We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Problem with Fullscreen mode and graphic resolution

After today's update, I cannot play the game in fullscreen mode. First time I opened it today it was set to windowed mode and if I switch to fullscreen it just move to the top-left corner with the same size.

Also, the only active resolution mode is 1024x768

Any ideas?
    Elf Hunter (130), Hobbit Warden (75), Dwarf Rune-Keeper (90) in Evernight

Just happened to me as well, I went to the launcher on the tab repair I clicked the box to repair display settings.
    Then once I launched the game I went to graphics and chose the screen mode (full screen windowed).
    At the moment is working for me so it may help you too.

Good luck!

Thanks Alya,

I did the same and got the fullscreen back for 5 seconds, and then a crash to desktop with a DirectX error. This must has been produced by the last Windows 10 update.

I will try to install an older version of DirectX

Try to update your DirectX with the dxwebinstaller and check if the lotro client.exe in your root installation folder has some compatibility options activated, if so uncheck them. Also try to reinstall your gfx card driver. This should hopefully fix your problem

Hi Thormud,

I did all that you suggested but the problem persists. Actually, I can play the game in low res, but as soon as I try to raise the resolution, the game crashes with a DirectX error.

Any other sugestion?

Thanks.

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Try using the offline installer for DirectX 9 from here.

Hi WBS,

This was one of the first things I did after I saw the DirectX error. Still nothing.

By the way, the issue is not only with Lotro, but apparently with any game that uses Direct3D.

I tried to roll back to a previous windows 10 version with no success.

I continue investigating...

nvidia, amd, intel graphics?

In Win10 control panel --> gaming: turn off "Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar" as well as every other feature (look on the left side for more categories).

Quote Originally Posted by Kapakio View Post
    Hi WBS,

This was one of the first things I did after I saw the DirectX error. Still nothing.

By the way, the issue is not only with Lotro, but apparently with any game that uses Direct3D.

I tried to roll back to a previous windows 10 version with no success.

I continue investigating...
    When you play, are you using dx9, 10, or 11?? It might be worth re installing the other two as well. I dont have a link though; there is one on the forums somewhere, but you know what the in-forum search engine is like.

I had an issue with the most recent AMD driver update, but it put my card into a crash loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    When you play, are you using dx9, 10, or 11?? It might be worth re installing the other two as well. I dont have a link though; there is one on the forums somewhere, but you know what the in-forum search engine is like.
    I look forward to seeing instructions for downloading and installing DX10 or DX11 in Windows 10 (from an official or reputable source).

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    I look forward to seeing instructions for downloading and installing DX10 or DX11 in Windows 10 (from an official or reputable source).
    Links to the official M$ repositories were given in a thread late last year - or early this year; obviously I havent ever had to do so, but I cannot see how they can be any different to installing dx9 in win10. If I remember the discussion in the thread, Win10 gives several warnings about them when you try and install, but goes through with the install eventually.

Of course I bow to your superior knowledge.

Links to the official M$ repositories were given in a thread late last year - or early this year;
    To my knowledge, no such things exist (for Windows 10).

If I remember the discussion in the thread, Win10 gives several warnings about them when you try and install, but goes through with the install eventually.
    Since there are no DX10, DX11, or DX12 installers anywhere. . . if this did indeed happen and such a thread exists, it sounds like they were forcing installs intended for other operating systems.

When you check here. . .

. . . there are no stand-alone DirectX installers listed (nor are there any available at https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com). Rather, there are full "platform updates" or "Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS Library" specific to those old operating systems updates which also include the specified version of DirectX (DX11.1 for Win7, DX11 for Vista, no upgrades for 8, 8.1, or 10). I trust you aren't (albeit rather vaguely) recommending that KB/msu packages for older operating systems should be somehow forced to install on Windows 10. Yikes.

--H

To my knowledge, no such things exist (for Windows 10).

Since there are no DX10, DX11, or DX12 installers anywhere. . . if this did indeed happen and such a thread exists, it sounds like they were forcing installs intended for other operating systems.

When you check here. . .

. . . there are no stand-alone DirectX installers listed (nor are there any available at https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com). Rather, there are full "platform updates" or "Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS Library" specific to those old operating systems updates which also include the specified version of DirectX (DX11.1 for Win7, DX11 for Vista, no upgrades for 8, 8.1, or 10). I trust you aren't (albeit rather vaguely) recommending that KB/msu packages for older operating systems should be somehow forced to install on Windows 10. Yikes.

--H
    Perhaps you are having a slow brain day, of COURSE there are no installers for Win10, dx9 installer isnt for win10; M$ insist that dx12 is fully compatible with dx9,10&11, except we all know it isnt if the game programmers were lazy.

M$ update site wont return usable results for dx9, 10 or 11, you have to use Google to find them ON THE M$ UPDATE SITE; this isnt just a Win10 thing, it refuses to give anything but dx12 results on Win7 as well.

DirectX & Windows Versions: DirectX 12, 11, 10, & 9

DirectX 12 is included with Windows 10 and is only supported in that version of Windows. Updates to DirectX 12 related files are only available via Windows Update.

Note: No standalone version of DirectX 12 is available. It's unclear at this point if DirectX 12 will also be made available for previous versions of Windows, like Windows 8, 7, or Vista.
    DirectX 11.4 & 11.3 are only supported in Windows 10. Like with DirectX 12.0, updates are only provided via Windows Update.
    DirectX 11.2 is supported in Windows 10 and Windows 8 (8.1+) only. Any updates to DirectX 11.2 related files are made available in Windows Update in those versions of Windows. There is no standalone download available for DirectX 11.2.
    DirectX 11.1 is supported in Windows 10 and Windows 8. Windows 7 (SP1) is supported as well but only after installing the Platform Update for Windows 7.
    DirectX 11.0 is supported in Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Support for Windows Vista is available but only after a platform update. Get the 32-bit version here or the 64-bit one here.
    DirectX 10 is supported in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista.

DirectX 9 is supported in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP. If you have a program that calls for a DirectX 9 file in Windows 10 or Windows 8, installing the downloadable version (the process above) is the way to solve that problem - it will not "downgrade" your DirectX 10/11/12 install! This is also the latest version of DirectX that's compatible with Windows XP.
    Actually, that last bit is wrong; there was a hack that allowed you to run dx10 on WinXP, now it wasnt perfect - some people reported crashes; but I ran it for years with no issues.

Original with links to the M$ downloads here https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-down...irectx-2624489

Perhaps you are having a slow brain day, of COURSE there are no installers for Win10, dx9 installer isnt for win10
    Ummmmm. . . my slow brain just sees these. . .

When you play, are you using dx9, 10, or 11?? It might be worth re installing the other two as well.
    Links to the official M$ repositories were given in a thread late last year
    But, like you said, I must be missing something. . .

you have to use Google to find them ON THE M$ UPDATE SITE
    Please, demonstrate! I want to know how to "google" the "MS UPDATE SITE." Stand-alone DirectX installers for DX10/11/12 installers that aren't weighed down with other operating system "platform updates" (etc.) (and thus could be installed on Windows 10 without mangling things) could be very useful in certain situations!

I hope you'll show us how it's done.

--H

Woops, missed this. . .

Original with links to the M$ downloads here https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-down...irectx-2624489
    Those are the same links that I posted in the Microsoft article (and even included a screenshot). So, I have to ask again, are you suggesting that people (somehow) force those MSU packages to install on Windows 10? Even though they are aren't DirectX installers alone but actually "platform updates" (win7) and/or "Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS Library" (Vista) intended for prior operating systems?

--H
    Last edited by Hurin; Dec 14 2017 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks Hurin and Yarbro for your interesting discussions, but I would like to come back to solving the issue

nvidia, amd, intel graphics?

In Win10 control panel --> gaming: turn off "Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar" as well as every other feature (look on the left side for more categories).
    I have NVIDIA GEFORCE 750 something (I'm not in my PC now)

I deactivated all game bar features. Same results

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro

I had an issue with the most recent AMD driver update, but it put my card into a crash loop.
    I installed the DirectX redistributable, which is supposed to install all DirectX files from versions 9, 10 and 11. Same results

In game, the only valid option is DirectX 9. If I try to change to newer version, it always rolls back to 9.

I'm continuing the investigation. I've found similar situations, apparently linked with the Windows 10 Creators update.

For now, I'm able to play on low resolution and Fullscreen-windowed mode. Not ideal, but at least I can play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapakio View Post
    I have NVIDIA GEFORCE 750 something (I'm not in my PC now)

I deactivated all game bar features. Same results
    Well, I'm out of ideas. My next suggestion (more of a test than a potential fix) would be to delete your userpreferences.ini file in your Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online directory.

But since you state that other games are affected, I'm not sure there'd be much of a point to doing so.

I installed the DirectX redistributable, which is supposed to install all DirectX files from versions 9, 10 and 11.
    My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that the DirectX redistributable (from here) only covers DirectX 9 runtimes. Note that at the bottom, under "additional information," it says: "If you would like the websetup version of the runtime package, please click here" which points to the "web installer" which states explicitly that it "provides updates to 9.0c and previous versions of DirectX."

I've found similar situations, apparently linked with the Windows 10 Creators update.
    Indeed, though there must be some other factor as well. Since many (including me) have updated to the latest Creator's Update, have nvidia video cards, and have not come across this problem.

In sheer desperation, and trying to just cover everything (that won't do harm), I'd also (re)install these:

'Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable' (note: not x64 version) from here.
    'Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable' (note: not x64 version) from here.

Good luck!

--H

This is a bit of grasping at straws. . . but in addition to the straws grasped at in my post immediately prior. . . try installing (newest) nvidia driver 388.59 if you haven't already. Then. . . go into nvidia control panel and set your screen resolution to your monitor's non-native resolution. Try LotRO. Then reboot. Go into nvidia control panel and set resolution to native resolution. Reboot. Try LotRO.

Believe it or not, there is method to this madness based on some googling. But, again, I am indeed flailing a bit.

--H

Woops, missed this. . .

Those are the same links that I posted in the Microsoft article (and even included a screenshot). So, I have to ask again, are you suggesting that people (somehow) force those MSU packages to install on Windows 10? Even though they are aren't DirectX installers alone but actually "platform updates" (win7) and/or "Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS Library" (win8) intended for prior operating systems?

--H
    Yes.

Yes.
    Both of these reactions. . .

Also, quick clarification. . .

Even though they are aren't DirectX installers alone but actually "platform updates" (win7) and/or "Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS Library" (win8) intended for prior operating systems?
    Woops, the "(Win8)" above should have been "Vista". . . now corrected in the original.

Suffice it to say, forcing (somehow) installation of MSU packages (ie., Operating System patch/upgrade packages, not portable runtime installers like dxwebsetup.exe) meant for Vista and Windows 7 is not a good idea.

--H

Now this is weird....

I did nothing new since my last post. I open the game just to play in my windowed/low-res mode, and after finished today lotro update: surprise!!! The game opens in fullscreen hi-res mode!!!

Somehow there were something in the update that fix (partially) the problem. Now the game crashes only when I Alt-Tab to desktop

Both of these reactions. . .

Also, quick clarification. . .

Woops, the "(Win8)" above should have been "Vista". . . now corrected in the original.

Suffice it to say, forcing (somehow) installation of MSU packages (ie., Operating System patch/upgrade packages, not portable runtime installers like dxwebsetup.exe) meant for Vista and Windows 7 is not a good idea.

--H
    I am sure you make daily backups, so give it a try and let us know how it goes.

I am sure you make daily backups, so give it a try and let us know how it goes.
    That's what virtual machines are for. . . but, to be honest, after the first "this package is not supported on this operating system" (paraphrased), and some googling about what the manually extracted files would look like (nothing useful), I thought to myself: "Why would I spend any additional time on something so ill-advised?"

It's sorta perplexing that you won't trust MS to patch a live, modern operating system month-to-month, but will boldly declare that people should download and install an eight year-old patch/update package for an Operating System three major versions back (more if you count Win8.1 and Win10 major builds separately). . . and seem to think it should work out fine because the dxwebsetup.exe isn't "intended" for Win10, but yet it still works. So why shouldn't operating system msu files work on other operating systems?

But honestly, I think you're just recommending such bizarre things because you didn't actually know that there are no DX10/11 installers available when you casually suggested that a Windows 10 user reinstall them. And rather than admit that you were wrong and that no such installers exist, you've engaged in a page or so of shenanigans instead.

I think I know what comes next. . .

--H

As I said, I DONT know if they will work, however I HAVE run such installers for ancient file versions that I needed for ancient childrens game; to get DOS/Win95/98 games to work on XP; and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt. if the OS wont let you run it, fine, but if it DOES let you run it, there is a good chance it will install the dx files and wont kill your system.

My distrust in M$ started with Win8, when the spyware started, and it hasnt gotten any better with how they pushed Win10.

As I said, I DONT know if they will work
    Ummm, you said they would work. . . see quote below. . .

If I remember the discussion in the thread, Win10 gives several warnings about them when you try and install, but goes through with the install eventually.
    Which is, of course, wrong. Both in that it doesn't "install eventually" and there aren't mere "warnings" but a full stop "nope". . . because it ain't a runtime installer. . . it's an operating system patch/upgrade package that is being asked to install on the wrong operating system.

however I HAVE run such installers for ancient file versions that I needed for ancient childrens game; to get DOS/Win95/98 games to work on XP; and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt. if the OS wont let you run it, fine, but if it DOES let you run it, there is a good chance it will install the dx files and wont kill your system.
    *sigh*. . . but you don't seem to realize the difference between an installer for runtimes, and an operating system update package. as you demonstrate when you say something as naive as:

but I cannot see how they can be any different to installing dx9 in win10.
    . . . one is an installer of runtimes. It is designed to work on multiple operating systems. Or perhaps, more precisely, it is designed to just do its things and be agnostic about the operating system because its payload can't do any real harm. The other is an operating system upgrade/patch package designed especially for a particular operating system at a particular point in time of its service life. That you can so blithely and naively equate the two and say that if one works, the other should too. . . it's just mind-boggling.

So, do you now "see how they can be different to installing dx9 in win10?" They aren't in the form of DirectX runtime installers as was the dx9 one. They are operating system msu update/upgrade/patch packages intended for particular operating systems. Thus, I seriously doubt someone on these forums got them to install after a "few warnings" and that no harm was done.

--H
    Last edited by Hurin; Dec 14 2017 at 07:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast