We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Bomb Dropped

Is WB still connected to this new studio/company in any way?

Or, are you totally separated from Warner Brothers?
    Landroval Server

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    No, this isn't quite right. We're a newly-formed studio consisting of the LOTRO and DDO dev teams (along with folks like myself who span both games). The assets came with us, and we develop the game for you.
    Cordovan! I can has question?

As of right now, if I buy store points, who's getting the money, you guys or Turbine?
    :: Rosewillow Noakes - Bilbo Baggins Fangirl - Landroval ::
    :: Rosequartz Tunnelly - Aspiring Talespinner - Landroval ::

Rhino-Man is offline The Wise
    The Completionist
    Stable Master
    Champ, Chank, Chump
    The Alt-aphobic
    The Deep Delver
    No, this isn't quite right. We're a newly-formed studio consisting of the LOTRO and DDO dev teams (along with folks like myself who span both games). The assets came with us, and we develop the game for you.
    Well, unfortunately the announcement does not read that way, in a very literal sense. You may want to update the first part to say that the TEAM and the GAMES moved. The first time I read it - again very literally - I read that the TEAM moved on, and I was expecting the second part of the letter to say that therefore all development on LOTRO will cease immediately until a replacement team can be hired.

Please see below how it is misleading as it's written:

"Greetings,

Today we have some momentous news! The game teams responsible for The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) and Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) are now moving from Turbine to Standing Stone Games, a newly formed indie game studio. In addition, we’ve partnered with Daybreak Games to provide global publishing services. They’ve had a long, successful history developing and publishing MMOs, and we’re happy to lean on their expertise.

With the announcement out of the way, I wanted to talk to you about what all this means."
    Radian- Champion- Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Rhuvor View Post
    Is WB still connected to this new studio/company in any way?

Or, are you totally separated from Warner Brothers?
    No. Yes, we are totally separate.

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneGirl View Post
    Cordovan! I can has question?

As of right now, if I buy store points, who's getting the money, you guys or Turbine?
    Us.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by SerbanSpire View Post
    My question is: Why would the dev team decide to form their own company in the first place? It may have something to do with AT&T in the process of buying Warner Bros as a whole, or Turbine focusing on mobile games now, but I don't know what to say about this. I'm scared, I want to go to mommy .
    It has nothing to do with those things. WB probably wanted to close the games. Some people bought them out. My emotional side says it can't get worse, my reasonable side says we'll know more when we know more.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Us.
    Thanks for answering!
    :: Rosewillow Noakes - Bilbo Baggins Fangirl - Landroval ::
    :: Rosequartz Tunnelly - Aspiring Talespinner - Landroval ::

Us.
    Knowing that WB is out of the picture makes me absurdly happy.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Us.
    So then WB has no say now in LOTRO? I am just trying to get this BIG bombshell correct.

Then you (SSG) negotiate the license directly with ME Enterprises? Or with Warner Brothers? Not sure who is the licenser for LOtR MMOS right now...

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

Thanks for the clarification, Cordovan. I look forward to new and exciting updates!

So can you mention if Warner Bros. is still involved in any way.

Also, will this new studio be more open and upfront than you guys were under Turbine's umbrella?

I wish you guys the best of luck and hope this leads to some promising things in the future.

Us.

Here is the age old question that has to be asked now again, after those revelations: has the licence been renewed and for how long?
    You will grind your hamsterwheel and you will be happy.
    From f2p to p2w: nothing here is accidental
    https://www.gdcvault.com/play/102469...g-Monetization

Worse comes to worse?

After 20 years of playing MMOs I can definitely say that no change of ownership ever brought something good. From price gauging for convenience items and departure of seasonal events over games turning into pay-to-win and unhealthy server-merging up to complete abandoning of the game (after a big sale of course), I've seen it all.

On the other hand for 30 years now my motto has been: "When in doubt, go with Billy Joel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlFmE4enqaI

Bottom line: Worse comes to worse I'll get along

Quote Originally Posted by Happybudgy View Post
    Here is the age old question that has to be asked now again, after those revelations: has the licence been renewed and for how long?
    See here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Transition-FAQ. You will find this asked and answered thus: What does this mean for licensing of the Dungeons & Dragons and Lord of the Rings IPs?

We’ve updated our licensing agreements without issue and will continue that relationship.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Alexa View Post
    After 20 years of playing MMOs I can definitely say that no change of ownership ever brought something good. From price gauging for convenience items and departure of seasonal events over games turning into pay-to-win and unhealthy server-merging up to complete abandoning of the game (after a big sale of course), I've seen it all.

On the other hand for 30 years now my motto has been: "When in doubt, go with Billy Joel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlFmE4enqaI

Bottom line: Worse comes to worse I'll get along
    I think it depends. If it's the entire DDO/LOtro team, including exec producers, then I think they have a good inside view of revenue and costs and made a business plan based on that. Of course you may be correct, in that they surveyed other MMOs and decided that horses were too cheap, and solvents shouldn't drop in game at all so might as well up the price, etc.

Ultimately they're a business and need revenue to cover expenses; we've heard the story how Lotro cash funded the development of different games, so maybe there's still enough there to focus on the 2 games and still make everyone happy. Time will tell.

I see this as mainly good news.

Btw, when I was working as a contractor, we had a span in five years where three different companies owned us. The only thing that changed was the logo, not the paycheck. Not the hours. Not the work projects. Not the customers. Not the employees. Nothing changed.
    True character is not something shaped from without, or put on, but it is something radiating from within

Question Questiton

Just a question about legal background.

Has there anything changed?

Licence is owned by WB and therefor could have been inherited by Turbine as it is owned by Warner.
    What about changes on that and future agreements and contracts regarding this?
    Is Standingstone still related to Warner in any way?

And how about future developments. Does Tolkien Society still have any influence on the content for a consistent and acceptable world?

Maybe any of the responsible authorities could make some clarity concerning this.

Please confirm that license is renewed

All I can say is when I first came to this game it was just a forum as there was no game at that point and as I recall it was S.O.E that had the first innings at being Devs here, then it went to Vivendi and then Turbine and now back to S.O.E again. I shall reserve judgement for now and watch performance first as S.O.E and vivendi both had huge aspirations for this game but their ideas were just too big at that time to manage in a profitable way so my final word at this stage is Congrats guys and you have my best wishes for a great game future.

Quote Originally Posted by Erastholin View Post
    Just a question about legal background.

Has there anything changed?

Licence is owned by WB and therefor could have been inherited by Turbine as it is owned by Warner.
    What about changes on that and future agreements and contracts regarding this?
    No, the license is not and never was owned by WB. The actual owners of the rights are Middle-Earth Enterprises, part of The Saul Zaentz Company.
    They in turn license various other companies to produce stuff.
    WB are the current license-holders for movie rights and some video game rights, but the MMO rights have always been held by Turbine - even though they are owned by WB.

Judging from the FAQ this new studio, Standing Stone Games, have taken over the licence agreements (for both LOTRO and DDO) from Turbine.

To be clear, John Smedley doesnt have anything to do with LoTRO does he?
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Cordovan, do you perhaps know if Asheron's Call is affected by this? Will it stay with Turbine, and will it keep running?
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneGirl View Post
    As long as they don't slap "Turbine Store" logos on literally every game window, like Trion did with Rift, then I don't really mind if it stays F2P.
    I'm far more concerned with the Store model affecting the in-game availability of rewards/items than I am with how many Store buttons there are in the UI.

The latter is cosmetic. The former speaks to the integrity of the game as being something other than a means of frustrating players into parting with money.

It's the difference between creating a game with the primary focus on entertaining a customer through fun and compelling gameplay. . . and creating a game that is entertaining only insomuch as it keeps the customer around so that they can continue to be frustrated and annoyed into spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderv View Post
    Please confirm that license is renewed
    From the FAQ:
    What does this mean for licensing of the Dungeons & Dragons and Lord of the Rings IPs?

We’ve updated our licensing agreements without issue and will continue that relationship.

They would have been stupid to break off from Turbine into a new company currently based around just LOTRO and DDO without making sure they had the licenses needed to continue publishing those games.

There is always hope ...

Seems more good than bad news to me.
    First, if - as Cordovan confirmed - the new company is in direct control of the game development and game earnings, this is rarely a bad thing.
    Second, Cordovan has been doing an excellent job so far and has been rather forthcoming with information. I take this as a higher level of motivation of the entire team, which must have known that this is coming sometime before.

If you guys can keep that motivation up (and maybe even improve on it), that would be fabulous.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast