We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Is there really a reason to limit the use of the Dol Amroth Faction tokens? I feel like this change is really to bar TP grinding, and since Dol Amroth Faction rep deeds don't reward TP, there isn't a need to gate them. It is nice to be able to use them on alts so you know you won't need to get them enough when they get to cap. A little thing, but I just see no reason for the limit.
    Baldigar, 105 Burglar on Landroval

I have a character who has done every meta- and slayer deed in Eriador. Needless to say, she had a pile of rep items. I sell excess rep items on the AH in lots of 50 or 100. She had her vault full of dribs and drabs of this and that-12 here, 27 there. Just last night, I sent them to my alt on the account, and she used them all up-apparently just before the hammer went down. I intend to have her be a completionist too, but it was a nice boost to her rep, and yes, it gained me about 60 TP in zip time, which I hadn't really thought about when I decided to do it. It was mostly just to free up storage space and get rid of odds and ends.

I can see where you would want to not have people farming TP, and I'm sorry that some folks have spoiled things for everybody else. It never occurred to me that when people gave me oodles of gold for rep on the AH that they were doing anything other than speed-leveling an alt.

I do agree with other posters here that you need to revisit the level limitations on the Shire and Bree rep.

I personally don't think people will care, even with the lvl requirement's now, you can still grind the Ered Luin/Shire/Bree Town deeds which would prob get you around idk 250tp a day. Even so a person can just multibox and have his/her higher lvl alts 1 shot mobs, so this in no wise will stop tp farming, it's simply a minor setback is all. It will however more then likely take a toll on rep sales which will prob go dead flat once this is enacted, so if this was your way of farming gold in-game you might be a bit upset.

There are still a ton of exploits in game of which I know of, and I won't post them here as I'm being monitored obvs lol, that being said the only 1's TB care's about are the one's that are money oriented such as the rep farm. You don't need a degree to figure that out.

However if this does keep up I can see more and more people leaving this game and going to other's that are True F2P games, or games with a 1 pay/play forever.
    Name Changes Was Chroano -> Now Gyakuri 86 Hobbit WRD ~ In-active
    Was Valesty -> Now Kurome 100 Hobbit MINI ~ Active
    ~Snowbourn
    TERA Rising Online: Blutsauger lvl 60 Elin Reaper

Quote Originally Posted by Nostro44 View Post
    It's become a problem for Turbine recently because of the large number of marks that are given out in instances, particularly big battles. People are exchanging these for rep items in skirm camps (something that originally wasn't available) and getting tp on garbage characters. Really it's Turbine's lack of foresight on these matters that has caused this change (nothing new there then).
    Well, they also did lower the rep item prices drastically at skirm camps recently so .. did they make a double mistake or was that all just one huge miscalculation?

My guess: That wasn't lack of foresight at all. It was a part of a bigger plan to reduce the amount of easily earned TPs while still giving players the feeling of earning plenty of them.

Other than the Gift Mathoms, it seems everyone agrees that this is a pretty reasonable change. It makes sense afterall, that you should not be able to get reputation in an area your character could not quest in.

Rly? You guys surprised over the Turbine <3 $ equation? Its been there since day one of the store.

Memba back at lvl65, ya know, when the store was introduced? We where promised that it would be fluff and nothing gamechangeing. That promise sure went up in smokes fast when they realized how much dough that could be made selling those 20sec cd powerpots that broke the game dynamics on BGLT. Been like that ever since. Dont ever expect Turbine to let something that gain the players instead of their wallets slip by or you will be seriously disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    It would've been nice to have a discussion about this before it was implemented.

I will agree with this... 100%

Glad to see there was a.....reprieve?

I understand why Turbine thinks this is a good idea, but I also agree that several of the level restrictions are way off base. Most players finish the Shire before level 15, so restricting Gift Mathoms to level 35+ seems a bit extreme.

If players are earning TP's with rep consumables too easily under the current system, then change the drop rate and/or increase the price of these items at the Skirmish camp. While you're at it, decrease the insane number of Marks and Medallions rewarded by Epic Battles. Or just remove the TP reward from Rep deeds entirely. If players want to get their alts to Kindred with a faction, great; they can still get a travel discount, cosmetics, horse, whatever, but no bonus TP. Such a change would be unpopular, but to a lesser extent than the current (proposed?) changes, and it would accomplish what the management at Turbine is seeking to accomplish without such a large impact to the overall game experience for the average player.
    Member of The Lonely Mountain Band!
    Sullo - 130 Hunter; Hadforod - 125 Champ

Regardless of my feelings on this particular subject (not fussed either way tbh), I'm actually kinda surprised this wasn't done a long time ago.

It makes sense afterall, that you should not be able to get reputation in an area your character could not quest in.
    So if a lvl10 cant quest in Angmar and a lvl100 cba questing in Angmar its still perfectly alright for the lvl100 to gain rep? M'kay..

I really cannot get behind this either. At a purely mechanical level, The Bree and Mathom Society levels need to be lowered as players can earn rep items below the minimum levels you've associated with these factions.

More importantly, doesn't this just highlight that the only real value now in pre-Lothlorien reputation is that they do offer a few TP at each tier? Collectors can grind out horse skins that will not get used because they are of lower stat than you can get elsewhere. There are a few other worthwhile rewards, but many of the others have been removed as the game has evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Frelorn View Post
    This was done in part due to an investigation that found the current system was being overly abused by a number of players. If after some time we need to adjust these numbers, we can do so relatively easily like we did today without even bringing the servers down. (Yay!)

That being said we will leave things as they are for now and revisit these numbers again after the holidays.
    I'm not sure you can call this abuse, more the law of unintended consequences in action. Unless there is something new here, there are three factors at play:

1). Unbound reputation items, which allow them to be moved across characters. From my recollection, that has always been in game -- If I'm wrong it would have to be in the Moria era when it was changed. In itself not a bad idea.

2). Adding 700 point items to the Skirmish vendors. Is there any way to view this other than to bypass the traditional way of gaining rep and make the process of gaining reputation easier? Again, not a bad idea considering the speed at which leveling has been increased, and the devauling of the early factions.

3). Remote hand-ins of items. Again, a change to make the whole process of reputation gain easier. This one I never really understood. It didn't make the actual mechanics any easier (you still have to click on all of the items one-by-one), and removed any last restriction on who could hand in which reputation item.

When all three pieces were put in place deliberately, it seems tough to call people using them abuse. More significantly, the whole mechanism has been in place (and has been used) for three years, and now its suddenly a problem?

For me, if you want to push these changes through, there really needs to be some Quid-Pro-Quo; restore a little of the other value to these reputation factions somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by ShireDweller View Post
    Wow. Merry Christmas to you too, Turbine.
    Pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by stupidflanders View Post
    I understand why Turbine thinks this is a good idea, but I also agree that several of the level restrictions are way off base. Most players finish the Shire before level 15, so restricting Gift Mathoms to level 35+ seems a bit extreme.

If players are earning TP's with rep consumables too easily under the current system, then change the drop rate and/or increase the price of these items at the Skirmish camp. While you're at it, decrease the insane number of Marks and Medallions rewarded by Epic Battles. Or just remove the TP reward from Rep deeds entirely. If players want to get their alts to Kindred with a faction, great; they can still get a travel discount, cosmetics, horse, whatever, but no bonus TP. Such a change would be unpopular, but to a lesser extent than the current (proposed?) changes, and it would accomplish what the management at Turbine is seeking to accomplish without such a large impact to the overall game experience for the average player.
    Your suggestion make perfect sense. Rather than putting a limit on the rep, fix the core problem: the TP rewarded with Rep deeds. Get rid of it. You're right, such a change would be unpopular, but so is the current solution.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is my personal opinion.

This is a bad change, in my opinion. What if lower-level characters decide to quest in a zone a few levels early? The mathom restrictions are especially brutal.

As for the suggestion that Reputation deeds shouldn't reward TP, just...no. Turbine already did that in Central Gondor (only one of the 4 factions rewards TP), and I would hate to see them expand on that.

some of the level requirements are just wrong. Mathoms-Bree etc.. Some of my characters will be long gone from Bree and the Shire way before they are able to turn in even a single rep item now. A simple solution would have been to make rep items Bind on acquire. At least with BoA rep items my alts could still earn rep at the proper levels. Leave the TP rewards for rep deeds but it would at least allow for gaining rep at the right levels. And it would do away with rep item farming but still allow toons to earn their TP.

Personally they should have just left the whole system alone. There are bigger problems with the game then toons earning TP thru rep deeds via a system that has been in place for several years. Fix some of those instead.

This was done in part due to an investigation that found the current system was being overly abused by a number of players. If after some time we need to adjust these numbers, we can do so relatively easily like we did today without even bringing the servers down. (Yay!)

That being said we will leave things as they are for now and revisit these numbers again after the holidays.
    Thats nice, but you realize it looks like nobody involved in this decision ever did any Shire quests, right? I question the amount of play even the testers on site should know this. Gift Mathoms, really?

1+1=2
    How did you not know this when you made the original decisions?
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

How about this....

Just limit the amount of TP you can earn by rep to the number of toon slots you havex50 for each faction per server. You can still turn in for rep after that, just not get TP.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolas View Post

1). Unbound reputation items, which allow them to be moved across characters. From my recollection, that has always been in game -- If I'm wrong it would have to be in the Moria era when it was changed. In itself not a bad idea.

2). Adding 700 point items to the Skirmish vendors. Is there any way to view this other than to bypass the traditional way of gaining rep and make the process of gaining reputation easier? Again, not a bad idea considering the speed at which leveling has been increased, and the devauling of the early factions.

3). Remote hand-ins of items. Again, a change to make the whole process of reputation gain easier. This one I never really understood. It didn't make the actual mechanics any easier (you still have to click on all of the items one-by-one), and removed any last restriction on who could hand in which reputation item.

4). Increased character DPS with every major update. The only thing which limits the farming of rep. item nowadays is the respawn timer. You can easily manage to farm rep items worth about 100 TP in about 40 minutes.

5). The Boerning character tutorial. It now only requires < 10 minutes to reach the mailbox.

Yeah, when was this change coming?

I had to quickly log on and get my 60k TP done, amused it was still not changed! Lucky me i guess, eh?

While we're on it, should i take the server down for you?
    Moridin

Aut vincere aut mori
    Attitude is everything

League of Legends HebnesO: Singed The MAD Chemist. - Gold ranked player season one
    Lotro:Minstrel x2, Burglar x2, Lore Master x2, Guardian, Champion, Captain, Hunter, Runekeeper and Warden
    Ranks:3xr10, 5xr7, 2xr6, 2xr5,r4 and r3.. Lvls: 2x75 8x65
    Retired status: Ultra Casual

Quote Originally Posted by EmyrSelyf View Post
    How about this....

Just limit the amount of TP you can earn by rep to the number of toon slots you havex50 for each faction per server. You can still turn in for rep after that, just not get TP.
    Big fat 'no' from me. Their current solution is much better (even if the levels are dramatically off).

Honestly surprised this didn't happen, like, 2 years ago. I certainly hope this isn't the 'exploit' Turbine was talking about, considering that people have been doing what is a game mechanic (just horribly implemented for Turbine) for, again, 2 years.

Gift Mathom level should be removed is the big one. Bree, Shire, Lone-lands rep should not be higher than 20, and Esteldin no higher than 25.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    I'm really not a fan of this change. I understand that Turbine doesn't want to encourage people to create characters and feed them rep items for much higher levels, just to earn TP. On the other hand this is the only way some people can afford to play and has been in place essentially since F2P came out.

The levels of some of these rep items is set too high, as evidenced by the Shire rep for level 35. Even the Bree rep can be earned before level 20. It would've been nice to have a discussion about this before it was implemented.
    Well said, as always, Beanie!

Frelorn, I understand that if no one pays for the game, the game can't continue to exist, but Beanie makes an excellent point that the TP rep item farm is the only way many people can get extra content. I only wonder if this will drive some of these players away from the game? Hopefully, as Beanie mentioned, there can be a discussion on this after the holidays

Other than using marks/meds, or grinding the items on higher level chars, how exactly is the system being abused? Because both of these examples are surely a useful way to spend skirmish currency in order to gain TP, or using a higher level character to help out alts/friends - I wouldn't say that these were exploitative.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

For now given the time of year and the contentious nature of this we are going to table the change until we all get through the holidays and had some more time to implement this in way that is best for everyone involved. We thank everyone for the feedback and we will bring this discussion up again when we are ready to put in the changes. Thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2