We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question The Battle of Lórien - what are the requirements?

Hello, to organise a fellowship for this fellowship instance, starting in Caras Galadhron at Belvagor, is unfortunately rather frustrating though it is not part of a quest chain. The quest seems to have hidden requirements. Some people can't get the Battle quest from Belvagor though they have done nrly all of Lothlorien quests. Some did the quest already one time (repeatable instance) and suddenly now can't accept it again (there is no ring anymore).

My guess is that the quest has a timer for requirements, like I think the Angmar instance chain at Garth Forthnir has, in the sense of for example "10 preparation quests need to be done in the last 24 hours" to start the Battle. That would explain why some people can't get the Battle quest though they have done much in Lothlorien in the past.

Has anybody an idea what are the requirements to start the Battle of Lórien?

And to Turbine: Pls take such requirements for the Angmar and Lothlorien special instances away, there is otherwise not enough going on in the old regions (not end game anymore) to get fellowships together for them without a headache.

The 4 "Lothlorien Preparations" quests (I-IV, all available insider Caras Galadhon) must be completed 600 times total server-wide. There are flags near Belvagor indicating the current count. The count usually resets each time a server is brought offline for update, patch or maintenance. Those who accepted the quest before and have it in their quest log can progress it and join the instance, while the rest have to wait. At least before RoR release, enough people still quested casually in Lothlorien for the number to be reached within 3 days of last downtime.

I will add that after the battle is run a certain number of times (not sure how many) the preparation count will reset to zero and you'll need to wait for it to get back to 600 before you can run it again. I saw this happen once right after I'd finished a battle so it can't have been a server reset or anything like that.

I agree that this quest and the Angmar ones need attention. The obvious solution is to just make them skirmishes but I believe Turbine has said there are no plans to do this. This boggles me since it would be a lot easier than making new ones from scratch, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    The obvious solution is to just make them skirmishes but I believe Turbine has said there are no plans to do this. This boggles me since it would be a lot easier than making new ones from scratch, but there you go.
    A Blue Name had at one point said that making a new skirmish entirely from scratch would in fact be much easier than converting an existing instance with complicated mechanics into one. Based on my personal experience in both programming and life, I have no reasons to doubt it.

I'm sure a skirmishified Battle of Lorien would have some changes, I wouldn't expect it to be 100% as it is now. I meant more that it gives them an idea to build on instead of coming up with something entirely new.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    I'm sure a skirmishified Battle of Lorien would have some changes, I wouldn't expect it to be 100% as it is now. I meant more that it gives them an idea to build on instead of coming up with something entirely new.
    Ideas are cheap. If Turbine is like the company I work for, there are thousands of good ideas in the jar waiting for management to pull the idea out and hand it to the worker bees.

A do over is always extra work. You spend all this time discussing what you want to keep. What has to be changed. Start using hammers to make concept modifications. That did not work. Do we have a bigger hammer? There is a customer expectation that the new version is going to work like the old version. You can not use any major components like mobs, objectives, loot, scripting. Gosh only knows how many hammer blows to change the map to be a Skirmish map instead of a regular map.

You need four skirmishes for the finished map 1, 3, 6 and 12 size models. The game software does not scale size except for 3 to 2. Your size selection determines which of the four skirmishes is presented to you.

The skirmish conversions like 2.5.5 look and feel similar to the original instances. It took them a long time to complete the conversion -maybe a year?
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.