We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    There is no wrong way to gave fun, except to have fun hurting others.

The problem here is that here are people who think "fun" is found in diminishing the quality of experience for others. Who find enjoyment, not in "how can I help you?" But in "How can I hurt you?"

The world does not need such people.
    +1 .. and certainly Lotro doesn't need those sort of people.
    [B]Numenorean Guard, Landroval[/B]
    [B][COLOR=ORANGE]Nuthor-R9 Hunter, Nuthric-R7 Champion, Nuthoranna-R6 Burglar, Nuthro-R0 Guardian, Gotku-R9 Warg[/B][/COLOR]

Griefing is griefing, no matter how people try to dress it up or justify it as "a bit of fun". Some people (clearly from this thread) do not find it fun - so it's griefing end of story. Whether another individual thinks they should find it fun is irrelevant.

As to what sanction should be applied, that's up to the GM involved. A lifetime ban and character delete seems extreme for someone who's done it once, maybe not so if they do it over and over, especially to disrupt RP events.

Hey folks, for now we have shut this quest down so no more misuse can occur. It will be fixed in an upcoming update to the game.

It would have been helpful if this had been announced so some of us wouldn't have wasted a daily on taking the quest and then discovering that there are no more turtles in the water. Work on your communication to the players please.

This was very literally a very quick discussion that lead to us turning it off. I could not have given much more notice than I did unless we waited longer to turn it off which was not something we wanted to do. Sorry for the inconvenience. We will always try to give more notice when we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Frelorn View Post
    Hey folks, for now we have shut this quest down so no more misuse can occur. It will be fixed in an upcoming update to the game.
    Checked and confirmed on Landroval. Thank you and the Turbine team for finally taking action on this.

For those of you maintaining undefeated characters, I suggest waiting a few more days, just in case stored turtles still work for griefing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Astarte View Post
    My perspective is just fine, thanks for your concern.

The issue here is that this is a nasty trick perpetrated on people trying to enjoy a new game. Not animated characters with no feelings, but the people at the other end of the keyboard.I

If I find anyone in my kin has done this, I'll boot them as well. If you cannot have fun w/o ruining someone else's, we're not playing the same game.

That's the perspective I find relevant here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    There is no wrong way to gave fun, except to have fun hurting others.

The problem here is that here are people who think "fun" is found in diminishing the quality of experience for others. Who find enjoyment, not in "how can I help you?" But in "How can I hurt you?"

The world does not need such people.
    Both posts very well said. It's not about what pixels got mangled, but having fun at the expense of others who can do nothing about it. I'm glad to see there are others that feel the same way. World chat on Crickhollow last night was discouraging to say the least.

Thanks a ton! Well done.

This was very literally a very quick discussion that lead to us turning it off. I could not have given much more notice than I did unless we waited longer to turn it off which was not something we wanted to do. Sorry for the inconvenience. We will always try to give more notice when we can.
    You did the right thing. Advanced notice would have allowed the griefers to store up turtles. This action will catch them flat footed.

I would gladly give up one daily quest for one day knowing it benefits so many others.

Thank you!
    Former Chief of the all-hobbits Landroval kinship, Concerning Hobbits.
    Hobbit Minstrel--Rozalinde
    Aficionado of Chicken Adventures

Thumbs up

Thank you!!!

I've experienced this griefing at three rp/music events in Bree on Crickhollow and Landroval. Players involved in "innocent" activities such as music or crafting in populated areas have clearly been the target. Crickhollow is planning its first big music festival, Shirefest, for the weekend of August 15-17, and one of our biggest worries has been the likelihood of having it wrecked by turtle attacks. Your decision (finally!!) to shut down the quest is most welcome--but I have to wonder why it took so long. However, regardless of what needed to happen behind the scenes--thumbs-up for making this idiocy stop.

As for ramping up excitement in the game: sure, if TURBINE wants to create a game mechanic whereby a desperate woodsman suddenly rushes into Bree warning of an impending attack by Blackwold Brigands or Angmarim Warriors, that would be interesting. Everyone would at least have a chance to arm themselves for the fight or choose to escape (log out) in time. Having some pathetic juvenile griefer disrupt a concert, festival or folks in the crafting hall simply because he has a turtle in his inventory and thinks it would be "fun" to cause chaos is totally unacceptable.
    Willowing, Leader of Second Breakfast of Crickhollow
    2 Twinfall Path, Tund Faroth, Falathlorn
    2 Cypress Road, Tol Faen, Belfalas
    Do drop in! The doors are always open!

Breakfast: the best meals of the day!

Thank you so much! I very much appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vexendynamus View Post
    For those of you maintaining undefeated characters, I suggest waiting a few more days, just in case stored turtles still work for griefing.
    But the summer festival only lasts a few more days now and after that some of the horses will be gone for good Does anybody know if the stored turtles still work?
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    Thank you so much! I very much appreciate it!

But the summer festival only lasts a few more days now and after that some of the horses will be gone for good Does anybody know if the stored turtles still work?
    My guess is that they still do, if they're in the griefer's
    overflow pack. A yes or no from Frelorn or other Turbinite
    would be helpful, but I'd err on the side of caution if I
    were trying to protect an "undying" character -- which I
    have never attempted, since I regularly got killed at
    least once before I got out of the newbie instance.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    My guess is that they still do, if they're in the griefer's
    overflow pack. A yes or no from Frelorn or other Turbinite
    would be helpful, but I'd err on the side of caution if I
    were trying to protect an "undying" character -- which I
    have never attempted, since I regularly got killed at
    least once before I got out of the newbie instance.
    A friend of mine died after walking a few steps in the intro area for dwarves and elves She was just going to jump down the not very high cliff-side and somehow ended up dead XD Cliffs are a murderous sort, and not to be taken lightly!
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    A friend of mine died after walking a few steps in the intro area for dwarves and elves She was just going to jump down the not very high cliff-side and somehow ended up dead XD Cliffs are a murderous sort, and not to be taken lightly!
    Dear me. If she tried to take those steep steps
    from Edhelion down to the Silver Deep too quickly,
    it's no wonder she fell.

Once the territory between the North Bree-lands
    and Weathertop opened up, I discovered that it
    overlooks Archet, and one can jump down into it --
    not to one's death, not if one is level 50 or so,
    as I think I was at the time.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Thank you for closing the quest, Frelorn. My level 37 cappy got nailed by a turtle day before yesterday while opening his vault in Thorin's Hall. Didn't even see the turtle or who sent it, I was just suddenly dead. This was the third time for me personally in several days, on different servers. I haven't lost anything in the way of titles, my characters are all mid-level and I fortunately wasn't in the middle of anything. I didn't lose any buffs. But it gets really old, regardless. I was reminded again this week why it is I have involuntary emotes turned off when a griefer tried to make me faint in the middle of learning one of the dances. I have no use for people who can't enjoy something without spoiling it for anyone else.

Dear me. If she tried to take those steep steps
    from Edhelion down to the Silver Deep too quickly,
    it's no wonder she fell.
    It was down the slope from where you first appear so she shouldn't have died XD Maybe she jumped down a little bit too far to the right and went down two cliffs

Once the territory between the North Bree-lands
    and Weathertop opened up, I discovered that it
    overlooks Archet, and one can jump down into it --
    not to one's death, not if one is level 50 or so,
    as I think I was at the time.
    In many other games I have played, cliffs aren't really cliffs. They're shortcuts! It's a lot more fun when they give an added danger to the game though

The quest was active last night on Riddermark, it still shows up on the list of quests for the Docks but I can't tell if it is disabled or not until the cooldown has expired.

Thank you! My wife and I have kept our characters away from the major cities since we first hear of this. It will be nice to know they can safely go back in a few days.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is my personal opinion.

When RoR came out it was Avanc's in the Pony.

The mechanic of this exploit has long been common knowledge. Come on Turbine, not again.

When this happened on Landroval it ultimately caused me to fail a couple of the Ale Association quests. Because it was so unexpected and random, I found it to be more amusing than anything though. It certainly broke up the monotony.

Any chance we will ever see an entire PvMP server (all regions)?

I am glad the quest has been stopped. But what if these turtles are in a person's inventory bags rather than just in their overflow?

PLEASE! Destroy the turtles themselves Turbine! Otherwise the fall festival, harvest festival, and any other festivals will be disasters, with turtles being released to slaughter those of us who want to actually relax and enjoy the festivals...
    Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

Wow. I had no idea there was such an exploit and that was used to widely. But then again, I have been staying in and around Dol Amroth for the last couple of weeks with all my characters. Last week I was surprised to see that there was a Lamedon Turtle inside House of Coins in Dol Amroth (thought there was a single bug), but because the room had several lvl 100 players, turtle got killed before it got to kill any AFK players.

BTW, those turtles may very well be the hardest landscape signatures in game at the moment, considering that they are marked as boss (no mob level shown) and immune to all kind of CC, and they hit VERY hard. So it can eeasily kill even a single lvl 100 player if that player is not concentrating enough, let alone lower level players.

Personally I believe that this kind of griefing should be worth a permanent ban after one warning. It might be that someone releases a turtle by accident (I might imagine that if I noticed a turtle in my inventory, I would click it, but then again if I saw what I released, I also tried to kill it myself before it got to hurt others) or even thinking it might be funny to others as well (some people have bad judgement skills ), but after one warning it should be clear that such behavior will not be tolerated. This community do not need those people that find their fun in hurting other players.

I would hope that if Turbine could see from their logs that a player under lvl 20 got killed by Lamedon Turtle and that caused him/her to lose his Undying title, they could "undo" those deaths. It might be impossible though, but I would hate if I lost my title because of griefing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anavalar View Post
    When RoR came out it was Avanc's in the Pony.

The mechanic of this exploit has long been common knowledge. Come on Turbine, not again.
    And before then, worms from the Lost Temple.

You'd think they'd have learned, wouldn't you?
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Wellwellwell...

It's always interesting to read these threads on various Griefing instances/abilities. Interesting because one can tell the Sociopaths from the Non-Sociopaths just by what they post.

The non-sociopaths generally show some empathy for their fellow players who might not enjoy being griefed, or even tolerate it.

The sociopaths are the ones whose posts generally fall along the lines of, "Suck it up! Stop whining! I wouldn't mind dying as the result
    of someone else's prank, if it were my character in question...
    "

Sociopaths do not have empathy. They do not care about the feelings and thoughts of others. And they actually enjoy seeing/causing
    chaos and dismay and actual harm to others - even if it's 'just in a game'.

Psychologists could have a field-day in these forums, watching the open, unhidden, even gleeful sociopathy on display by some posters.
    Way to go, pro-griefers; keep revealing yourselves to the rest of us.

Your posting reminded me of an old song that I heard on the radio when I was still going to school.

I propose the Peter-Sarstedt-Test of empathy. Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8XQZYIiNgo

If you feel sad, you have passed the test.

If you felt jealous, you didn't.

Greetings, Polymachos

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast