We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Character cloned?

I transferred a character, Seolferwulf, from Evernight to Laurelin. I was surprised to see a -1 added to my name as it's fairly unusual. So I did a check by adding to Friends list. This is what I see:

Seolferwulf, Hobbit, Warden, Level 41, located in Rivendell
    Seolferwulf-1, Hobbit, Warden, Level 41, located in Rivendell.

I ticketed this but got a stock reply.

I cannot believe the coincidence above and feel that somehow I have been cloned. Needless to say I can only access the -1 character.
    Jobbing musician that resides in Bree. Frequenter of Taverns and places of ill repute

Hi Keli,

Check the last login of the other Seolferwulf?

If recent, send them an in-game mail and share a laugh about the name/race/class/level coincidence. If they respond, then you've just proven they are not a clone.

I do think this is pure coincidence. Someone was bound to transfer to a server where a character of identical name/race/class/level already existed. There will probably be more such coincidences where name plus 2 of the 3 other aspects coincide.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Actually I am more concerned at the GM response. It is theoretically possible that this is a technical problem with the transfer system which is why I raise it. It should be possible to do a check of the barter wallets for example to see if it's the same character or not.
    Jobbing musician that resides in Bree. Frequenter of Taverns and places of ill repute

Quote Originally Posted by Keli View Post
    ... I cannot believe the coincidence above and feel that somehow I have been cloned. Needless to say I can only access the -1 character.
    Me neither. Clearly you are the victim of some strange and unfortunate conspiracy. = |

Did you try restarting the game, and relogging? Also, in case you somehow managed to transfer your character twice, do you have a free character slot or no?
    Keep calm, and snuggle.

same problem

The same thing happened when I transferred my warden from Imladris to Landy last year. I got a -1 added to my name and when I added my name to my friendlist it showed a character at the same level, race, etc as the one I had just transferred. Also had the same last login as the time of my transfer being completed (same last location too), plus hasn't logged in since (about a year later now). Using the rename token doesnt work since it still recognizes that my old name is still in use.
    Underachieving - R8 Burg - Elendilmir
    Warta - R5 Warden // Dolvidhal - R9 Spider // Creeperr - R7 Warg // Uncreative - R5 Reaver - Imladris
    Retired until Turbine starts making quality raids again

It happened to me in Bullroarer, you should be able to rename your character to its original name.

I've seen this happen to one other person quite a while ago. He/she transferred a character to Landroval but was "cloned" due to an error. He/she contacted Turbine who looked into it and tried to fix it but it turned out that there was nothing they could do I think you should call them and explain.

This really needs to be looked into. Lots of people will transfer now and this isn't the first time and therefore not the last time this will happen. It's one thing to lose your name to an active character, but to lose it to an error-created clone is very upsetting

I hope they can manually delete or rename the ghost-character so you can get your name back. Can't be impossible to check that it belongs to your account and isn't someone else's character Good luck!
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

I transferred a character, Seolferwulf, from Evernight to Laurelin. I was surprised to see a -1 added to my name as it's fairly unusual. So I did a check by adding to Friends list. This is what I see:

Seolferwulf, Hobbit, Warden, Level 41, located in Rivendell
    Seolferwulf-1, Hobbit, Warden, Level 41, located in Rivendell.

I ticketed this but got a stock reply.

I cannot believe the coincidence above and feel that somehow I have been cloned. Needless to say I can only access the -1 character.
    I had a different problem which seems to be related to yours.

While testing the transfer system I copied a character from Laurelin to Gwaihir without and issues. Then I tried to transfer it back and when I would select the character and proceed to the confirmation screen I would see 2 characters N selected. Two of them, with identical names. I still confirmed it and got an email:

Your World Transfer is complete! Below is the information for your transfer on 8/20/2015 5:10:18 AM:

FROM WORLD: Gwaihir
    TO WORLD: Laurelin

Other details:
    Character 0x02150000002E0254 did not transfer.
    Character 0x02150000002E0254 did not transfer.
    When I logged back to Laurelin I found my character safe and with proper name. But it did look in the process that for some time the system thought I had two identical characters to transfer.

Do you keep the email from your transfer? Did it mention any problems?
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtara - Beorning | Ishtari - Rune Keeper | Ishtarel - Hunter
    Lunasa - Minstrel | Cabernetta - Guardian | Ishtaridas - Lore Master | + many more
    Eldar -> Evernight

The transfer was successful according to the confirmation email.

I have written to the other character but I doubt I will get a reply

This cloning issue after transferring Worlds has happened in the past and never fixed. I can't believe on Aug.19 they enabled game wide transfers and still haven't fixed this very same issue. The testing they did was obviously greatly inadequate. Years ago when this occurred there was no fix since the character profile had to be purged and both were lost original & clone. It was reported this did occur more with people using Multi-Box and logged in to unrelated server at the same time the Transfer was done with two sessions running. The idea is to delete the clone from your destination World, so you may have to create a new character with that name and then delete it thus removing the clone, see below.
    NOTE: there is a 2 week wait before you can transfer back to your original World. (Turbine should remove this long wait period)

However with a FREE Transfers and rename token you could try the following (use at your own risk) when the Transfer option is reactivated sometime in Sept...
    - transfer character from World with clone (B) to different world (C) but NOT your original world (A).
    - do not login into (C) but close game client and wait 10 mins.
    - login to (B) and see if you can access clone or non-clone character it should be gone, if clone is listed logoff without doing anything.
    - login to (C) and verify the non-clone name works (hopefully no other person is using same name already but doesn't matter) and has all inventory then logout.
    - login to (B) again and this time DELETE the clone character then logout and close/reopen client.
    - login to (C) and TRANSFER back to World (B) and allow it to take time and wait 10mins before login to World (B) to verify name works.

probably could reduce a few logins but do it to verify both clone and non-clone are actually active or not. Since most players have more than one character per account what you can't do and the reason this OLD BUG still exists is to FIX it you need to purge all characters from the Account to clear the clone then follow the steps above.

Alternate way of doing it using same steps is given you have 5 characters on one Account but only one has the name clone issue...
    - move all other characters off Account on World (B) the preferred destination to a different World (C)
    - login to (B) and DELETE all remaining clones or ghost characters remaining on that World so its empty
    - while on World (B) create a new character using the SAME name you are trying to fix but select a different race/path.
    - now login to that NEW character and once tutorial starts logout at lvl 1 then DELETE the character.
    - login to (C) and TRANSFER only the previously cloned character alone to (B) and wait 10 to 15mins before login to (B) to see if you got the original name without a -1

hope it makes sense, I did have do similar to fix a character that was stuck on a different game this way.
    You only other option is to keep the -1 and wait one year after all the sun-setting worlds are purged and names freed, or Turbine works some magic.

This cloning issue after transferring Worlds has happened in the past and never fixed
    The "best" part is that they atleast some time ago did not agree on there being anything going wrong when these duplicates are created.
    Once asked and the GM explained that there really just is another player on another account with that name
    And this really has happened _A LOT_ to ppl.

Only way to avoid the possibility of this happening it is to create clone your self first. Then after transfer delete the char with same name, and
    use your rename token to get rid of your -1 name.

Just imagine the amount of -1 -names going around after every world has been transferred to new servers if this is still not fixed

This has happened to me also when transferring a few days ago. Luckily it gave me the character without the -1, but if I add the -1 character to friends it's still there with the exact same details as when I first logged into that server (class, race, time etc.). Probably nothing to do with it but I did try and transfer 2 characters when this character was cloned, one of which failed and kept failing whenever I tried which was odd.

Actually I am more concerned at the GM response. It is theoretically possible that this is a technical problem with the transfer system which is why I raise it. It should be possible to do a check of the barter wallets for example to see if it's the same character or not.
    Well it is possible they looked at it and saw it was a unique account.....otherwise yeah it is a problematic response. I see this is a known issue so yes the GM should have said something in person along those lines. Hopefully Customer service can help you out!

Lothhil
    Last edited by Eirika; Aug 23 2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: cause I didn't read everything before posting!
    'I'm a hunter, I have all the defensive capability of a wet dishrag' - Lothhil

Quote Originally Posted by Eirika View Post
    Well it is possible they looked at it and saw it was a unique account....
    They have said to most others too with that problem. And it does not mean that there really is some another player with exactly same details for every single clone created..
    It is a bug. But I can admit that it must for some reason happen so that there is also some another unique account id created in the process.

But it is always the same story. All same details on the clone, last day logged in = the day of transfer, and never again it would appear to log in.
    They simply cant fix it or just dont want to admit that there is anything going wrong

If it would be only few players, it could be maybe more possible that there is such weird coincidences.. But theres a lot.. and remember, those clones never log in after the day of transfer.
    Last edited by Tenuke; Aug 24 2015 at 11:28 AM.

Seems to me as though the transfer process is multi-part and so can be prone to faults such as duplicating data if there is any lag between the server and the client. Or to put it another way - if this were a coincidence I'll eat my hat.

We were seeing some issues with deleted characters not clearing properly and that causing some problems in the naming. We are looking into that for another patch before re-enabling transfers.

Customer Support should be looking into these issues and are sending on the information to us. For those saying that they got an "automated response" was the ticket closed or was that just notification that we received the report and are looking into it? Please do let CS know in your ticket that it looks like a duplicate character if that is the case. Also let them know if this was the first transfer you made with that character or if you were moving that character back to a world it was previously on.

Thank you for your help!
    Vyvyanne

Quote Originally Posted by Eirika View Post
    Well it is possible they looked at it and saw it was a unique account.....otherwise yeah it is a problematic response. I see this is a known issue so yes the GM should have said something in person along those lines. Hopefully Customer service can help you out!

Lothhil
    It is more possible that it is a ghost toon that the GM can do nothing about. The reason I say this is back when the lotteries were still running I, and others, had ghosts that could actually win lotteries. Mine was a level 14 I deleted to remake. I didn't know it had copied or w/e until the next lottery came out. Naturally the ghost won something I actually wanted. It was not that big of a deal until I decided to try to re delete it. The new toon was only about level 10 so I deleted her. And re deleted her. And re deleted her. I bugged it. I think I may have mentioned it on the forums... or if not me, someone else. As far as I know she is still haunting Arkenstone somewhere. Nobody has ever mentioned why they are out there, or why they cannot be removed.

I think after /bugging the -1 name you might want to try moving it to another server. *I* would keep the -1 until you see a patch note saying this particular issue is fixed, unless you are ok with changing the name.

If the GM gave a stock answer it might be due to the fact the GM can't do anything about this issue since he/she can't change a toon id# or force someone to change their name if they are active.

anyway... /bug it.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyvyanne View Post
    We were seeing some issues with deleted characters not clearing properly and that causing some problems in the naming. We are looking into that for another patch before re-enabling transfers.Vyvyanne
    Thank you for this. My expectation was that when my transfer time will come, I would DELETE the place holder character, then transfer my character. I may be inclined to leave the character in place, and deleted after I transferred in and getting the Name-1 extension, and using the name credit to rename afterwards.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyvyanne View Post
    We were seeing some issues with deleted characters not clearing properly and that causing some problems in the naming. We are looking into that for another patch before re-enabling transfers.
    Deleted characters from a pre-existing account? That's not what's happening. It's an old bug in the transfer process. This happened to multiple members of my kinship when we transferred over en masse in 2012. About 30 players transferred (not characters, players) and I'd say this bug that the OP describes happened to about 5 of my people. The transfer process is actually a cut and paste, right? Well, it "double-pastes" and the "-1" goes to playable character leaving the other one looking like it's real in the friends list, but is actually a ghost. It also only happened on their main character, the one they played the most.

We submitted in game tickets, bug reports, and called the phone bank and were never followed up with.
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Thank you for this. My expectation was that when my transfer time will come, I would DELETE the place holder character, then transfer my character. I may be inclined to leave the character in place, and deleted after I transferred in and getting the Name-1 extension, and using the name credit to rename afterwards.
    This was how I planned to do it regardless of any issues with the system. If only to avoid the soul-wrenching pain that would strike me were someone to "steal" my name in the five minutes between deleting the name-holder and completion of the transfer. I put my name-holders on a different account so I can have both the name-holder and the transferring character on at the same time, with my cursor poised to complete the name change the instant I delete the name-holder.

This happened to me when I xferred to BW a year ago.

Before xferring I added my main's name to friend list to see if anyone had it already. It was taken by a lvl 5 burglar (not active). Once i xferred my main to BW i had the -1, added my name to friend list again and Stylo was no longer a lvl 5 burg but a lvl 95 rk, last logged when i xferred, elf explorer. Everything was the same.
    Original Challenger of the Abyss
    Alliance of the First Age ~ Crickhollow

I'm having doubts now. I've been digging through my records and found all my old Codemaster stuff. There was an account I had there that I had forgotten and it is possible that I created the original character now sitting on Laurelin. Problem is that although I know the account name I have no idea of the password or the email used and, of course, this was pre migration from Codemasters. I guess there is nothing for it but to forget it and rename.

I'm having doubts now. I've been digging through my records and found all my old Codemaster stuff. There was an account I had there that I had forgotten and it is possible that I created the original character now sitting on Laurelin. Problem is that although I know the account name I have no idea of the password or the email used and, of course, this was pre migration from Codemasters. I guess there is nothing for it but to forget it and rename.
    Maybe you have the bug Vyvyanne mentioned, about deleted characters not clearing properly? Because if you didn't transfer that character maybe it's considered deleted but when you moved your other character there, maybe it appeared but since it sort of was a ghost it got the level/location/race/etc of your current character? No idea but I really hope Turbine can fix it for you

Maybe you can wait with renaming until after the patch and see if the ghost still exists? If it's gone you could rename to your old name again
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Unless you migrated the character back in the 2nd half of 2011, it would never have made it onto Turbine's servers and so it would not exist on Laurelin now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast