We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fastest "free" way to get Turbine Points?

'Ello!

So, I'm one of those penniless peasants who's primary interest in LOTRO is that it's free to play! ...or can be, at least. After playing for a week or so, it's not hard to see how mountains of cash are probably being made by selling Turbine Points...

As much as I'd love to contribute to that mountain of cash, and really put my money where my mouth is when I say to the devs "well done" (and seriously, well done! LOTRO is a beautiful game!) ...the circumstances of my life are such that putting money into a video game is pretty much out of the question, regardless of how nice a break from reality that game is.

So, the question is, what's the best way to get these turbine points without actually denting the bank account? I did find a nice trick on my own, which I'm sure is common knowledge among those who've actually been playing for a decent amount of time, and that's the quest "A little extra never hurts" (or something like that) that can be completed once per server, and offers 10pts per completion; so I rolled an alt on every server, ran it to the that quest, and got enough points for mount training and some extra inventory space... but that source of points is now exhausted for me, so I must turn to another.

I'm willing to bet the answer lies with class deeds; get a toon passed the intro, do a few deeds, scrap it, repeat. ...the question is which starting zone (race) and class combination provide the biggest bang for our buck? ...or rather, fastest bang for our time; the 'buck' is busy with other frivolous things like food and rent.

Now, I know this isn't really the kind of question to be posting in a forum, since it's usually met with any variation of "Google it, you lazy <insert profanity here>!" ...but the thing is, I did Google it, and the result was quite surprising: there are actually TONS of guides explaining the best way to get free turbine points!! ...the issue is that "the best method" changes every time you switch to a new guide... *headscratch* ...so, my real question, to those of you who have actually explored some of these methods, is: Which one actually offers the best point-to-time ratio?

That is all! Thank you for suffering through my wall-o-text!

/salute

-Hal

Re: Fastest "free" way to get Turbine Points?

http://lotroguru.blogspot.com/2011/0...de-part-i.html

This isn't bad. Personally, I'd be more inclined to take it further, but because theres a lot of low-hanging points until 30 or so and the time differential isnt too bad at that point; and it comes in waves and you get more characters progressed that way.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

I find doing these deeds easiest (for me) to do (i tp grind as Elf Hunter):

Ally/Defender/Hero of Ered Luin - 10/20/30 Quests completed in Ered Luin (45pts)

Elf Ruins Exploration (Ered Luin) - Find 5 Elf Ruins (5pts)
    Places of the Dwarves (Ered Luin) - Find 5 dwarf places (5pts)
    Scouting the Dourhands (Ered Luin) - Find 4 places (5pts)

Wolf Slayer (Ered Luin) - Kill 30/60 Wolves (15pts)
    Goblin Slayer (Ered Luin) - Kill 30/60 Goblins (15pts)
    Hendroval Slayer (Ered Luin) - Kill 30/60 Hendrovals (15pts)
    Brigand Slayer (Ered Luin) - Kill 30/60 Brigands (15pts)
    Spider Slayer (Ered Luin) - Kill 30/60 Spiders (15pts)

This is a total of 135pts, if you havent grabbed the free 10pts per server then that will increase it to 145 on the first run. If you are diligent should be able to do this in a few hours.
    6/8 SoA, 0/2 Moria, 0/1 Mirkwood, 0/1 Isengard, 1/1 Great River, 0/1 Rohan, 4/7 Skirmishes , 2/4 Instances, 0/1 Raid
    Cap removed, Premium Wallet - No, 15/35 AH, 4/15 Char slots, Bags: 5/6, 20/110 Shared Storage, 0/120 Shared Wardrobe, 0/2 Premium Classes , 0/5 Monster Play

In terms of straight TP-per-minute, I think the fastest option is the one described in detail in the link Crell posted. Don't forget to keep opening your gift box, and be sure to use everything that pops out of it - especially the 24 hour horse and the deed accelerators!

But I would take a step back and work out what your primary focus is. If you're someone who wants to race to end game then this is a good approach - grind out TP with throwaway characters so you can afford new quest packs for your main character and progress them.

If you're someone who enjoys the journey, I think that method would get very frustrating and boring very fast. If you're that type of player I think the better option is to create alts you actually want to level, and play them through the game. Try to take quests that you didn't do with your main and explore the different classes and races. Playing the same quest with a Burglar and a Hunter is often a very different experience.

Playing a character through all of the free areas and along the way completing most slayer deeds, some class and racial deeds, all exploration deeds, your gift box TP quests and gaining full rep with Bree will bring you enough Turbine Points for a quest pack. Plus you end up with a much better understanding of the advantages and limitations of other classes, which is a huge advantage when grouping.
    Last edited by Ozeagle; Aug 04 2011 at 02:39 AM.
    Confused about the F2P/Premium/VIP account types? [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?377885-What-happens-if...-answers-about-the-account-types]This post may help.[/URL]

you dont even need to scrap and repeat. Keep making new toons on different servers for the extra 10tp per server, level em up to 10 or 12 and do the starter slayer deeds in the shire, ered luin, and bree-land (but skip the slugs in the shire, its a pain) I find the quickest toons to level are champions and hunters. After you level 1 or 2 youll start to be able to level a toon to 10 in an hour or so and crank out the slayer deeds fast. I started totally free to play and did just this to unlock the zones i wanted to level in first and kept going back for more toons as i needed extra TP if my main wasnt quite getting enough to move on to the next zone. I also highly suggest getting a boxed copy of mines of moria or getting RoI in some form and getting 1 month of VIP. With MoM boxed copy you get a month free VIP which gives you swift travel, all traits and bags, runekeeper and warden, and of course moria quest pack. Its just a shame you dont get the free month of VIP with RoI.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130100000c8f8d/signature.png]Creepie[/charsig]

Cool Re: Fastest "free" way to get Turbine Points?

Go to the Hunters Lodge and do the quest there and you will get 10 Tp. It is a level 5 quest which can be completed once per world.

I know you are against denting your bank account, but consider this:

If you do nothing more than buy the smallest pack of Turbine Points (roughly $7, the cost of a big-mac meal) you get about 500 points, one extra character slot per server, and your gold limit raised to 5gp.

With those 500 points, and your third slot, it's possible to level all of your characters to 65 on the same server with very little grind grind grinding of newbs on other servers. Here is a good nearly free path some have successfully taken:

1st. Make a TP grinding alt on each server to get the 10 quick points for doing so.
    2nd. Buy your tiny pack of points (get 500ish points)
    3rd. Play your main character up through Lone-Lands, don't forget to finish as many deeds as you can long the way!
    4th. Play an alt up through Lone-Lands, finish all deeds you can, and try starting from a different area, with this one, and also a complimentory profession.
    5th. Repeat 4, with your third character, with the last starting area and another complimentary profession.

At this point, you now have 3 characters all hovering around level 30, with a set of professions that interconnect, and have experienced the three different opennings to get the broadest sense of the story in LotRO... Now you can continue to cap

6th. You should have more than enough to buy a couple of Quest Packs, most people will recommend Evendim, for sure.

7th. Play your three guys though the new quest pack, completing all the deeds you can.

etc... As you continue to play three guys through each quest pack, you should be able to complete enough deeds to buy other quest packs as you go.

The main point is, the difference in ease of play at the expense of a big-mac meal is Huge (which is exactly the point...)

Now... assuming you are truely broke, and can't afford $7 (which is legitemate) here is how to do something similar to above:

1. Make 1 character on each server for the free 10 points.
    2. Make your Main on your preferred server, play through LL.
    3. Make your second and reapeat through LL.
    4. Play some throw aways to get enough points for a third character slot (if you wish to have all three characters on the same server to compliment professions.)
    5. Play all through LL, do all deeds
    6. Buy next one
    7. Play through it with all three, do all deeds,
    8. repeat 6-8... If you find yourself a bit short, then grind out a lowbie or two for a Point injection.

This method of levelling up three people together has the benefit of being not as mind-numbingly boring as repeating Erid Luin starting area for the 100th time for Points. But, if at all possible, spend just $7 on the tiny pack of Turbine points - it's extreamely worth it for one starting out.
    Last edited by EtherDragon; Aug 04 2011 at 12:35 PM.
    A handy Comparison Chart and a very handy FAQ
    Not sure what area comes next? Get some guidance from mmorsel!
    Learn all you need to know about horses in LotRO!
    See LotRO Videos at my YouTube Channel

Not everybody can afford Big Macs. That being said, if you go VIP for a month (12$ from an SOA code available online) it'll save lots of points needing to be ground out in future. MoM boxes are great - if you can find them cheap locally or on ebay, but they're pretty rare at this point.

The big thing that you can't get without going VIP for at least one month is swift travel - and some travel routes are swift travel only. You can still get from point A to point B, but it's going to involve a lot of riding (or in Evendim, swimming). You can roll a hunter, or knock out enough points to buy the warden class to get around some of this - hunters have a lot of ports, and wardens have a fair number of musters (things that let them bypass normal travel routes), but you'll still hit a few glitches.

The link Crell posted is good - it's a bit boring, but you can knock out 200 points of an evening, do that once or twice a week and you'll have enough points for gold cap removal, quest packs, trait slots, etc. Even if you're VIP you're probably still going to need to grind for things like shared storage (1000 points per 10 spaces) and a few other things that are Really Useful to Have that your 500 points per month just won't cover when you need it (when you find you're spending close to a gold to mail various crafting items to crafting alts after a trip into the wild, for instance), and most people, even if they have income, are only going to spend up to a certain amount of money on a game.

If you've got any disposable cash, look for a reasonably priced MoM box, either locally, or on ebay. That's the best bang for the buck. Short of that, SoA from gametimezone.com for 12$ US. Short of that - a 6.50$ points package to get you up to premium, which raises the gold cap to 5 gold, gives you an extra character slot, and removes some of the annoying anti-spam limitations on mail and chat, and lets you trade, mail gold to your other toons, and post things on the AH.

If none of those things are possible, grind points. It's not that bad, at least if you don't do it every single day. And short of swift travel and PVP, you can pretty much buy access to everything (you can buy short-term swift travel, I think, but the prices are outrageous - it's just not worth it).

It sounds like the MoM xpac is well worth the $10... even I can spare that.

Now the question is... where can I find it? My understanding is that the boxed version offers a better deal than the in-game store version for turbine pts... but it seems to not be on the shelves any more... I've checked at Walmart, FredMeyer, Gamestop, and Target, and none of them have it... who does?

I know region can be a big factor for that kind of thing, so if it helps, I'm living in Tigard Oregon, USA at the moment.

Thanks for the tips, all!

The boxed MoM expansion hasn't been produced for a few years now - any that are still around are gathering dust in back rooms.

There are people selling them on eBay, but they now realise the value of them and prices are up to around the $35 mark (at which point it's hardly worth it). Back when F2P launched it was easy to get these for $10 or $15.

If you want to find a box cheap, I'd recommend phoning all the stores you can and asking someone to check the database in case there's one lying around somewhere. Especially a chain store where they might be able to check stock across multiple states.
    Confused about the F2P/Premium/VIP account types? [URL=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?377885-What-happens-if...-answers-about-the-account-types]This post may help.[/URL]

There aren't that many MoM boxes to be had anymore, sadly - six months ago it was different.

At least in USA, you'll likely stumble across a Turbine one - Codemasters boxes are useless since the migration of the European servers to Turbine.

I'd check local retailers, and also keep an eye on ebay (carefully looking at any sellers' feedback before buying). You could even contact the seller and ask them if they'd be so good as to give you the box code, as that's all you need, and save on the shipping costs - I'd be willing to do that, I know, I have done as I used to sell things like games on ebay.

Sorry, but never had any MoM boxes. I picked mine up at gametimezone.com just in the nick, it seems - they ran out a week later. All the boxes were made in 2008, so it's not that surprising. They also just ran out of SoA boxes. Those would be second choice, and possibly easier to find.

Amazon sellers seem to have a few of both, but caveat emptor:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...oria&x=12&y=17

Also, if you live near one of the MicroCenter stores, you have a very good chance of finding a MoM box there for $19.99. Click http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0301339 and choose your local area via the drop menu at the top of the page. Some, such as Denver or Baltimore, have over 10 copies available, while some (Detroit and Saint Louis) have only 2 or 3.

Unfortunately, it's only available for an in-store pickup. So if you're not there and you can't get there, you're pretty much out of this option.
    C:>COFFEE.COM error. (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000024057f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Unhappy Re: Fastest "free" way to get Turbine Points?

i am trying to get the 10 tp for each server, but is the only way to change worlds is to exit the whole game and launch it again? i don't like to do that since i have a bad computer and i don't want to overexert it..

Quote Originally Posted by Amagaim View Post
    Also, if you live near one of the MicroCenter stores, you have a very good chance of finding a MoM box there for $19.99. Click http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0301339 and choose your local area via the drop menu at the top of the page. Some, such as Denver or Baltimore, have over 10 copies available, while some (Detroit and Saint Louis) have only 2 or 3.

Unfortunately, it's only available for an in-store pickup. So if you're not there and you can't get there, you're pretty much out of this option.
    Last time I ran it down for someone, the two stores that possessed one copy each were located in Austin, Texas and Orange County, California. if there's a copy left, it's likely at one of those places, so probably not an option for an Oregonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanah View Post
    Last time I ran it down for someone, the two stores that possessed one copy each were located in Austin, Texas and Orange County, California. if there's a copy left, it's likely at one of those places, so probably not an option for an Oregonian.
    They must have gotten another batch somewhere because I checked their online listings just last week and there seem to be 3 - 10 copies available at nearly every store. There aren't any they're willing to ship from their web store, though.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by TommySlick View Post
    i am trying to get the 10 tp for each server, but is the only way to change worlds is to exit the whole game and launch it again? i don't like to do that since i have a bad computer and i don't want to overexert it..
    Yes, that's the only way to jump servers.

I realize this might count as breaking the bank. Get the Mithril Edition!!! You get 2k Turbine points and the path of the fellowship. It's a great deal and the quest packs you get give you enough ways to get tp that it isn't as boring.

Since this thread has already been necro'd and other folks are surely interested in getting TP fast...

If you have one toon high enough to farm the Barrow-downs, then you can get a stack of rep items, mail to a (new) alt, get the 50 TP for becoming kindred with Bree, rinse & repeat. If your main is rich and/or high enough level to farm rep items for other factions, you can get rep items from those other groups and use them too, to save having to re-run the intro yet again. The higher your main's level (or the richer your main is), the faster this method goes.

For some of us, this is worse than doing the starter areas over again - and yes, I've spent my share of time in both the Barrow Downs and the Icereave Mines (two for one stop for Thorin's and Lossoth rep).

It's actually fairly bearable in Annuminas and in some of the goblin camps in Angmar (maybe cos you're outside?), but after the eight hours or so it takes you to get enough items to rep your toons, aaarggghhh.

YMMV, of course, and I do it sometimes anyway - you need Thorin's rep for Moria, etc.

Another nifty alternative is making a yeoman and cooking your way to Mathom House rep. The early tiers are easy to get through, after that plant lots and lots of strawberries and blackberries - the glass bottles for the wine are expensive, though, so a main on the same server with some cash is highly recommended.

what is tha box to escape the first tutrial?

Quote Originally Posted by saruon10001 View Post
    what is tha box to escape the first tutrial?
    it's tough to see (well for me it was)
    but, it's at the bottom ,right of center. I'm pretty sure it only shows up on the creation page

it's depressing when you forget to check that box , wish there was another one to skip the introduction

The "box to skip the tutorial" also only shows up for premium accounts. That means for people who have spend real money on the game and either bought for example the Mithril edition box or Turbine Points.

Also: HOLY NECRO BATMAN!

As that link is now defunct, here´s another still working one: Dirty Deeds

"Re" fastest way to get free turbine points

What i do is i go onto my lvl 60 champ and skrim. I save up my marks ad on alts buy rep items this helps with tp

fastest way:
    Bree, Shire, Ered Luin all deeds
    + lvl char to 40 lvl, do all deeds u can, and then delete
    rinse and repeat

pretty sure the fastest way is to get kindred with a faction by buying clickable rep items on your main. Expensive, but fast. I forget what level you need to be to click the items for like the mathom society, but its not too high, probably 1/2 hour work tops.
    Draegon:
    "stack all the morale you want but dont come on here wonderin why you aint hittin hard! :D"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast