We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hello from Raninia

Hey everyone, nice to meet you all! I’m Raninia, the new producer on Lord of the Rings Online. I’ve been enjoying getting back into the game – after playing it for the first time roughly a decade ago – and have been impressed with the way it looks and plays considering its age. I’m excited to support the team in their efforts to continue making LOTRO awesome.

I have been lucky enough to work in and around games for almost a decade, and I am looking forward to doing what I can for Standing Stone Games. Most recently, I was producer and game director for a mobile game called Archer: Danger Phone, but I've also worked on numerous other games for various platforms over the years as a producer and QA.

I’ve been a long-time MMO player and have a lot of affection for the genre, starting with Runescape and Guild Wars back in the mid-2000s, World of Warcraft in the late-2000s, Guild Wars 2 and LOTRO in the early-2010s, and then basically hopping around those and various other MMOs. There’s nothing quite like playing an MMO these days, and it’s a genre that I’m delighted to have a chance to work in. I firmly believe that MMOs in general, and LOTRO in particular, have a lot of awesome opportunities that’ll keep players engaged for decades to come. Now, it’s my privilege to help make that happen.

While I’m new to the community, I’ve already appreciated the welcome that I’ve been afforded. I’ve heard how excellent the LOTRO community is, and I’m thankful for the well wishes you all have already given me. I hope to repay your kindness by assisting the LOTRO team, and by speaking with you folks on any platform I can.

In the near future, I’m planning to appear on Cordovan’s regular Friday stream and do a Q&A, and to hopefully turn that into a recurring thing – either as part of that stream or as a new one of its own. I’ll also be keeping an eye on our various community platforms, but especially our forums, and maintaining the conversation when my input feels appropriate.

In the meantime, I look forward to continuing to learn more about LOTRO and its many vagaries, and also doing what I can to make what we do better for as many as I can.

See y’all in game!

Welcome, Raninia! Glad to see SSG is able to get some more horsepower under the hood

LOTRO is my first and only MMO - had no intention of playing online games until I enrolled in a Coursera offering titled Online Games: Literature, New Media, and Narrative. The professor uses LOTRO in his course examining how narrative changes as it moves through different media. Am so glad I gave LOTRO a try - been here ever since.

If you ever need a break for some food chat and bad punning, pop into Gladden!

Welcome! Looking forward to the adventures you will bring!

Moon
    Strength & Honor
    140 Classes: Drakonborn (LM), Drakoncap (Capt), Drakonchamp (Champ), Drakonclaw (Beorning), Drakonen (Hunter), Drakonguard (Guard), Drakonsong (Mini), Drakonthorn (Burg), Drakonwar (Warden), Moonrager (RK)

Quote Originally Posted by Raninia View Post
    I’ve heard how excellent the LOTRO community is, and I’m thankful for the well wishes you all have already given me.
    welcome

on an unrelated note... the LOTRO PVMP community is still screaming in acute agony at the lack of basic maintenance over the past decade.... PVMP gear seems to have been entirely forgotten, as is usual for anything PVMP related.
    Last edited by Saruman_Of_Numbers; May 20 2021 at 02:44 PM.
    The Black Appendage of Sauron

Quote Originally Posted by Saruman_Of_Numbers View Post
    welcome

on an unrelated note... the LOTRO PVMP community is still screaming in acute agony at the lack of basic maintenance over the past decade.... PVMP gear seems to have been entirely forgotten, as is usual for anything PVMP related.
    Amen.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like... and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    Riddim
    Naraz

Good to hear from the new Executive Producer, I heard talk about there being a new one. I look forward to seeing you on stream and I hope there'll be more transparency between dev and players.

As Saruman of Numbers said, the PvMP community have been aching for proper work dedicated to the betterment of PvMP, I understand that this is still in the plans and has been pushed back to U31, but perhaps as Executive Producer you'll be able to answer questions and clarify things in the future.
    Leader of the Mitey Worriers (Laurelin)
    Purveyors of premier meats and vegan substitutes since 26/12/17

Welcome back to LOTRO.

You already got one complaint from the pvmp side - two things to consider is how many people actually do that more than very sporadically and whether there is any chance to go to true pvp. The history of pvmp is that the Tolkien Estate vetoed any form of true pvp. Two things have changed since then. Christopher Tolkien no longer speaks for the estate and they may, or may not, be more flexible today. More importantly the game has moved more and more to involve Easterlings and there is no conceivable lore problem if Easterlings become a playable race and are allowed true pvp against the Free Peoples.

Of course there are never ending debates over whether the game is too friendly to raiders at the expense of casuals, or vice versa.

Hey folks, we do have plans to focus more on PvMP this year, and I got a walkthrough of some of that work a few weeks ago. Nothing to announce at this time.

To clarify a separate point - Sev remains the Executive Producer, I'm coming in as support under him. I'll be spending my time exclusively on LOTRO, and am hoping to be reasonably communicative, but I'm sure y'all will tell me how I'm doing there If you'd like to ask me questions directly, I'll be doing a Q&A with Cord during his regular stream tomorrow, I'm hoping to start one of my own up soonish, and might be able to do something on the forums. In the meantime, I'll be reading as much as I can and jumping in where I feel I can be helpful!

Hey folks, we do have plans to focus more on PvMP this year, and I got a walkthrough of some of that work a few weeks ago. Nothing to announce at this time.

To clarify a separate point - Sev remains the Executive Producer, I'm coming in as support under him. I'll be spending my time exclusively on LOTRO, and am hoping to be reasonably communicative, but I'm sure y'all will tell me how I'm doing there If you'd like to ask me questions directly, I'll be doing a Q&A with Cord during his regular stream tomorrow, I'm hoping to start one of my own up soonish, and might be able to do something on the forums. In the meantime, I'll be reading as much as I can and jumping in where I feel I can be helpful!
    Fantastic to hear! Looking forward to the Q&A sessions, it sounds like you'll make good use of them!
    Leader of the Mitey Worriers (Laurelin)
    Purveyors of premier meats and vegan substitutes since 26/12/17

I know you probably don't know it yet, but.... this has been said almost word for word every year since the last major PVMP update almost 7 years ago in 2013

"we do have plans"

"nothing to announce"

I'm almost tempted to dig through every producer letter for the past 5-7 years and quote it all.

Nonetheless, I hope this time is different (hah). A couple months ago the PVMP community organized en-masse with hundreds of players involved in a dying gasp of a community push and the most we got was a half-done numbers boost. A lot of people have since quit.

for more information, check out the Monster Play section of the forums.... and look at the dates on the posts.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdi...8-Monster-play

Quote Originally Posted by Saruman_Of_Numbers View Post
    I know you probably don't know it yet, but.... this has been said almost word for word every year since the last major PVMP update almost 7 years ago in 2013

"we do have plans"

"nothing to announce"

I'm almost tempted to dig through every producer letter for the past 5-7 years and quote it all.

Nonetheless, I hope this time is different (hah). A couple months ago the PVMP community organized en-masse with hundreds of players involved in a dying gasp of a community push and the most we got was a half-done numbers boost. A lot of people have since quit.

for more information, check out the Monster Play section of the forums.... and look at the dates on the posts.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdi...8-Monster-play
    I've been lurking on the forums for a few weeks now, so I'm aware (broadly) of the history, and understand the skepticism around it. Clearly it's something we've not held up our end of the bargain on for a while, and it's something I want to be mindful about as we look at the upcoming stuff. I'm new here, so I certainly don't want to throw away my reputation immediately on stuff that players then won't get! At the very least, I can promise that I'll fight for it internally, and if I lose, I - or Cord - will come out and let you know that's something's changed.

I've been lurking on the forums for a few weeks now, so I'm aware (broadly) of the history, and understand the skepticism around it. Clearly it's something we've not held up our end of the bargain on for a while, and it's something I want to be mindful about as we look at the upcoming stuff. I'm new here, so I certainly don't want to throw away my reputation immediately on stuff that players then won't get! At the very least, I can promise that I'll fight for it internally, and if I lose, I - or Cord - will come out and let you know that's something's changed.
    I appreciate your efforts to communicate and respond to the concerns... and most importantly admit the shortcoming, something which no one at SSG or turbine has done in 7 years. that simple act has probably gained you some major respect points among the PVMPers.

I am cautiously hopeful

A large part of the community views the forums and discussion topics here as a meme, most don't even bother posting here anymore; Especially with GM's themselves even say there's too much "noise" here. There's multiple public discords where real class balance, raid-topic conversations and general ideas are spread. If you want a lasting mark on the community, go to where they are, as they are largely not here.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter4215 View Post
    A large part of the community views the forums and discussion topics here as a meme, most don't even bother posting here anymore; Especially with GM's themselves even say there's too much "noise" here. There's multiple public discords where real class balance, raid-topic conversations and general ideas are spread. If you want a lasting mark on the community, go to where they are, as they are largely not here.
    Might as well close the forums then, and leave it to the few in discords with the Devs why bother revamping or democratizing the discussion when you can do it in the dark xD

Anyways... welcome Raninia and good luck on this journey! Let's hope you can dodge old vices, always a challenge for newcomers to an organization.

Hello and Welcome Raninia, Personally I don't like pvp but it does need to be fixed. Many do however. Look forward to seeing how your going to help fix things. Good Luck May You be Blessed.
    Landroval Yewlin level 140 hunter (7/11/2022), Gwenyan 115, Yewdalin 103. And Many Others
    Thoughts of Blessings for Each of you. Ask God to help you.
    Signup Date 3/31/2009

>A large part of the community views the forums and discussion topics here as a meme, most don't even bother posting here anymore; Especially with GM's themselves even say there's too much "noise" here. There's multiple public discords where real class balance, raid-topic conversations and general ideas are spread. If you want a lasting mark on the community, go to where they are, as they are largely not here.<

Better yet have the discussions here and *not* on Discord, where they will be visible to all of us. These *are* the official forums and quite a few of us far prefer this to Discord for various reasons. If there is too much noise set up subforums for development discussions, moderate them aggressively and boot repeat offenders from participation. That works quite well for games in development and can work just as well here.

Welcome aboard, Raninia!

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 140 - Brandywine | Help sick kids. Support Extra Life 2022: https://www.extra-life.org/participant/belnavar [$1,094.53 raised of $1,000 goal]

Welcome! I'm excited to see a new bluename!

(Oh hey, you're not blue. I assume you will be? Or is there some other criterion for a blue name than being an SSG employee?)
    Anor veteran on Landroval: Ardith and Wensleydale
    Learning to raid on Landroval https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship

if anyone is interested in communicating with many PVMP community organizers from both EU and US, there is a discord for a planned gamewide PVMP 6v6 Tournament, here is the invite link:

https://discord.gg/qZBu98bVy5

Welcome! nice to see new members on the team.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    Welcome! I'm excited to see a new bluename!

(Oh hey, you're not blue. I assume you will be? Or is there some other criterion for a blue name than being an SSG employee?)
    Thanks for calling that out, got it fixed

Welcome!

Great to see new talent being added to the game. Always a welcome sight when SSG hires new faces.

welcome aboard

Welcome

Will we get to see some gameplay if you are planning your own streams? Just easier for us to get measure... not been a high bar since last time you played.

Currently Mastery Cap is 200%, Crit Cap is 25-30% (class dependent) - If you do continue to play.

Welcome Raninia to the great madhouse that is LOTRO I hope you'll feel at home soon here. Quite a few people made you aware of some persisting issues. Just wanted to add that there is a lot of good too and that despite the mistakes/flaws that have happened we still love this game to bits and that if there's frustration it often comes from a place of love for the world/game and for us (as players) wanting it to succeed even more.

To satisfy my curiosity: what class/which classes have you been enjoying so far and what type of content do you like or are you looking forward to?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast