We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is a new class in the works? Perhaps in the next expansion as is traditional for LOTRO.

Reported in Massively Overpowered today:

>There's a new class on its way to Lord of the Rings Online according to one of the weekly streams from Standing Stone Games. And that is all we know about it at this point; the latest video from YouTuber Andang just below points out that as of yet we haven't even been given a name<

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen any discussion of this on the game forums.

I don't follow the streams I rely on these forums for announcements, rumors and the like.

/sigh

I hope not.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

There's already thread on this and it has been on the top of the list in these forums in case you missed it. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...s-is-necessary
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

The Black Appendage of Sauron

I know there is a different thread on whether there *should* be a new class and felt it best to not even hint at a personal opinion. I am not trying to undercut that thread.

But not everything reported is necessarily accurate and if SSG was publicly discussing a new class I would hope that it would be mentioned on these forums.

Maybe Cordovan will move this to "Off-Topic".

I really don’t have anything against it, but i don’t see the need for it. All the roles are already covered.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I really don’t have anything against it, but i don’t see the need for it. All the roles are already covered.
    It's about options, change, variation, hype. Something new and refreshing. Even if SSG can't come up with another class that feels unique (given their track record, I highly doubt they can't), we can have different or distinct forms or versions of the same class. We can have another wizard type, we already have 3 and they all feel unique. We can have another melee warrior called berzerker. If they could make champs, guards, wardens, who says they can't make another that is different. Just for the sake of giving us something new.

You guys have problem-thinking. You always ask what's wrong with something, why something can't be done, what could go wrong, what makes no sense. This way of thinking has its applications and merits, but when you're thinking about a VIDEO GAME that serves no purpose other than entertainment, it makes no sense to create artificial bounderies.

Quote Originally Posted by Joetzim View Post
    You guys have problem-thinking. You always ask what's wrong with something, why something can't be done, what could go wrong, what makes no sense. This way of thinking has its applications and merits, but when you're thinking about a VIDEO GAME that serves no purpose other than entertainment, it makes no sense to create artificial bounderies.
    In the same vein, you refuse to see what is already wrong and needs fixing prior to adding more incomplete and poorly functional content. Additionally, if there are no boundaries then this ceases to become LotRO and makes it like the rest of the #### out there.

Fix first, add relevant content later.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewyze View Post
    In the same vein, you refuse to see what is already wrong and needs fixing prior to adding more incomplete and poorly functional content. Additionally, if there are no boundaries then this ceases to become LotRO and makes it like the rest of the #### out there.

Fix first, add relevant content later.
    But this was always the rhetoric of people like you. Always! No new content until the bugs are fixed. And look, it never really happened. I venture to say the game was in the same buggy state when the Beorning got released. They won't just stop to fix the bugs, they've never done that in the history of the game. It's content, content, content, some fixes, balance work, content, content...

I've been playing for many years and I can count the actual bugs that prevented me from progressing on one hand. That's how many times I had to call a GM because I was stuck in some way. In 6 years, in over 15k hours of in-game time (because I'm a nolifer), in playing probably ever quest, every class, and every instance in the game at every difficulty, I can count the game-breaking bugs on one hand.

Of course, a lot of skills, traits, and class mechanics are not working as intended. But hell, don't ever ask them to fix those, they break twice as many things in the process.

It's about options, change, variation, hype. Something new and refreshing. Even if SSG can't come up with another class that feels unique (given their track record, I highly doubt they can't), we can have different or distinct forms or versions of the same class. We can have another wizard type, we already have 3 and they all feel unique. We can have another melee warrior called berzerker. If they could make champs, guards, wardens, who says they can't make another that is different. Just for the sake of giving us something new.

But none of this change the fact that the roles are already covered, with the exception of an unarmed fighter and that is no where in Lord of the Rings.

But go right ahead and keep saying that we have a problem with thinking. And it's not an artificial boundary. SSG has to stay within certain limits, if not for legal reason of which I know nothing about, but a very dedicated lore abiding player base.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by TheHylianLink98 View Post
    Maybe Cordovan will move this to "Off-Topic".
    This actually has to do with LOTRO, rather than a study about gambling in Australia with no connection to the game.

To answer the question, though, it's a bit unfortunate that my statement last Friday was extrapolated into a "new class announced". To be clear: We are not announcing a new class. Will a new class come to LOTRO sometime in the future? Probably! But there's nothing to announce at this time. We've been thinking about it is all.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    This actually has to do with LOTRO, rather than a study about gambling in Australia with no connection to the game.

To answer the question, though, it's a bit unfortunate that my statement last Friday was extrapolated into a "new class announced". To be clear: We are not announcing a new class. Will a new class come to LOTRO sometime in the future? Probably! But there's nothing to announce at this time. We've been thinking about it is all.
    I think about being a multi-billionaire...doesn't mean it's likely.
    "Not all those who wander are lost." -Tolkien
    "No matter where you go, there you are." -Confucius

This comment made me laugh so hard xD why can’t lotro devs always be this funny this reminds me of the interaction between scenario and MoL back on the Br #2 forum hilarious!

Sthrax is offline Defender of the Hornburg
    Wandering, but not lost
    Here is the thing- SSG has a boundary they cannot simply ignore, the IP. Everything in-game needs to be justifiable in the lore, mainly from the Lord of the Rings books, its appendices, or The Hobbit. Now you could argue that it is a burden to creativity and options, and you might be right. But whether or not it does provide a burden is irrelevant, that requirement has to be met. As a player of Lord of the Rings Online, I EXPECT the game to take the lore seriously and I absolutely don't want things that are out of place. I don't want Panda Samurai riding steampunk zeppelins into battle, if I did, I wouldn't be playing a game set in Middle-earth.

So if a new class were to be made, it needs to be lore appropriate, it can't be "evil" (so no corsairs or sorcerers) because the IP owner dictates players have to be on the "good" side, and ideally it should offer something new to gameplay. There isn't a whole lot that meets all three of those. Closest I can think of are a "Ranger" class that mashes up hunter, champ, and maybe captain- good single target range, good single target melee and ability to inspire/buff (but not as good as the originals at those things) and a Knight/Cavalier class that has heavy focus on mounted combat (which would require opening MC to all regions in the game, working on warsteeds -imbued Bridles, leveling them beyond their current max- and perhaps it is an "Elite" class that starts you off in Rohan when you get your warsteed at lvl75(?)).
    Last edited by Sthrax; Sep 20 2018 at 01:24 PM.

Cordovan thank you for the reply.

Cordovan, would you mind asking if it would perhaps be possible to let us change class on already made characters someday? Many of us have a lot of the same class since we want to follow the story from the beginning many times, but due to there not being that many classes to pick between we might have ended up with many of the same class. Would be nice to be able to switch class on some of them It could be a Store feature that could let us switch to one of the classes available for the race we picked
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrax View Post
    it can't be "evil"
    But it could be a class that gets to the right place but uses questionable tactics to complete it.... Not all has to be hero
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrax View Post
    Here is the thing- SSG has a boundary they cannot simply ignore, the IP. Everything in-game needs to be justifiable in the lore, mainly from the Lord of the Rings books, its appendices, or The Hobbit. Now you could argue that it is a burden to creativity and options, and you might be right. But whether or not it does provide a burden is irrelevant, that requirement has to be met. As a player of Lord of the Rings Online, I EXPECT the game to take the lore seriously and I absolutely don't want things that are out of place. I don't want Panda Samurai riding steampunk zeppelins into battle, if I did, I wouldn't be playing a game set in Middle-earth.

So if a new class were to be made, it needs to be lore appropriate, it can't be "evil" (so no corsairs or sorcerers) because the IP owner dictates players have to be on the "good" side, and ideally it should offer something new to gameplay. There isn't a whole lot that meets all three of those. Closest I can think of are a "Ranger" class that mashes up hunter, champ, and maybe captain- good single target range, good single target melee and ability to inspire/buff (but not as good as the originals at those things) and a Knight/Cavalier class that has heavy focus on mounted combat (which would require opening MC to all regions in the game, working on warsteeds -imbued Bridles, leveling them beyond their current max- and perhaps it is an "Elite" class that starts you off in Rohan when you get your warsteed at lvl75(?)).
    I think you're underestimating the power that SSG have, or even if not, their inventive ways of story telling. Just one man on the team alone, made Sauron almost win the war as we see Minas Tirith fall and pippin being carried off by a black rider from the prow. We fought Shadow, a Balrog of Morgoth the same way. One thing Turbine/SSG is really good at, is story telling and spinning yarns to make things fit. I have no doubt in their abilities to create a new class in the future, because of that
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

One way to play an “evil” race/class while still being “good” might be to have a kind of “turncoat” class - either a Hill-man or an Easterling, for example, with the introduction explaining how they escape their cruel masters and become a deserter and join the free peoples. Would make for some nice RP opportunities.

One class could be a Easterling warrior. They could be strong in melee and/or ranged combat, maybe with spears/halberds/two handed axes, with penalties to morale to represent their changeable nature. Maybe use poisons to increase attack power.

Another class idea could be a Hill-man “thug”, perhaps also related to the turncoat idea. A thug could be a tank style class with melee-only capabilities, with high morale, resistance and mitigation (just a hunk of muscle, too dumb to be affected by many tactical attacks). Could have bonus damage when using clubs/maces as these are underused weapon types and would fit with their unskilled background. Attacks could have stun effects to represent their sheer brute force. Weaknesses could be lack of self heals and no ability to shake off stuns, poisons etc so would need to rely on potions and other players for this. They would probably wear medium armour, but have toughness boosting “feel no pain” type skills to compensate.

Not expecting or necessarily wanting any of these ideas, just throwing a few thoughts out there.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

"in the next expansion as is traditional for LOTRO" ??

So far we have got new classes with an expansion exactly once: Runekeeper and Warden which were part of the Moria expansion.
    Beorning is the only other new class we have got, and it was not part of any expansion.

Once is not enough to make it a tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    "in the next expansion as is traditional for LOTRO" ??

So far we have got new classes with an expansion exactly once: Runekeeper and Warden which were part of the Moria expansion.
    Beorning is the only other new class we have got, and it was not part of any expansion.

Once is not enough to make it a tradition.
    +10, people have short memories. It's right there with "I want SSG to develop a new class because they know what they are doing and have a great track record"...smh.

Bottom line, people are bored with the game and instead of just logging off and finding something else to do they want SSG to waste what little resources they have in creating a new class.
    This game has bigger problems they need to tackle first before even thinking about developing a new class.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfoot View Post
    +10, people have short memories. It's right there with "I want SSG to develop a new class because they know what they are doing and have a great track record"...smh.

Bottom line, people are bored with the game and instead of just logging off and finding something else to do they want SSG to waste what little resources they have in creating a new class.
    This game has bigger problems they need to tackle first before even thinking about developing a new class.
    I don't think anyone is disputing that there are more important issues that need to be addressed first. I'm not anyway. I do think a new class in the future would be a good addition however. that said, if the game keeps going down the road it's currently on with all the lootbox cancelling grind, I probably won't be around to see it if it does come.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

The entire discussion of whether a new class is needed, and whether existing problems should be fixed, entirely misses the point. Looking at it from a gameplay point of view just clouds the question.

The real question is whether a new class, included as part of an expansion in the expensive packages the way high elf was with Mordor, will significantly increase revenue and/or will get many people to try the class out, continue their subscriptions longer and spend money in the store on the new characters.

If the answer is yes it makes sense to do it.