We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: LotRO Layoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dmira View Post
    The "Edit Signature" isn't available. I had a signature graphic. I'm wondering if that's that problem.
    Could be that yes, especially if the sig was a gif of some sort or too large.

I am sorry you did not get your signature back, I would tell you to send a message for support but I don't know if there are anyone there anymore
    Amorey - Bard of the Shire

I wouldn't make a final judgement on this announcement until we know the full details. I'll admit, it doesn't look great. Has anyone other than Frelorn been confirmed to have lost their job? Losing a CM is hardly a death knell for the game. Especially one who actually does very little community management. Blue names rarely post on these forums, they can't control the spam, and the Twitter posts are almost exclusively autopost "What are you doing in LOTRO this weekend" types. That's hardly the performance one would expect from an employee with 10 years experience in the industry. Speaking as a consumer, I'm hardly surprised the position was downsized. Speaking as a person, I hope the employees quickly find new jobs that they are passionate about and dedicated towards. If this post comes off as callous to some, then so be it. I don't post very often, and when I do it is rarely a direct response to someone. I'm usually here seeking out helpful information. Many of the threads I have started were direct questions that could've quickly and easily been answered by a blue name, yet I never once received any kind of response or interaction. Even the one time I sent an IM. Despite multiple opportunities, the blue names never took the time to know me or care about me as a consumer, so I don't see why I should suddenly care about them as employees. I'm a very genrous and caring individual towards those who I know and love. I'm always looking to expand the circle of people that I know and care about, but you can't force people to care about you in return. If that's a poor attitude in life, so be it. It has served me extremely well thus far. Fire away if you must.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabani View Post
    I guess you don't know what Krono or WoW token is. It's 30-day game time that one can sell for in-game gold. It's a realy win item for every side.
    You were right, I didn't know. I just answered to the sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Arabani View Post
    An item that is bought for real money and can be sold for in-game gold.
    Solvents (and also GotV/BotV) are used for exactly this purpose.

Selling VIP for gold is another topic, although I doubt this would work with the F2P/store system of LOTRO. After all our system is quite different from WoW or Everquest.
    I would not have anything against it, but I doubt it will create more revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorey View Post
    Could be that yes, especially if the sig was a gif of some sort or too large.
    It's a jpg, but I expect graphics are still turned off. Oh, well. No big loss.

I am sorry you did not get your signature back, I would tell you to send a message for support but I don't know if there are anyone there anymore
    I have a bad feeling support has just gone down the tubes. I just hope whomever's left can help with the lag problem before the game goes into maintenance mode. I say "help" because I honestly don't think it will ever be fixed now.

Quote Originally Posted by FyreBrand View Post
    Hopefully WB won't pull an NCSoft - CoH and nuke the game early and will let it coast in maintenance mode for a few more years.
    Unlike games where the intellectual property is owned by by the same company that produces the game, making a "maintenance mode" possible, this is not one of those games. The Lord of the Rings IP is not owned by Turbine or its parent companies, which means they continue to have to pay for it. There will be no maintenance mode with this game. Whenever they decide to no longer pay for the IP, that is the day the servers will be shut, and your characters will be gone forever.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Curuer_Bauglir View Post
    I wouldn't make a final judgement on this announcement until we know the full details. I'll admit, it doesn't look great. Has anyone other than Frelorn been confirmed to have lost their job?
    So far no specific individuals have been confirmed to have lost their jobs. The latest message on Frelorn's twitter strongly suggests he is leaving though.
    Pretty much the only thing confirmed is that there have been layoffs at Turbine, but not how many, and that Turbine will transition towards mobile games, but at least for now LOTRO and DDO will keep running as usual.
    Beyond that everything is just speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Unlike games where the intellectual property is owned by by the same company that produces the game, making a "maintenance mode" possible, this is not one of those games. The Lord of the Rings IP is not owned by Turbine or its parent companies, which means they continue to have to pay for it. There will be no maintenance mode with this game. Whenever they decide to no longer pay for the IP, that is the day the servers will be shut, and your characters will be gone forever.
    That depends on the exact terms of the license agreement, of which neither of us know anything. It is very possible you are correct, but it is not a certainity.

...Mobile games. /mourn

I'm sorry.

Check in your profile settings to see if you have 'Edit Signature' back.
    Hey, my signature just reappeared along with the profile option. Woo-hoo!
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is my personal opinion.

Turbine has had numerous rounds of layoffs in the past, and despite the doom and gloom then, the game lived on. Of course, at some stage it does have to end, but until we know more I think it's too early to panic.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 140 - Brandywine | Help sick kids. Support Extra Life 2022: https://www.extra-life.org/participant/belnavar [$824.53 raised of $1,000 goal]

Quote Originally Posted by Dmira View Post
    Hey, my signature just reappeared along with the profile option. Woo-hoo!
    Aww good good

I'm sorry to hear about the layoffs. This team has tried very hard to give us things that were asked for for years and I seriously doubt they are sitting on their arses collecting their paychecks and not caring, as some have implied. I suspect, like many of us in other fields, that there have been more and more responsibilities added to their jobs with each layoff. We are a country with many unemployed or underemployed and a "lucky" few doing the jobs of 2 or 3 people.

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    ... at least for now LOTRO and DDO will keep running as usual.
    Beyond that everything is just speculation.
    "as usual" is not correct. Turbine:"The Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons online games will continue to operate as they do now"

It can well be frozen at maintenance mode at level of what currently exists ("as they do now"). No new content, no bug fixes. VIP payments accepted. Up until the date of expiration of the licence.
    Or, can be anything else. But hardly as usual.

---------------------
    From what I understood Warner sees no perspective with Lotro in particular. My only hope that franchise (or rather the whole project) will be sold to third party. I cant believe that such a huge game world will just die, especially with this unique and incomparable lore.

We appreciate everyone's concerns for the team's well-being, and know that folks have seen and read your thoughts. We aren't able to comment specifically on personnel matters, especially when they come from business decision-making like this, but we would reiterate the part from yesterday's official statement that Lord of the Rings Online will continue to operate as it does now. Additionally, we'd like you to know that our development plans remain unchanged.

You'll notice that I'm posting this rather than Frelorn. Some of you may remember me from a few years ago when I did community work for LOTRO under Sapience, and filled in during the gap before Frelorn took over. I will be doing forum and community work for at least a while here, in addition to the work I do for Dungeons & Dragons Online. I'll chat more soon, and be available to answer whatever questions I can. In the meantime, if you are a streamer, fansite operator, podcaster, whatever, you can reach me through the forums here in addition to our typical LOTRO contact methods (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Find LOTRO on: Facebook Twitter Twitch Google+
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Google+ Instagram
    My PM inbox is broken. Click here to send me a private message.
    cool cool

Welcome Back Cordovan

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We appreciate everyone's concerns for the team's well-being, and know that folks have seen and read your thoughts. We aren't able to comment specifically on personnel matters, especially when they come from business decision-making like this, but we would reiterate the part from yesterday's official statement that Lord of the Rings Online will continue to operate as it does now. Additionally, we'd like you to know that our development plans remain unchanged.

You'll notice that I'm posting this rather than Frelorn. Some of you may remember me from a few years ago when I did community work for LOTRO under Sapience, and filled in during the gap before Frelorn took over. I will be doing forum and community work for at least a while here, in addition to the work I do for Dungeons & Dragons Online. I'll chat more soon, and be available to answer whatever questions I can. In the meantime, if you are a streamer, fansite operator, podcaster, whatever, you can reach me through the forums here in addition to our typical LOTRO contact methods (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
    \

Thanks, Cordovan!

Would you be able to tell us who else in the Lotro team is gone? Or at least how many from the team?

And, with less staff (assuming Lotro programmers were among the casualties) how can development plans not realistically be altered?
    I7-6700k, Gigabyte Gaming 5 motherboard, MSI GamingX GTX 1070, Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500 GB), 3200 DD4 16 GB Ram, 1920x1200 28 inch monitor, Win 10

I wish you the best of luck

Thanks for the response. Can only imagine how the mood is currently at work :/

Please pass my wishes onto the team thats left

Quote Originally Posted by daneyul View Post
    And, with less staff (assuming Lotro programmers were among the casualties) how can development plans not realistically be altered?
    I'd love to know this as well but it may be customer service thay may have the most casualties rather than developers.

Benordis LvL 105 Champion - Beniso LvL 105 Minstrel - Benisia LvL 105 Burglar - Bengrit LvL 105 Rune-keeper - Beney LvL 105 Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by daneyul View Post
    \

Thanks, Cordovan!

Would you be able to tell us who else in the Lotro team is gone? Or at least how many from the team?

No, sorry. I know folks are curious about this kind of thing, but we don't provide visibility into team size and such. All we can really say is that our development plans remain unchanged; the goals are there, even if the path to get there has shifted.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Find LOTRO on: Facebook Twitter Twitch Google+
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Google+ Instagram
    My PM inbox is broken. Click here to send me a private message.
    cool cool

No, sorry. I know folks are curious about this kind of thing, but we don't provide visibility into team size and such. All we can really say is that our development plans remain unchanged; the goals are there, even if the path to get there has shifted.
    Does this include all the plans for 2017 and the following years? (Going into Mordor, Scouring of the Shire, etc)

I hope MoL is still with us... he has learned a lot about development during his years on LOTRO and is one of few devs that talked openly to the players on a regular basis (probably one of the big reasons why he did everything so well)... it would ease my feelings to know that he's still working on LOTRO

Quote Originally Posted by Beastnas View Post
    Frelorn via Twitter: "Time for a new adventure!"

Sounds like he's out.

Oh my god. What a class act and honest wholesome community presence as CM. Devastating to see him go.

Thanks for the official word and welcome back!
    Please ignore my ridiculous running animation.

Quote Originally Posted by DiogoVP View Post
    Does this include all the plans for 2017 and the following years? (Going into Mordor, Scouring of the Shire, etc)

I hope MoL is still with us... he has learned a lot about development during his years on LOTRO and is one of few devs that talked openly to the players on a regular basis (probably one of the big reasons why he did everything so well)... it would ease my feelings to know that he's still working on LOTRO
    EPs and CMs come and go, but MoL is eternal.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Quote Originally Posted by DiogoVP View Post
    If MoL is gone, im canceling my suscription right now.

BTW, good luck in your new adventures Frelorn and wb Cordovan.

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

I'm thinking that the #1 thing people are worried about is whether the IP license will be renewed in 2017. I know Vyvyanne and Frelorn had said "we'll see when we get there and how it pans out", but since 2017 is only 6 months away, I think it would be fair to ask (and get answered) whether the game will continue beyond 2017.

Other than that, I know we can't ask anything about internal personnel matters.... but I would like to know if Vyvyanne is still our Executive Producer.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast