We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Avatars appreciation thread

My elf is just so beautiful now, I really like the new look

I know some people are unhappy with the changes but I think the new avatars looks stunning

Amorey - Bard of the Shire

I like my new avatars. I'm not so sure about the toggle switch because I made some changes to my toons and they look odd now with the old avatar setting on. Personally I think SSG should have just decided on one look and stuck with it rather than giving us a switch. There would be complaining for sure but people would get used to the new looks. You can change all of the initial settings at a barber now so the new skins can be made to look very nice. I especially like that the textures appear to be higher res now.

I also like the new avatars, both my man and elf look far better and less cartoon like than before. If somebody is super attached to the old avatar and want their character to look *exactly* like that then fine, but in no way does the image on the left, above, look better than the one on the right. The new one is smoother, has better proportions, and the texture for the hair looks much better. There are still some parts that may be buggy/unfinished with certain settings, but that's known to them. I saw some positive feedback in game too, so there's plenty of us who like them.

In the case of the female elves, I agree. In my opinion, the old female elf avatars were the worst in the game. I like the new ones and agree Amorey that your character looks far better now.

However, I do think human females still need some work. The feedback that people have given on bullroarer should cover it.

Hmm, that poster in the other thread was right, they do look more like humans with pointy ears now.

Look, do you now why they asked Hugo Weaving to play Elrond in the LOTR movies? Because, and I'm being absolutely serious, "He doesn't look human." They saw him in The Matrix, and one thing led to another. Anyway, that may be what some people really liked about their elves, that they didn't look human.

More realistic elves may be as desired by some people as I wanted a "more realistic horse" and ended up with the warcow nonsense that steers like a boat.
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back because it wasn't BoA. He kept the pony.

Females they got right, males.... the hell! I was lucky to find one avatar that I was pleased with. I still feel that the hair more than before has no depth. I'm not really pleased. I was furious at first, however, since I spent an hour playing around with my characters, I'm a little more calm now. I just wish they gave us options to change gender now.

By and large I like the changes. They look less cartoony, although I think there is less variation in the faces now.

However, on the Men characters, there is a glaring issue for those wearing light or medium hats or helmets: Something underneath the hat/hair is clipping through the back of the head. Unfortuna

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Lion...545_1.jpg.html

[edit]My apologies for using Photobucket; it's the only picture host I had set up in the past. I haven't been in it forever--it's awful now. I can take the link down if it is too painful to open.

Did some screenshots for myself. I'm quite pleased with how my characters look now, especially my elf.

Incredibly pleased also with my lady , she does look stunning

*tin foil hat on*

A little off topic but I just noticed something ....on the lore master tunic you can see the letters DX and XXI on each shoulder

DXXXI is 531 in roman numerals ...a little Easter egg maybe ? Just a coincidence ?

*tin foil hat off*

Back on topic

I love the new avatars. Sure there can be some polishing still (eyebrows don't change the colour together with hair and hair itself could use look less blocky for example) but they are fairly realistic now. Especially my male elves, now they look the tough elves I always wanted them to be and without the perennial awkward grin
    My Lotro blog :)

Totally agreed, Amorey - love the changes. Far more realistic in my view, plus I feel more hairstyles are usable now. In the past some just seemed too ugly, now they all look quite nice. Very very pleased after all these years, did not think this would come to happen, thus a big thank you to the company.

How come the ladies get to keep the beautiful type of eyes they had, but the guys had to have their eyes completely changed? The reason according to some was that the old eyes weren't realistic, but actually MANY kinds of eyes would be realistic since people look different.

Personally my eyes look a lot closer to the eyes of the old male elves and the ladies in the pictures above, the same with most of my male friends. A few old men I know have eyes like the updated elf eyes though. Therefore both styles of eyes are realistic, and it's just a matter of taste when it comes to which one we prefer.

I miss having beautiful elf eyes in game. I don't mind them looking different, but why do they have to look so old and not filled with joy? Maybe men can't be happy?
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    How come the ladies get to keep the beautiful type of eyes they had, but the guys had to have their eyes completely changed? The reason according to some was that the old eyes weren't realistic, but actually MANY kinds of eyes would be realistic since people look different.
    I think it has more to do with guys feeling that their male elves looked feminine.. which is completely ridiculous but it was an old complaint.

I don't really like how angular the face of my elf lady is now myself, and there's no way to fix it by changing head. I hope they get some more polish.

I didn't mind the change. On my characters it seemed to just adjust the eye area and cheek shading. I think it's a slightly less cartoon look.

Then I took my Warden to the Barber and now he looks like Freddie Mercury
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    Then I took my Warden to the Barber and now he looks like Freddie Mercury

You should post a screen, that sounds awesome

Not fussed about the new avatars

Annoyed that SSG messed up the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post

I'm not sure, but I suspect a technical problem was base for it.
    As I understand, we have a wireframe for the model and a texture which is applied to the wireframe as a skin.
    Lots of guessing:
    - I guess that they only change the texture for old and new avatar selection (the technical problem)
    - At some point it was decided to change the wireframe, to make the new ones look better.
    - This in turn had consequences for the old textures and they needed to adjust those to make them fit again.

my avatar looks like its got down's syndrome after the update

Sekira Trinitrotoluene
    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| PENETRATING THE CREEPS SINCE 2007 |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by mladjacool View Post
    my avatar looks like its got down's syndrome after the update
    I wish I was that lucky

<3 Down Syndrome people

Back to the avatars....I do not play male avatars but I wanted to check for myself how the new model differ from the old ones. New human male models looks ok, the eyebrows positioning is much more natural than before, eyes are more expressive and aging lines give the face a more realistic feel. There is some visible clipping on the back on the head that needs fixing, long hair does cover it but it is visible with short or no hair.

Elves males models are an improvement from the old ones , overall though they are probably not as good as the female avatars. I would have liked to see some new hair colors, maybe a pure white and a better blonde for elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorey View Post
    *tin foil hat on*

A little off topic but I just noticed something ....on the lore master tunic you can see the letters DX and XXI on each shoulder

DXXXI is 531 in roman numerals ...a little Easter egg maybe ? Just a coincidence ?

*tin foil hat off*

Back on topic
    It's IXX and XXI. You can take off your tinfoil helmet now.

Talking

I love the female avatars, I love that the look more alive now and less like a plastic doll.
    The hair options are lovely too, they did an amazing job re-texturing them and the extra features and eye options for humans are great now, making eyebags look contoured instead of like you have weird gash scars under your character's eyes.

my only nitpick would be that for the super close cropped female elf hair it used to be cropped at the bottom of the skull and now it goes down the neck, I much preferred the former.

But males on the other hand I've got a big problem with the available variety in face shapes. the bone structure is SO heavy, all of them look like their heads are too big. I'd have liked at least one or two options with finer features ESPECIALLY on the male elves. People have been complaining about elves looking human now, but for me that has always been true of this game's male elves, and now they've made it worse. I almost can't take them seriously, they look a bit like bobbleheads

Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post

Yep, this right here. I mean, come on. It's a toggle.

I'm pretty happy with the changes so far. I did need to tweak some of my avatars, but they all look far better now than they did before and are still very recognizable for who they are. There are some remaining issues that SSG needs to fix so until this whole process is complete I'll just bug things that I feel are out of whack and refrain from having knee-jerk reactions.

The fact that SSG went to the considerable effort to implement a toggle to display the old looks was unexpected. I appreciate that, but after comparing new vs old I'll happily stick with the new looks.

Not my pics, but reposting them side by side shows one of the biggest problems with new Elf avatars:

Exact same human bags-under-eyes. Line by line, nearly identical copy from Human face. This is plain unacceptable for Elves. And it's frankly embarrassing that the same Human template was used to add it in.

Comparison between new Human/new Elf also shows the glaring discrepancy in face color: Human looking more alive and healthy, Elf looking monochrome and kinda sickly. This effect persists across all new Elf avatar options and skin color spectrum, plain loss of vibrant color textures that were for some weird reason removed after previous beta round. Having Elves looking this worn-out and corpselike poses not only an aesthetic problem but goes against the grain of Tolkien's descriptions of them in LotR: they are meant to be timeless, ethereal beings possessing both vitality and grace. Currently, new avatars possess neither of these.
    Éalá Éarendel engla beorhtast,
    ofer middangeard monnum sended,
    ond sóð
    fæsta sunnan léoma,
    torht ofer tung
    las, þú tída gehwane,
    of sylfum þé symle inlíhtes!

-
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast