We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 15 of 125 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by random7 View Post
    I never played much before, maybe to level 10. Created a new char this week, and have logged in 4 times. Each time I am sent back to the very beginning quest. Am I to assume that quest progression is not saved unless you have a subscription maybe? My first toon I ever played never had this issue. Not sure this will be any fun if I have to keep the game open and logged in 24/7.
    Quest progression is not lost.
    You appear to be stuck in the tutorial.
    Depending on your character type, you have around three to five minutes to play through it (if really taking your time).

Once you get into the intro proper, you will not lose progression.

Quote Originally Posted by random7 View Post
    I never played much before, maybe to level 10. Created a new char this week, and have logged in 4 times. Each time I am sent back to the very beginning quest. Am I to assume that quest progression is not saved unless you have a subscription maybe? My first toon I ever played never had this issue. Not sure this will be any fun if I have to keep the game open and logged in 24/7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    Quest progression is not lost.
    You appear to be stuck in the tutorial.
    Depending on your character type, you have around three to five minutes to play through it (if really taking your time).

Once you get into the intro proper, you will not lose progression.

It is probably as above, but if it persists.........

There is a (fairly rare) random bug in Windows* that occasionally marks a folder or individual file as "Read Only"; check to see if the LOTRO folder, or any of the sub-folders or files have been so marked using right-click/properties.

*Definitely affects Win7 and Win10, so probably also happens in Win8/8.1. never had it happen in WinXP/32 or Win7/32, so probably a bug introduced with the 64 bit coding.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    It is probably as above, but if it persists.........

There is a (fairly rare) random bug in Windows* that occasionally marks a folder or individual file as "Read Only"; check to see if the LOTRO folder, or any of the sub-folders or files have been so marked using right-click/properties.

*Definitely affects Win7 and Win10, so probably also happens in Win8/8.1. never had it happen in WinXP/32 or Win7/32, so probably a bug introduced with the 64 bit coding.
    If you are referring to this. . .

. . . I think you'll find that every directory you're likely to examine, by default, has "read only" checked. It's standard Windows behavior rather than a "fairly rare" bug.

Since the NTFS era, that checkbox has been largely superfluous. My understanding is that NTFS-era Windows mostly bypasses it since a user or a program with sufficient NTFS permissions via NTFS ACLs can/will transparently disable that attribute, make the requested changes, and then re-set it. Or I guess you could just say that NTFS ACLs effectively supersede that archaic checkbox.

Or, put another way: Unless you've mucked around manually with file attributes, just about every folder you look at (including the LotRO ones) throughout your system will have "Read Only" checked, yet they are not treated as read-only (as understood by the casual user) by the system.

--H

P.S. Character state/progression is stored entirely sever-side. So I'm not sure why client-side file permissions are coming up.
    Last edited by Hurin; Sep 11 2017 at 05:10 PM.

As I said, THERE IS A BUG, that makes the files really locked, and usually (assuming you have admin rights), unticking the box is enough; however some files REALLY lock down, (file properties get bugged??) and even admin mode isnt enough. there are tools that can unlock these files, but many AV programs detect them as malware or PUPS and wont let them run.

Unticking the box on folder properties will usually unlock any file inside that folder that have become locked. This HAS happened to other LOTRO players, the game was unable to write to the folder and it screwed up character settings.

As for these files being server side - most of it is, but some data IS stored locally, and it is always easier to eliminate that as an issue before putting in a bug report and waiting a week to get a response; issues occurring at log in/log out DO cause issues with character settings; and the server doesnt always correct them on next log in. I have had lost connections in mid battle, and the situation on re-acquiring the sever can get very confused; I have had a quest auto-complete even though my character had died because I could no longer control it, and one quest locked me out, because the system seemed to believe I had both finished AND not finished it, as the server dropped the connection as I completed it.*

It gave me the reward, but wouldnt let me progress; I had to delete it, then run it again and ended up with duplicate reward armour before I could progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    As I said, THERE IS A BUG, that makes the files really locked, and usually (assuming you have admin rights), unticking the box is enough; however some files REALLY lock down, (file properties get bugged??) and even admin mode isnt enough. there are tools that can unlock these files, but many AV programs detect them as malware or PUPS and wont let them run.

Unticking the box on folder properties will usually unlock any file inside that folder that have become locked. This HAS happened to other LOTRO players, the game was unable to write to the folder and it screwed up character settings.
    Odd, because you had him merely looking to see if it was checked. Yet, as I've demonstrated, he should expect to find the box checked for all folders. Mine are checked. Yours are checked. Everyone's are checked. Absent my reply and this clarification, anyone reading your post would assume that the box should not be checked.

As for these files being server side - most of it is, but some data IS stored locally,
    Nope. Sorry. There is literally no data relating to character state or progression stored within the client. Nada. Zip. Zero. That's just not how these games work.

and it is always easier to eliminate that as an issue before putting in a bug report and waiting a week to get a response; issues occurring at log in/log out DO cause issues with character settings; and the server doesnt always correct them on next log in. I have had lost connections in mid battle, and the situation on re-acquiring the sever can get very confused; I have had a quest auto-complete even though my character had died because I could no longer control it, and one quest locked me out, because the system seemed to believe I had both finished AND not finished it, as the server dropped the connection as I completed it.*

It gave me the reward, but wouldnt let me progress; I had to delete it, then run it again and ended up with duplicate reward armour before I could progress.
    Can't even begin to understand the relevance of the story above to anything currently under discussion.

But I can be certain that it's normal for everyone to have their LoTRO folders marked "read only" and that this has zero to do with the issue being described.

I certainly appreciate any effort to run down all possibilities (within reason) before filing a ticket or hassling support. In fact, I make that my business. But, shoe-horning the "read only" attribute box into the discussion is hard to fathom. And it is worthwhile to point out to those following along that their folders should have this box checked. Whereas your post would have them believe that they should not.

--H

bought game via steam. Started game. Won't let me log on because I don't have a subscription. Go to manage my account. Won't let me buy a subscription from outside of the game. So how do I get the game started?
    Made it work with my steam user name.
    Why do I already have an account on here with my real name? I don't recall ever playing this game.
    Last edited by al_horney; Sep 11 2017 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by al_###### View Post
    bought game via steam. Started game. Won't let me log on because I don't have a subscription. Go to manage my account. Won't let me buy a subscription from outside of the game. So how do I get the game started?
    Made it work with my steam user name.
    Why do I already have an account on here with my real name? I don't recall ever playing this game.
    You may have registered for the game at some point - if you're like me and browse many betas or try all games with a specific publisher. Personally I'd played some DDO and registered for LOTRO as well.
    There should be a Sign Up button here: https://www.lotro.com/en
    I see you already have a forum account though so you should be good to go using that for the game.

Aria of the Valar Help

So this is my situation. I played pre-moria and never had a character above level 40. Im buying the new expansion and want help choosing a class to boost. I like being the star dps of a team, but also be able to solo. I want a class that makes me feel like a badass. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolPoetryGuy69 View Post
    So this is my situation. I played pre-moria and never had a character above level 40. Im buying the new expansion and want help choosing a class to boost. I like being the star dps of a team, but also be able to solo. I want a class that makes me feel like a badass. Thanks
    Super EZ mode - Hunter / Mostly EZ Mode - Champ / EZ mode - Warden
    Borgorid of Arkenstone
    r11 - Champ , r8 - Mini,

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit1710 View Post
    Super EZ mode - Hunter / Mostly EZ Mode - Champ / EZ mode - Warden
    Until they nerf the Hunter again; I fought my way up to L90 with my weak, underpowered Hunter, set him aside for a while and now he is running around in a red cape and wearing his pants on the outside!!

Still having issues playing LOTRO!

This is actually starting to drive me crazy, I've followed many guides on how to fix the issue with being unable to play Lotro because it's missing files and none of the guides seem to work. If you haven't read my last reply to this thread I was talking about how whenever I login to my character I get sent to the loading screen and my game just crashes. I know Hurin posted a guide on the files you need to install and I've probably uninstalled and reinstalled Lotro about 20 times already and also installed the "missing files" but that doesn't seem to help. Is there any way to fix this issue with being unable to play Lotro?!?!?!? I also contacted customer support a little over a week ago and have yet to get a response.... Please just someone help me with this issue, Thanks!

Hey. I'm quite new here. I have only played for a few weeks. I wanted to post in the Monster Play section of the forums for some Creep advice but it's not letting me. Maybe it's because I haven't received my posting permissions yet? If so, could I please get them so that I could ask more experienced players for some Monster Play advice?

Thank you!

Not quite sure how it works right now, but you may find that you can add a post to an existing thread; so if you can find one on a similar topic, add a useful remark or question to it; after a while you will get cleared by the mods to create your own threads.

Sadly, the creeps part of the site has a lot of "children", so be prepared for the deluge of bad behaviour (I blame the Red Bull).

Rping

Hello everyone! I'm a returning player. Played this a while ago. looking to get back into and back into the RPing scene. is it still active here? Does anyone wanna meet up and mess around? I love creating stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Arlo_Revee View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm a returning player. Played this a while ago. looking to get back into and back into the RPing scene. is it still active here? Does anyone wanna meet up and mess around? I love creating stories!
    The RP is pretty much all on the Landroval (NA) and Laurelin (EU) servers. If your old characters were on either, you can just log in and check things out. Also check the forums for those servers for (regularly) scheduled events.

If your old characters are on one of the closed servers you can transfer them for free.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Cha...ransfer_Wizard

Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

I am new to this game. What should I do?
    LOL
    Sorry but I'm confused. Should I start paying for a sub right away?
    I'm a long time WoW player but I'm done with that game. I love Lord of the Rings, so I'm going to jump right in.
    Is there anything I should purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Khadorian View Post
    I am new to this game. What should I do?
    LOL
    Sorry but I'm confused. Should I start paying for a sub right away?
    I'm a long time WoW player but I'm done with that game. I love Lord of the Rings, so I'm going to jump right in.
    Is there anything I should purchase?
    No, getting a sub right at the start is a waste; wait until you are about L20, and then think about getting a 1 month sub to see how you go. Most of what you need in the starter area doesnt need a sub, so you would just be wasting it.

Hello! First, thanks for having this thread.

My question is about the Guardian The Fighter of Shadow tree.

I have read about a bug existing as recently as July where the trait Mark of Permanence will cause the 10% chance to gain 5% Morale to no longer trigger. Is this still the case or at least confirmed? This will influence whether I possibly re-trait or reroll.

Also, in theory, if I spread Take to Heart to many enemies via Radiate, will Flash of Light trigger my 10% chance to heal when it damages others? (In theory, without the previous bug.)

Thanks for your time and help!

This is manifestly stupid. Played long-ago and thinking about returning, Having technical issues when logging into the game under Linux but not Windows. Now, I come to the forums and discover that I can't start a new thread! It took me 15 minutes of searching on Google to find this thread.

Good job. Stop spammers. Drive away money.

(random swearing).

Quote Originally Posted by Sphenforthewin View Post

I have read about a bug existing as recently as July where the trait Mark of Permanence will cause the 10% chance to gain 5% Morale to no longer trigger. Is this still the case or at least confirmed? This will influence whether I possibly re-trait or reroll.

Also, in theory, if I spread Take to Heart to many enemies via Radiate, will Flash of Light trigger my 10% chance to heal when it damages others? (In theory, without the previous bug.)

Since you've gotten no response yet, I posted a link to this in the Guardian class forum asking if someone with expertise has answers for you.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Still bugged. The heals don't trigger.
    It's really sad that this take one tree completely from the endcontent but for leveling until level 50 yellow has more survivalbily as red, after level 50 you've enough points to spend in the next tree and can go to primary red for leveling. Personally I play the whole time in blue, telly low dps but for this nearly undieable

Quote Originally Posted by Amburger View Post
    This is manifestly stupid. Played long-ago and thinking about returning, Having technical issues when logging into the game under Linux but not Windows. Now, I come to the forums and discover that I can't start a new thread! It took me 15 minutes of searching on Google to find this thread.

Good job. Stop spammers. Drive away money.

(random swearing).
    Sadly, even with the post restriction, the forums often get flooded with spam on Saturday nights/Sunday mornings.

As for not knowing, a sticky giving the info is the VERY first item on the new players sub-forum; however I do agree that the forum search is useless; I gave up trying to use it, and use Google to search the forums!!

Players who were active when the new restriction started were not affected, but I suspect more than a few old accounts were compromised in the hack a few years ago, so older, inactive accounts were all marked as "suspect" and are treated as new players, just in case a spammer has gained access to them.

There does seem to be a minor flood of hijacked accounts right now, unless it is one guy using multiple alts to troll; and you may have seen the warning on the Launcher at the moment - the two may be linked.

Not sure what the current limit it, but a few good posts over a day or three should see you given full access.

We suffer from various nerfs (esp. to radiate) and bugged skills. Previous attempts to "fix" the guardian failed and some got rolled back. For now they have given up any fixes and we'll have a revamp some time in the future. I suppose those of us who still play see playing a guard as a challenge in of itself and overcoming the problems it has is part of the enjoyment. I couldn't just play a guard though, I have alts that provide me other play styles that aren't so broken.

Most of us use redline's prey on the weak for those heals but I'm not sure if you would have access to that yet. If sticking with Fighter of shadow Bring on the Pain still works well.

How Do I Find People to Quest With?

I am a brand new player and pretty much a noob when it comes to MMO play. I played some guild wars with a few friends but only for a few months so I'm pretty green when it comes to the MMO universe. In GW, players seemed like they were everywhere and throwing together a dozen people to go do a dungeon wasn't that difficult-- there was usuallly a line of people outside waiting for people to go in with. In LOTRO I have not had that same experience. I would like to quest in the Southern Barrows and fulfill some quests in the Great Barrow, but I have been unable to successfully find anyone who will do this quest with me. I understand the basics of the fellowship system (as far as the tutorial scripts explained it) but there are generally only like five or six players that I see when I look in the social panel. Am I missing something? Furthermore, what is the acceptable method for asking randoms to team up with you? Any help would be greatly appriciated! I just bought a month of access to this game so I am hoping that this is just me and not a recurring problem that I am going to face throughout the game.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by CoctimusPrime View Post
    I am a brand new player and pretty much a noob when it comes to MMO play. I played some guild wars with a few friends but only for a few months so I'm pretty green when it comes to the MMO universe. In GW, players seemed like they were everywhere and throwing together a dozen people to go do a dungeon wasn't that difficult-- there was usuallly a line of people outside waiting for people to go in with. In LOTRO I have not had that same experience. I would like to quest in the Southern Barrows and fulfill some quests in the Great Barrow, but I have been unable to successfully find anyone who will do this quest with me. I understand the basics of the fellowship system (as far as the tutorial scripts explained it) but there are generally only like five or six players that I see when I look in the social panel. Am I missing something? Furthermore, what is the acceptable method for asking randoms to team up with you? Any help would be greatly appriciated! I just bought a month of access to this game so I am hoping that this is just me and not a recurring problem that I am going to face throughout the game.

Thanks again!
    Back in the heydays, finding 12 people for a low level raid would have been easy, but those days were a long time ago; if you want to experience these raids now, your best bet is to look at the Kinships; some of them specialise in running low level raids, and helping new players progress through the game.

You didnt really need the subscription this early on, everything in Bree is free to play (F2P); it isnt until you move out into other areas where either a quest pack or sub starts to become useful; even then it isnt mandatory; I ran my first character up to around L90 as F2P.

Other than that, you are using the panel correctly, and posting a fellowship request is as you think.

You havent said which server you are on, so it might be you are possibly using the wrong one for your needs; if you are EU and using a US server (or the other way around), you will be playing outside of the peak gaming time for most other players; this means fewer people to team up with, but at higher levels it means less lag and stuttering from server load, sop swings and roundabouts.

Page 15 of 125 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast