Whatever it is, it's preventing you from installing both DirectX for Modern Games and LOTRO; and probably anything else you might try to install.

Are you running any virus scanner, malware detector, Mac Cleaner, Mac Speeder-Upper, Super-Duper-Mac-Protecto or some other similar thing? If so, please report that in your next reply. And if so, that is most likely the reason you are having trouble. If so, please disable or delete your scanner. Many scanners don't play well with Crossover. You might be able to "whitelist" Crossover in your scanner application using these instructions as a guide, but I suggest you just get rid of your scanner if you have one because you don't really need it:

Regardless of the existence of a scanner on your Mac, the thing to try next is to fully delete Crossover, all its support and preference files, and all your bottles. Here's how:
    Follow all the instructions on that page but don't use the automated script that Codeweavers provides at the bottom of that page. Then delete the lotrolive.exe file you downloaded from this website.

When you're done performing all those steps, and Crossover and your bottles are thoroughly removed from your Mac, restart your Mac. Then download Crossover and install it. Then download lotrolive.exe from this website. Then create your Windows 10 64-bit bottle, be sure the bottle settings are correct. Then install DirectX for Modern Games. Then install LOTRO using the lotrolive.exe installer file using the detailed instructions I provided in Message #257 of this thread.

If you get that failure again when you attempt to install DirectX for Modern Games, STOP THERE. Don't try to install LOTRO. Report back here. There might be something related to your permissions or firewall getting in the way.

I hope this solves your problem! If not, don't give up, we'll get you going eventually. Please report back with as much detail as possible.
    Hi Tralfazz,

Awesome advice here, much appreciated. I'll take another crack at this using your guidance and report back!

Best,
    Phoenix

Hi Tralfazz,

Thanks again for the help here. Unfortunately I tried those steps to no success. I have no scanner of any sort and I turned off the firewall and deleted and redownloaded both Crossover and LOTROlive.exe and the Crossover platform once again failed when installing the DirectX for Modern Games. No worries if there's no other steps to try as I was just looking to revisit the game a little and not a big deal on my end!

-Phoenix

Unfortunately I tried those steps to no success. I have no scanner of any sort and I turned off the firewall and deleted and redownloaded both Crossover and LOTROlive.exe and the Crossover platform once again failed when installing the DirectX for Modern Games. No worries if there's no other steps to try as I was just looking to revisit the game a little and not a big deal on my end!
    Assuming you followed the directions to fully scrub Crossover from your Mac before reinstalling it, I am stumped. I have never seen this issue before. Your specific model of Mac, the version of MacOS you're running, and the version of Crossover you're running are identical to that used with success by others to install and run LOTRO. I just don't have any data on which to base another possible solution for you. I'm sorry, this is the first full-stop failure I've ever seen someone experience. With no reasonable cause for the problem or some other clue, I just don't have anything further to suggest at this time.

Not that it will help you to get LOTRO going but I wonder if you can install any Windows software with Crossover. Try something simple, like Notepad++ which is a simple (and free) text editor for Windows:
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org
    If you can't install and run that, well, I won't say I'd be surprised since you can't even get DirectX for Modern Games to install. Such a failure to install and run Notepad++ in addition to DirectX for Modern Games would begin to signal that there's something wrong with your Mac or your installation of MacOS (most likely the latter, I doubt there's something wrong with your hardware) rather than some issue with Crossover.

Perhaps you can try Crossover again after the next point update to MacOS 12 Monterey. It is not completely impossible that such an update would resolve your problem.

If I think of something I will reply to you again. You might want to subscribe to this thread so that you will get an email notification when a new post is added to the thread.

-----
    Wait a minute, I did think of one thing to check: Is the Mac user account you are using an "Admin" account? Go to System Preferences->Users & Groups and take a look at the list of users. If the user account you are using does not have the word "Admin" under its name, it is not an Admin account. If that is the case, change its privileges to make it an Admin account.

Assuming you followed the directions to fully scrub Crossover from your Mac before reinstalling it, I am stumped. I have never seen this issue before. Your specific model of Mac, the version of MacOS you're running, and the version of Crossover you're running are identical to that used with success by others to install and run LOTRO. I just don't have any data on which to base another possible solution for you. I'm sorry, this is the first full-stop failure I've ever seen someone experience. With no reasonable cause for the problem or some other clue, I just don't have anything further to suggest at this time.

Not that it will help you to get LOTRO going but I wonder if you can install any Windows software with Crossover. Try something simple, like Notepad++ which is a simple (and free) text editor for Windows:
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org
    If you can't install and run that, well, I won't say I'd be surprised since you can't even get DirectX for Modern Games to install. Such a failure to install and run Notepad++ in addition to DirectX for Modern Games would begin to signal that there's something wrong with your Mac or your installation of MacOS (most likely the latter, I doubt there's something wrong with your hardware) rather than some issue with Crossover.

Perhaps you can try Crossover again after the next point update to MacOS 12 Monterey. It is not completely impossible that such an update would resolve your problem.

If I think of something I will reply to you again. You might want to subscribe to this thread so that you will get an email notification when a new post is added to the thread.

-----
    Wait a minute, I did think of one thing to check: Is the Mac user account you are using an "Admin" account? Go to System Preferences->Users & Groups and take a look at the list of users. If the user account you are using does not have the word "Admin" under its name, it is not an Admin account. If that is the case, change its privileges to make it an Admin account.
    Hi Traflazz,

No worries at all! As to your last point I do have admin privileges and surprisingly the NPP did download. Thanks again for working on this with me!

-Phoenix

This is working great for me (and has been for a couple years now), but I have one question. I have a new M1 Air running Monterey 12.2.1, and the one thing I notice is that I can't get the enabling of vertical sync to work. My display will only do 60 FPS at 1080p, but even when I enable vertical sync at 60 Hz, I can often get 110 FPS or more. Now that's great performance, but I feel like this is making the machine work harder and run hotter than it needs to. Has anyone been able to get vertical sync to work so I only generate 60 FPS? I've managed to get this to work elsewhere, but not here.
    Last edited by ziggy29; Feb 16 2022 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
    This is working great for me (and has been for a couple years now), but I have one question. I have a new M1 Air running Monterey 12.2.1, and the one thing I notice is that I can't get the enabling of vertical sync to work. My display will only do 60 FPS at 1080p, but even when I enable vertical sync at 60 Hz, I can often get 110 FPS or more. Now that's great performance, but I feel like this is making the machine work faster and run hotter than it needs to. Has anyone been able to get vertical sync to work so I only generate 60 FPS? I've managed to get this to work elsewhere, but not here.
    Hi, ziggy29! Vsync syncronizes your frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate. It FORCES the frame rate to match the refresh rate. But of course, nothing is free. Your processor has to work harder and/or you are going to drop frames or have other quality/performance issues. If your processor has to work harder, it is going to generate more heat. More heat is not good for an M1 MacBook Air because it has no vents or fans. And when it gets hot enough it is going to throttle, i.e. slow down and that is going to compound whatever other performance issues you might experience.

In the case of monitors with low refresh rates, enabling Vsync will artificially cap your framerate – that means you will potentially get LOWER framerates if your rig can otherwise produce a framerate higher than your monitor's refresh rate.

I do not suggest Vsync for any Mac user of LOTRO, whether running the game in Crossover or in some other flavor of WINE. If you find your Mac running hot, cap your framerate in the OPTIONS->TROUBLESHOOTING panel. But leave Vsync disabled unless you are specifically instructed to enable it to correct some problem such as screen tearing. Otherwise, you are capping your framerate artificially low (if your monitor has a low refresh rate) or pushing your processor in ways it shouldn't be pushed (if your monitor has a high refresh rate), and possibly even introducing input lag. Vsync is not a magical way to increase your framerate, don't treat it that way.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I hope you find it informative, though.

I do not suggest Vsync for any Mac user of LOTRO, whether running the game in Crossover or in some other flavor of WINE. If you find your Mac running hot, cap your framerate in the OPTIONS->TROUBLESHOOTING panel. But leave Vsync disabled unless you are specifically instructed to enable it to correct some problem such as screen tearing. Otherwise, you are capping your framerate artificially low (if your monitor has a low refresh rate) or pushing your processor in ways it shouldn't be pushed (if your monitor has a high refresh rate), and possibly even introducing input lag. Vsync is not a magical way to increase your framerate, don't treat it that way.
    Thanks, but I'm not trying to increase my frame rate. I'm trying to *decrease* it because it was working harder than it needed to when my display only does 60 Hz (I didn't *want* it doing 110 FPS when my display can only do 60, that's just making it work harder and hotter than necessary). Maybe the answer is still the same, though. I didn't even know that option in the Troubleshooting area was there. I've set that to 60 FPS and disabled vertical sync. That seems to do exactly what I wanted, thanks! It's showing (usually) about 60.2 or 60.3 FPS, and definitely running a good 15ºC cooler now.
    Last edited by ziggy29; Feb 16 2022 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
    Thanks, but I'm not trying to increase my frame rate. I'm trying to *decrease* it because it was working harder than it needed to when my display only does 60 Hz (I didn't *want* it doing 110 FPS when my display can only do 60, that's just making it work harder and hotter than necessary). Maybe the answer is still the same, though. I didn't even know that option in the Troubleshooting area was there. I've set that to 60 FPS and disabled vertical sync. That seems to do exactly what I wanted, thanks! It's showing (usually) about 60.2 or 60.3 FPS, and definitely running a good 15ºC cooler now.
    Just to add to my last note, a few data points on frame rate and CPU temps on my M1 MacBook Air (late 2020, 16 GB, using Crossover 21.1 and Monterey 11.2.1 with external display at 1920x1080 and mostly medium-high settings):

* Full speed -- usually around 110 FPS, typical CPU temp around 80-85ºC (Ouch! Nothing wrong with that briefly, but probably not good for hours at a time!)
    * Set to 60 FPS -- CPU temp ~65ºC
    * Set to 30 FPS -- CPU temp ~45ºC

So if you don't want your M1 to cook, or if your display only does 60 Hz, take it down to 60. (Really, if your display doesn't support more than 60 FPS, you are making your Mac work harder and hotter for nothing.) If you really want cool as a cucumber and you can tolerate it, going to 30 will keep it from breaking a sweat.
    Last edited by ziggy29; Feb 18 2022 at 08:27 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11