We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Character Creation Issue

Hello Everyone, New Player here, ok I signup just fine for the website and game just fine but as soon as I login and get to the creation screen, I only have Gender Selection,Class Selection, Class Cinematic and Race Cinematic*whatever it is* available..and no preview of said character(s) being created..and the Continue Character Creation button is not useable/highlighted to proceed. I am quite frustrated by this..so please..any help? ideas?

2. Welcome to the game!

There's a bug in some versions of the software, I believe - you can't be playing in DirectX 10 or 11 mode when creating a character. Try switching in your Options menu to DirectX 9 and see if that works.
    Tarciryan Knights ~ Crickhollow ~ | ~ Landroval ~ Watchers of Elendil
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

Galad is right, there's a bug that prevents certain hardware configurations to
    allow char creation to continue at DX10/DX11, switch to DX9 untill the char is created
    and game has launched, then switch back to DX10/11...

Ok Thanks A lot! it worked but im not sure if I want to mess around with direct 10 again..maybe later on. but for now my games works. I am under the Name GinianFerth since Bard was taken..
    Last edited by BardTheAwesome; Dec 29 2013 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BardTheAwesome View Post
    since Bard was taken..
    It's not that the name was taken, it's that "Bard" is a category of NPC that, until recently, had an important role in equipping traits. But, since HD's release, has become little more than a simple musical instrument vendor.

Though, if you were so inclined, there's the Yule festival happening now, and you can earn the "the Bard" title in the theater.

Actually, whether Bard as a name was taken, it is a major name in the LOTRO universe (Bard was the archer from Dale that killed Smaug). As such Turbine may have locked the name themselves to prevent a player from using the same name as a possible future NPC.
    LOTRO proves that Middle Earth is Hobbit Forming!

I have the same problem but slighty different

They gave out many things in mid 2022 including the high elf race, but when I go to create one, its stuck on the Bawler class, with no Character just a blackscreen, cannot change class, if i click contoniue it will let me edit my look and name, still no character on screen just black, but will not let me create no matter what I press, and then the buttons for the race is gone and i have to press ESC alll the way back to character select, im trying not to redownload the entire game it would take a week, not even joking. Turning to DirextX9 does not change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonmnn View Post
    They gave out many things in mid 2022 including the high elf race, but when I go to create one, its stuck on the Bawler class, with no Character just a blackscreen, cannot change class, if i click contoniue it will let me edit my look and name, still no character on screen just black, but will not let me create no matter what I press, and then the buttons for the race is gone and i have to press ESC alll the way back to character select, im trying not to redownload the entire game it would take a week, not even joking. Turning to DirextX9 does not change anything.
    Log in to the game. At the character creation/selection screen, invoke the in-game store. Do a search on HIGH ELF. If you get an option to purchase the High Elf race, you do not own it. If you do not get an option to purchase the High Elf race, you own it.

Regardless whether you own the race or not, you should not be getting blank or black screens. That indicates an issue with your installation of the game. I did read the part where you wrote that you don't want to redownload the game but if you can create characters of other races but not High Elf, and you own the High Elf race; you should not be experiencing this problem. In which case, your best solution is to run the "repair" process from the LOTRO launcher application. I will note that running the "repair" process requires downloading almost as much as reinstalling the entire game after deleting it, so it won't save you much time or bandwidth – but it will save you some.

Perhaps someone else can suggest a solution more to your liking but I doubt it because you either are not doing exactly as you described or you have an issue with your installation of the game.
    Last edited by Tralfazz; May 28 2022 at 09:02 PM. Reason: BLANK not BLACK

Thanks i had same problem here.

Now solved.