We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I am having the same issues, since the patch happened, can't open the display window at all. The program launches, loads, can hear the sound, but no display at all, the icon is in the taskbar, any attempt to tab to it or click on it flickers the screen and switches straight back to the desktop. As if it can't get fullscreen access or is trying to change to a resolution that's incompatible. Have tried the repair options from the launcher, no joy, graphics card drivers are not so old and every other game I play (a great many, including most other major MMOs) are working fine.

Just LOTRO is broken and just since the last patch, last played 6 days ago without any problems.

My screen is max 1024x768, GTX730 2GB, Windows 7.

Hopefully the devs will take a look to see what they broke, did they change the minimum resolution on the loading/character select screen or something, as that's what will not display, can't get in to the full game to test.

After playing some other games to test something hadn't wrecked the DX drivers, and running a diagnostic on the drivers, and trying the reset display settings option (Launcher -> Options dropdown -> Repair tab, select and accept reset of drivers, will ask if you are sure you want to reset on launch). It finally worked and got in on the fourth reset attempt. Some of my in-game windows seem to have shifted a little, the chat window particularly. Thankfully that worked, I wanted to get the Eriador pack on special whilst I wasn't VIP for a change. Would've been pissed if I couldn't get in all week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    and there aren't mere "warnings" but a full stop "nope".
    blah, blah, blah, does this mean you have tried them ??

OK, dx10 runtime installer (that hurin says doesnt exist) is here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=8109

dx11 is more problematical, as M$ didnt issue it as a discrete package, but mixed it up in the Windows update files; there are a number of 3rd party links that claim to link to the installer, some of them from websites I truest, but Hurin is only interested in me posting direct M$ links.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    blah, blah, blah, does this mean you have tried them ??
    Yes.

OK, dx10 runtime installer (that hurin says doesnt exist) is here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=8109
    Nope. As already pointed out in this thread, that's just the redistributable version of the DX9 Web Installer.

My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that the DirectX redistributable (from here) only covers DirectX 9 runtimes. Note that at the bottom, under "additional information," it says: "If you would like the websetup version of the runtime package, please click here" which points to the "web installer" which states explicitly that it "provides updates to 9.0c and previous versions of DirectX."

. . . now with visual aid:

. . . I would be curious, however, to hear why you thought it's DX10 and would declare it so with such confidence.

dx11 is more problematical, as M$ didnt issue it as a discrete package, but mixed it up in the Windows update files; there are a number of 3rd party links that claim to link to the installer, some of them from websites I truest, but Hurin is only interested in me posting direct M$ links.
    Considering your prior history of installing "snake oil" on the word of strangers on the internet (yet not trusting the provider of your operating system), I'd be wary of any "3rd party" provider of something that Microsoft themselves doesn't provide. But hey, if you think replacing crucial subsystems and system files of your operating system with 3rd party-crafted packages is the way to go. . . more power to ya! I do find your concept of "trust" and how you determine who is trustworthy fascinating, though.

Oh, and nice goalposts you've moved there. . . from "you might consider reinstalling DX10 and DX11" to "Okay, well, I meant that you can't really do that unless you go and download 3rd party, unsupported packages from strangers on the internet, risking the integrity of your OS, and causing who knows what issues, but I knew this all along and that's what I meant."

blah, blah, blah,
    Sadly, I think I see the problem: "blah, blah, blah" appears to be how you interpret any reasoned, logical, and informed statements that might redound to you feeling the need to admit that you are wrong or have given (yet again) bad advice.

At some point, you're going to have to come to the conclusion that I know what I'm talking about. And that you, well, don't.

As I've said before, all the bad advice you give wouldn't be so bad if you weren't so incapable of accepting correction. Is "oh, my mistake" so very difficult to say?

--H
    Last edited by Hurin; Dec 15 2017 at 09:48 AM.

Just for fun, let's go looking for "Directx 11 download for Windows 10" from "3rd parties". . .

Good ol' "softonic" (that's sarcasm). . .

Okay, so, dodging all the ads that purport to actually be the download button we want. . . avoiding the fake ones that will likely install crapware/malware/adware/PUPs.

. . . we click the actual download button and get. . .

Noting that we will be "redirected" and clicking the proper button again (in blue) and avoiding the bad again (in red). . .

We end up at. . .

The very Microsoft web page I linked to (and screenshotted) before! Priceless.

Incidentally, following a few other google results (Tom's Guides, etc.), the same thing happens. Redirected to Microsoft's page(s).

Now, is there, somewhere out there, some website, or torrent, or guy in a trenchcoat offering "DirectX 10 (or 11) for Windows 10". . . perhaps. But I wouldn't touch such a thing with someone else's 10-foot pole.

If someone wants to post such a thing and vouch for it, knock yourself out. But consider the source.

--H

Are you deliberately being awkward??

Download it, extract the files and read the freaking descriptions; this contains dx9, dx10 and dx11 files.

So yes, I was wrong, I thought it only contained dx10, but you are wrong, because it isnt just dx9; and dx10 / dx11 can be downloaded outside of winupdate.

HAPPY??

(You know, I already had this archive on my back up drive, but had completely forgotten about it; these meds have turned my brain into Swiss cheese)

Are you deliberately being awkward??

Download it, extract the files and read the freaking descriptions; this contains dx9, dx10 and dx11 files.

So yes, I was wrong, I thought it only contained dx10, but you are wrong, because it isnt just dx9; and dx10 / dx11 can be downloaded outside of winupdate.

HAPPY??

(You know, I already had this archive on my back up drive, but had completely forgotten about it; these meds have turned my brain into Swiss cheese)
    If you're still referring to "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)". . .

• It was released "June 2010"
    • It is (re?)signed "April 18, 2011"
    • The "web installer" version of it, linked from its page,explicitly states it's only DirectX 9. Perhaps it's in error.
    • DirectX 11 was released February 2011.

Nevertheless, I do see what could give the impression that dx10 and dx11 are included in a package (at least initially) released eight months prior to dx11's release. There are files such as "d3dx10" and "d3cx11" included. Perhaps, they cracked the package open, dropped in the DX11 files, re-signed it, and never bothered to rename it or update its documentation.

Note, however, that even if those are what you presume them to be, they would have to be DX11.0 and not DX11.1 or DX11.2 files because those were released in 2012 and 2013, respectively.

Assuming you are correct, what do you think will happen when you install that package on Windows 10 which has newer revisions of those files already installed?

My guess is not much. It will likely just install the missing DX9 runtimes.

--H

P.S. Many (you and me included) have been recommending the installation of that file when the dxwebsetup.exe doesn't appear to do the job. . . it hasn't apparently been doing much good in cases like the OP's.

P.P.S. Let's not forget that you were once talking about "warnings" and "forcing" MSUs to install. So let's not pretend that you knew about those "d3dx10/11" files being in that potentially mismarked package all along. Apparently, we're both noticing new things here.
    Last edited by Hurin; Dec 15 2017 at 02:29 PM.

If the files are damaged or missing, they will (hopefully) replace them, if they arent, it wont install them.

Just as a test, I ran it on my system, and it installed some files; mostly dx9, but at least dozen dx10 and dx11.

Now that my memory has been jogged, I ran this package the last time I installed Win7, so it is interesting to see how many files have become damaged or deleted over the last few years, especially as I ran the dx9c package less than a year ago, when something damaged the dx9 files and stopped LOTRO from running.

Well, that appears to have been one big false alarm and/or wild goose chase.

Experimenting in some VMs and looking more closely. . .

The DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) Redistributable does not install DirectX 10, 11, nor 12 on Windows 10.

And those files in the CAB files are not d3d10 or d3d11 files but d3dx10 and d3dx11 files. DirectX Extension files. Indeed. Their properties still list their "Product" and "File" version as 9.xxxx. Whereas DX10 and DX11 files list their versions appropriately as 10.x and 11.x, respectively.

Finally, I tested on a Win10 VM to see exactly what happens when the Redistributable is installed.

DirectX is located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

I then deleted all d3d10 and d3d11 files. Had to do it in recovery mode. Windows is a bit protective.

I then booted back into Windows (it still works!) and then ran the "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) Redistributable". . . and while it did drop all those vestigial d3dx and compilers in there. It did not install the d3d10.dll (or related) or d3d11.dll (or related).

So. . .

The DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) Redistributable does not install or (reinstall) DirectX 10, 11, nor 12 on Windows 10.

The End

--H

This is a bit of grasping at straws. . . but in addition to the straws grasped at in my post immediately prior. . . try installing (newest) nvidia driver 388.59 if you haven't already. Then. . . go into nvidia control panel and set your screen resolution to your monitor's non-native resolution. Try LotRO. Then reboot. Go into nvidia control panel and set resolution to native resolution. Reboot. Try LotRO.

Believe it or not, there is method to this madness based on some googling. But, again, I am indeed flailing a bit.

--H
    Had the same problem for about a month. Installed drivers, restored default graphics, deleted user files, etc, etc, etc. Even downloaded old DirectX files. Nothing worked (to be fair, none of it broke anything, either). Played in windowed mode for month, then saw this post.

This fixed it for me. Thanks!

Pax

Quote Originally Posted by Elfhunter43 View Post
    Had the same problem for about a month. Installed drivers, restored default graphics, deleted user files, etc, etc, etc. Even downloaded old DirectX files. Nothing worked (to be fair, none of it broke anything, either). Played in windowed mode for month, then saw this post.

This fixed it for me. Thanks!

Pax
    Awesome. Thanks for this post.

As for those in the thread above who suffer from crashing while alt-tabbing, there's a (likely) fix here.

This is a bit of grasping at straws. . . but in addition to the straws grasped at in my post immediately prior. . . try installing (newest) nvidia driver 388.59 if you haven't already. Then. . . go into nvidia control panel and set your screen resolution to your monitor's non-native resolution. Try LotRO. Then reboot. Go into nvidia control panel and set resolution to native resolution. Reboot. Try LotRO.

Believe it or not, there is method to this madness based on some googling. But, again, I am indeed flailing a bit.

--H
    Thank you very, very, very much Hurin. This solution solved the problem for my notebook too. Greetings from Germany.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2