We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The absolute silence surrounding an upcoming paid update.

I'm baffled by the silence from SSG surrounding an update that is supposedly a paid mini-expansion. I only know it's paid because some kinnie watched the stream and heard about it. Why isn't SSG more communicative about this? I get that it's hard to predict an exact release date etc, but at least make an announcement that it's upcoming, that it's paid and what the basic features are that will be presented with it. Don't hide this information in streaming sessions (that are sometimes cancelled at the last moment). It's bad behavior to keep your users in the dark like this...

Were you planning on surprising us with an update and then say "100 bucks please"?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueXiphoid View Post
    I'm baffled by the silence from SSG surrounding an update that is supposedly a paid mini-expansion. I only know it's paid because some kinnie watched the stream and heard about it. Why isn't SSG more communicative about this? I get that it's hard to predict an exact release date etc, but at least make an announcement that it's upcoming, that it's paid and what the basic features are that will be presented with it. Don't hide this information in streaming sessions (that are sometimes cancelled at the last moment). It's bad behavior to keep your users in the dark like this...

Were you planning on surprising us with an update and then say "100 bucks please"?
    They already say many times what this expansion set don't have pre-order, so we find out every details about all 3 offers (20$, 50$ and 100$) only in release date

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    They already say many times what this expansion set don't have pre-order, so we find out every details about all 3 offers (20$, 50$ and 100$) only in release date
    Where and when? No words on Twitter (which is ridiculous that they communicate those things there, when they have a game-client and website to communicate things like that...). Nada official announcements on either the website or the forum.

They have replied zero times that I can find about people's complaints about the VIP exclusion, most people finding the concept of it being a "mini-expansion pack" to be untrue. They haven't posted any news or evidence of missions becoming anything exciting or fun yet. Is it really just "we saw your complaints and you may buy the pigs if you choose" now?

Do we even have war-pigs confirmed yet? Or are these seriously just reskinned mounts for walking around Bree? Do they fight differently in mounted combat? All very pressing things that could impact how we play the game or if we want to buy the...mini..expansion pack.

Where and when? No words on Twitter (which is ridiculous that they communicate those things there, when they have a game-client and website to communicate things like that...). Nada official announcements on either the website or the forum.
    Recent months clearly show up what they don't like posting on forum. It was said almost in every Cord of the Rings since september announce.

Quote Originally Posted by Esgalad View Post
    They have replied zero times that I can find about people's complaints about the VIP exclusion, most people finding the concept of it being a "mini-expansion pack" to be untrue. They haven't posted any news or evidence of missions becoming anything exciting or fun yet. Is it really just "we saw your complaints and you may buy the pigs if you choose" now?

Do we even have war-pigs confirmed yet? Or are these seriously just reskinned mounts for walking around Bree? Do they fight differently in mounted combat? All very pressing things that could impact how we play the game or if we want to buy the...mini..expansion pack.
    Nothing about revamp rewards for them, and war pigs never mentioned as used in combat. Looks like just another type of mount skin like Elk.

Has there been anything in the past 2 years from SSG that would make you think you're going to get transparency on this kind of release? And when it is released and you pay for it are you going to expect it to work properly? To mesh with older content? To perhaps not worsen the interminable grind or not offer a pay-for work around?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythreindeer View Post
    Has there been anything in the past 2 years from SSG that would make you think you're going to get transparency on this kind of release?

NO!

See today : will there be a downtime or not?
    There's no annoucement for it anywhere, even on the servers there are none.

Quote Originally Posted by Esgalad View Post
    They've said there are Boar mounts. Not War-pigs.

A little digging by people on Bullroarer has shown there to be two versions, which seem to only be available with the two more expensive versions of the mini-expansion. You can see them here - https://twitter.com/MinstrelbyNight/...13137944072194

While I am one of those who tries to be always present for the livestream (or watch it later), I share your feelings. The forums are the official venue, yet people who only come here for info tend to be the last to know. It can be frustrating, but most of the info you'll find on the update outside of the official livestream comes from players who, like me, have been in Bullroarer.

So yea, it's easy to make mistakes, we always find new stuff that may or may not come with the next update/expansion (RE: weapon auras; training warg, to name a couple). Is it official that you're getting Boars only if you pay for the Ultimate pack? Well, we don't have SSG's word, but we do have Bullroarer proof. And while that is "always subject to change upon hitting live", experience has shown us that it rarely does in any major way.
    Last edited by Laurelinarien; Oct 14 2020 at 09:23 AM. Reason: typo

I was originally excited to be playing during an expansion release. I've never been around for the hype and release of a LOTRO expansion before and was looking forward to it.
    Now, though, after weeks of silence from SSG and seeming indifference over their own expansion I'm now feeling exactly the opposite :-(

Indeed, the anti-communication is the most disheartening thing as a fan and nonstop player/subscriber since 2007.

And as someone who watches a ton of Twitch streams, I cannot stand how dull and joyless Cord's streams are. And I don't have any criticisms for him personally, I fully believe that he's been just making the best of a terrible situation the past few years, it just is what it is.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Message moondog548 here, on Steam, Twitch, and Discord as moondog548#6830
    Moondog on Landroval, Isilroa on Anor, Reckless on Bombadil

We intend to unveil the details of War of Three Peaks packages when those packages are available to purchase. That will happen on the day of release.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

is there a date when the update goes online

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We intend to unveil the details of War of Three Peaks packages when those packages are available to purchase. That will happen on the day of release.
    Well, if you guys are gonna do that, then don't release an announcement with the only information being the price range and staying quiet after that. You guys know that the players are going to be curious.
    "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your children when you wanted to."

This honestly confounds me.

You release the three different price ranges. Then you tell VIPs that this won't be free for them...it will be a "mini-expansion" (that they for the first time ever will have to pay for)

Both of these statements (you must have known) caused huge numbers of questions and concerns.

And then no other info until the actual day it can be bought?

It just seems like SSG is once again needlessly frustrating their customers to a fever pitch. This is NOT how to get players excited about any new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    This honestly confounds me.

You release the three different price ranges. Then you tell VIPs that this won't be free for them...it will be a "mini-expansion" (that they for the first time ever will have to pay for)

Both of these statements (you must have known) caused huge numbers of questions and concerns.

And then no other info until the actual day it can be bought?

It just seems like SSG is once again needlessly frustrating their customers to a fever pitch. This is NOT how to get players excited about any new content.
    I don't need the details. I've already decided, that if I buy it, it will be the base pack, though, whether I buy at all or wait it out for points will depend on another BR round (if we get one) on how those "missions" (the new type of content that supposedly makes this update different to a normal quest pack) play out. Last I tried them, they were nothing new, and really buggy.

As for the base pack price, it's quite low, so I'm gathering it's very much content only. There is a fair bit of content involved for a $20 tag, and it's cheaper than a sub, so they can have that, instead of a sub.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Why? What is the harm of telling us early? Also, when is this slated to be released? Next week maybe? Or is there going to be another round of beta?

From what I understand, it looks like this: We communicate with people who working on creating content: Cordovan, MoL, Scenario, Vastin and some other developers. They don't care much about when package appears, or how it costs. Or what can be inside of that packages. They don't know it or can't tell us until they get order to give us info. Someone else who working for marketing in SSG give them info when he or she decide to give them info. So they just messangers. Don't shoot the messanger if you don't like that message.

From what I understand, it looks like this: We communicate with people who working on creating content: Cordovan, MoL, Scenario, Vastin and some other developers. They don't care much about when package appears, or how it costs. Or what can be inside of that packages. They don't know it or can't tell us until they get order to give us info. Someone else who working for marketing in SSG give them info when he or she decide to give them info. So they just messangers. Don't shoot the messanger if you don't like that message.
    This is pretty much it, I'm afraid.

The message I have gotten loud and clear is that SSG Ownership and Management are (from a customer's perspective, certainly) AWFUL. The passionate, talented, and committed developers are getting FED UP with trying to deal with and cover for the management and business failures that they cannot control.

I think that we got the Bullroarer preview of the paid content in a form of psuedo-protest.

That said, it is part of Cordovan's unenviable job to in fact deal with the community whether we're happy or not.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Message moondog548 here, on Steam, Twitch, and Discord as moondog548#6830
    Moondog on Landroval, Isilroa on Anor, Reckless on Bombadil

From what I understand, it looks like this: We communicate with people who working on creating content: Cordovan
    Cordovan isn't a developer. He is a community manager. A couple google search definitions of a community manager:

Community Manager responsibilities include: Setting and implementing social media and communication campaigns to align with marketing strategies. Providing engaging text, image and video content for social media accounts. Responding to comments and customer queries in a timely manner.

The role of a community manager is to act as the bridge between a brand and the community it is aiming to create (i.e. a loyal audience or group of core consumers connected by a similar interest). They should be the brand's ambassador, engaging with potential customers and building relationships with existing ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes2007 View Post
    Why? What is the harm of telling us early? Also, when is this slated to be released? Next week maybe? Or is there going to be another round of beta?
    The harm is that people will see how little value there is in the mini-expansion and then circulate this information on world chat, encouraging others not to buy it too. As there’s a level of ambiguity about what is on offer, SSG are presumably hoping people buy it without really considering what is on offer, as the hope remains that there will actually be something of value with this ‘mini-expansion’ which properly justifies that label. It feels like a pretty desperate tactic to try to avoid the need to justify the change in pay strategy until after some people have bought it on impulse.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes2007 View Post
    Cordovan isn't a developer. He is a community manager. A couple google search definitions of a community manager:

Community Manager responsibilities include: Setting and implementing social media and communication campaigns to align with marketing strategies. Providing engaging text, image and video content for social media accounts. Responding to comments and customer queries in a timely manner.

The role of a community manager is to act as the bridge between a brand and the community it is aiming to create (i.e. a loyal audience or group of core consumers connected by a similar interest). They should be the brand's ambassador, engaging with potential customers and building relationships with existing ones.
    I know that. I use term of "developer" for everyone blue name member of SSG on forum who communicate with players.

I know that. I use term of "developer" for everyone blue name member of SSG on forum who communicate with players.
    Well, that's incorrect. Not to be forum police but it perpetuates a common misconception, and it's really not fair to cordovan either.

The silence is obviously a deliberate strategy, the question is how do they think they will benefit from this method?

The best I can figure is they're hoping that completionists who always want the highest tier of everything will also feel pressured by the rush to complete the newest content, so they'll spend less time evaluating the offerings and just pay the extra.

It's also possible the planned offerings will be just as mini as the expansion, so they're hoping ensuing discussion about the actual game content will undercut that disappointment. Either way I think it's pretty clear they want to limit discussion of the packages' relative value, which suits their current stance on engaging customers (which is to say, not).

It all reeks of some corporate marketing bozo trying to apply principles they learned in school or another industry to this situation. Sad stuff.

If it's a deliberate strategy, it's a risky one.

For me, I was excited when it was first announced and keen for info and yes, potentially prepared to stump up for the ultimate fan package.
    Their approach has turned me from that into being completely "meh" about it, and I'm now gearing up instead to give the new WoW expansion a look which I had no intention of doing beforehand.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast