We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Apparently my problem was F-Secure as well. After reading this thread, I poked around in F-Secure's settings some more and found how to except websites from being denied (HTTP 403 error). From the main page of F-Secure program, click 'Online Settings' link at the bottom of the screen, then the 'Settings' button. Click 'View Website Exceptions' link at the bottom of this screen. Add 'turbine.com', 'akamai.com' and 'lotro.com' to the Allowed list. I restarted the lotro launcher and it crashed with a 201 error saying it could not open data files. I deleted LOTRO and reinstalled it, and then it updated successfully without errors. What was so frustrating was that A) neither lotro or F-Secure gives any sort of warning that it doesn't like the websites, B) Shutting F-Secure completely off did NOT prevent it from blocking access to these sites. And C) the navigation to the setting is awkward because it requires clicking on links on pages instead of just being settings in the tabbed parts of the program. Thanks to everyone who helped piece this together! Now, where did I put my sword?
    Last edited by Ishaera; Jan 09 2017 at 09:47 AM.

i have another solution that worked for me....non of the other ones here did and if you have the F-Secure/Security suite from charter security here's what i did. i tried all the above solutions and non seem to do the trick....so open your security suite and go to the bottom and click online security. step 2 on the 2nd window that pops up click settings, an admin prompt might pop up just click yes. step 3 on the browsing protection tab in the top right hand corner there is an on off switch....turn it off and keep the window popped open. then run your launcher to finish the install and it should finish the final patching. the http 403 forbidden shouldnt give you an error anymore. lemme know if it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Kradin View Post
    i have another solution that worked for me....non of the other ones here did and if you have the F-Secure/Security suite from charter security here's what i did. i tried all the above solutions and non seem to do the trick....so open your security suite and go to the bottom and click online security. step 2 on the 2nd window that pops up click settings, an admin prompt might pop up just click yes. step 3 on the browsing protection tab in the top right hand corner there is an on off switch....turn it off and keep the window popped open. then run your launcher to finish the install and it should finish the final patching. the http 403 forbidden shouldnt give you an error anymore. lemme know if it helps
    Problem is you will have to either keep this security feature off all the time, or do what I suggested and add the three websites to F-Secure's excluded sites list. Then you won't have to mess around with turning security off and on again each time LOTRO wants to update files (which it wants to do frequently), or leaving it off and risking trouble from dangerous websites. Far better to exclude the websites in question and not have to deal with it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Forodir View Post
    In my laptop (Win10) it was this file (replace your username): C:\Users\UserNameHere\AppData\ Local\Turbine\TTEPatchClient.l og

(Editor seems to add some weird spaces to filename above, remove those or navigate to correct folder manually.)

Exactly the same combo I have. I also tried to disable those with no success. The method I mentioned above did the trick finally.
    Sweet, this worked for me too. was file client-highres.dat-37673 that caused issues for me. once allowed by F-secure the patch continued.

Thumbs up

403 forbidden fix
    After waiting for over 8 days to get a response from Turbine support for an external ticket I issued and not receiving any response whatsoever....
    I started searching the forums for a solution.

If the above posts do not work for you (as they did not for me) I finally found one that does.

My (and if yours is) internet provider is Wide Open West... They use F secure as a sub process to there internet security system. Since it is a sub process there is no way to gain access to its security settings and WOW doesn't have an easy way to configure a non https site which in my case was the offender...
    "http://moria.gls.lotro.com/GLS.DataCenterServer/Service.asmx" notice its not HTTPS which F Secure would let through.

So I went to the services section of my computer settings and found the 2 F Secure services that were running and stopped them... I re-launched the LOTROL client and all the updates came down without a problem.
    After the update and the client launches remember to re-start the 2 F secure services to protect your computer.

Also if this happens in the future with new updates from LOTROL the process may need to be repeated until Turbine gets their #### together and fixes the offending web sites address.

Vulture

Quote Originally Posted by Vultture View Post
    403 forbidden fix
    After waiting for over 8 days to get a response from Turbine support for an external ticket I issued and not receiving any response whatsoever....

. . .

Also if this happens in the future with new updates from LOTROL the process may need to be repeated until Turbine gets their #### together and fixes the offending web sites address.

Vulture
    I'm going to take a stand on this: It's not Turbine's fault . . . it's F-Secure's bad practices. I run a number of content aware firewalls for multiple clients and this is EXACTLY what happens when content filters are not correct. This may be a result of poor administration, poor definition files from the AV vender, or poor implementation on the part of the IT support team. Either way the problem in this case is with F-Secure.

If you really need this type of protection at your home, consider a better AV/Firewall product than the one you are currently using.
    Ogmios ~ Davidge ~ Eriuwen ~ Kainoa ~ Braidfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Ishaera View Post
    Apparently my problem was F-Secure as well. After reading this thread, I poked around in F-Secure's settings some more and found how to except websites from being denied (HTTP 403 error). From the main page of F-Secure program, click 'Online Settings' link at the bottom of the screen, then the 'Settings' button. Click 'View Website Exceptions' link at the bottom of this screen. Add 'turbine.com', 'akamai.com' and 'lotro.com' to the Allowed list. I restarted the lotro launcher and it crashed with a 201 error saying it could not open data files. I deleted LOTRO and reinstalled it, and then it updated successfully without errors. What was so frustrating was that A) neither lotro or F-Secure gives any sort of warning that it doesn't like the websites, B) Shutting F-Secure completely off did NOT prevent it from blocking access to these sites. And C) the navigation to the setting is awkward because it requires clicking on links on pages instead of just being settings in the tabbed parts of the program. Thanks to everyone who helped piece this together! Now, where did I put my sword?
    had same problem, also F-Secure installed, turning all security features off didnt help, but disabling the browsing protection or later adding the mentioned exceptions solved it.
    But strangely the list of blocked sites in the statistics reads "0" ...
    will contact F-Secure support with this. would be nice if they at least showed some kind of pop-up "blocked acces to ...akamai..." so you know where to start troubleshooting.
    Thank you

Same issue here, same workaround.

Added the download URLs to F-Secure's whitelist. However, I'm surprised that in 2017, all updates are served over http, without TLS. That means that an attacker could serve malicious software pretending to be akamai or turbine. This is probably the reason it got flagged as malicious by F-Secure... If enough people get malware that way, it makes sense that they consider it dangerous.

Still, it would have been nice to get a warning or at the very least a screen with the overview of the latest blocked URLs.

Although everyone in this thread is reporting FSecure as the issue; I was having repeated "lost server connection" issues last year, and they were all being caused by ZoneAlarm, it would regularly decide - mid-game - that LOTRO was a new process, and block it.

Swapped out for a different FireWall, and I havent had more than a few server drops since - and they have all happened since U20 came out (so are SSG's fault).

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Although everyone in this thread is reporting FSecure as the issue; I was having repeated "lost server connection" issues last year, and they were all being caused by ZoneAlarm, it would regularly decide - mid-game - that LOTRO was a new process, and block it.

Swapped out for a different FireWall, and I havent had more than a few server drops since - and they have all happened since U20 came out (so are SSG's fault).
    Sorry for crashing your answer, but the forums wouldn't let me reply to the whole thread. Anyway, I couldn't find a lot of the places that posters were sending me to, but they helped me realize it was my F-Secure. I went into "Task Manager" on my computer, temporarily stopped "fshoster" and it worked. Thanks for all the advice.
    Officer and elder member of the Claws of Abigail kin.

F-secure again

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb682 View Post
    Sorry for crashing your answer, but the forums wouldn't let me reply to the whole thread. Anyway, I couldn't find a lot of the places that posters were sending me to, but they helped me realize it was my F-Secure. I went into "Task Manager" on my computer, temporarily stopped "fshoster" and it worked. Thanks for all the advice.
    Hope this works. First time ever posted. I had the same 403 forbidden problem, but know zip about computers so was at a loss. However here in the UK my ISP is Talk Talk, and by looking in Control Panel I discovered that their 'SuperSafe' anti viral program is F-secure under another name. Since I have Norton I simply uninstalled SuperSafe and lotro continued to load and play quite happily. Hope this helps anyone with similar problems and levels of ignorance!

Quote Originally Posted by Forodir View Post
    Success!!!

It turned out to be a harmful website blocking mechanism in my internet security package.

i went through the installation log and noticed that the last entry was a file download from Akamai server using http-protocol and that had failed. I tried to open that same http-link in my browser and got a notification of harmful website with a confirmation if I wanted to continue. After approving the website the installer continued normally after starting it again. With my earlier debugging I had disabled the firewall but obviously the harmful website protection was still active for some reason and confirmation message didn't come through to user. I have no clue why protection kicked in in the midddle of the update. Maybe it switched to a server which was blacklisted or maybe installer changed the way it was accessing remote files?

Nevertheless, I got it installed now. Hopefully this gives some hint to other people with 403 problem.
    Thank you for the troubleshooting-steps! Very useful.
    I found that (indeed) the problem was caused by F-Secure. Instead of whitelisting the domains, I simply temporarily unchecked the box in the firewall tab that said: "Do not allow applications to download harmful files" and waited for it to finish downloading.
    Works like a charm!
    I was about to reinstall my OS, to see if I could solve the issue, so, yay.

Thumbs up Http 403 forbidden

Quote Originally Posted by Kradin View Post

Bless You!! I have been playing this game since 2008 and just recently this has been an issue for me. I tried the other options up to this point and was completely unsuccessful getting any of the files to patch. Even tried a new reinstall. I was beginning to think I would not be able to play LOTRO during any part of the anniversary event, which I was really annoyed about. My yearly VIP is coming due on the 29th. I am so happy that this worked for me, as I was going to turn off my VIP and stop playing altogether. Thank you very much, I am so glad that you put in the information too that you were also using Charter, otherwise I may have not looked into this any further. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Giltarean View Post
    I had the same problem, but with older windows(?) my log file was dll file and I can't read it. I have Elisa Tietoturva (F-secure from service provider) and finally I unchecked the box for "Estä epäilyttävät sivustot"/"Prevent suspicious web pages", (in "Family Security" settings) restarted my computer, and now the download and installation of latest patches is proceeding as it should. Strange enough, it seems that in the standard settings only "suspicious" pages are blocked, not "forbidden" pages!
    I cannot thank you enough for adding this! I had the exact same problem, using Windows 10, and haven't been able to update for months because of this error. I never thought to check the Perheturva settings from my Elisa Tietoturva. That fixed it for me. Thank you so much!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2