We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Free period is ending ... now what?

I read this in Hepburz’s transcript of Cord’s live stream, and was intrigued:

Question: What are we going to do about all our recent ‘free-stuff’ (in reference to the current free-content promotion in relation to the COVID-19 health crisis)?

+Cord: A question that we too have been asking ourselves, I don’t have anything to announce today, sorry. We would love to be in a position to make an announcement as well, but I do think that you can expect some news in the near future regarding what we intend to do about our free period which has been a clear success for both us and for the community.
    Does this mean a further extension? An end to the free time? Or changes in how the normal system works and what is/isn’t free? If it has been a “clear success”, does this mean the game had actually made more money than usual, or are we just talking player numbers? Will SSG take this success and do something differently as a result? If more things come free, what about players who have already bought it all? Am I reading too much into this, and will things just go back to business as usual? I’m just really interested in everyone’s thoughts on this topic, whatever they may be.

Please discuss...

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Sources say they are making changes in the way quest pack access is acquired. These are currently just rumors, but well founded.

From the perspective of someone who has already unlocked everything I can say that I don't mind this. I've already got my money's worth in terms of quest pack and expansion prices, so I wouldn't expect any compensation.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    Sources say they are making changes in the way quest pack access is acquired. These are currently just rumors, but well founded.

From the perspective of someone who has already unlocked everything I can say that I don't mind this. I've already got my money's worth in terms of quest pack and expansion prices, so I wouldn't expect any compensation.
    This was my suspicion too - that something might change in this regard, like making Eriador free, or including older expansions in the VIP subscription. Personally I’m not too bothered about getting compensation either, but I know that the question normally comes up so thought I’d throw it into the mix.

Can you elaborate more on what your “sources” have said?

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Can you elaborate more on what your “sources” have said?
    More areas of Eriador will be free. Expansions will still be paid but there will be no individual quest packs after L50, because expansions will include them. Example: you buy Moria and you also get Lothlorien, you buy Riders of Rohan and Wildermore will come with it.

More areas of Eriador will be free. Expansions will still be paid but there will be no individual quest packs after L50, because expansions will include them. Example: you buy Moria and you also get Lothlorien, you buy Riders of Rohan and Wildermore will come with it.
    This is an interesting idea, and makes sense. I wonder though, what impact this would have on the VIP sub. If VIPs still need to buy expansions to get these quest packs, or if VIP will start including those too? It certainly would make things simpler, if you had two options:

1. Buy the expansions and get the quest packs too
    2. Buy VIP and get both as long as your sub is going

That would make explaining the whole system to new players so much easier, rather than saying “you can sub but you still have to pay for this” and then trying to work out what’s included and what isn’t.
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; May 26 2020 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    This is an interesting idea, and makes sense. I wonder though, what impact this would have on the VIP sub. If VIPs still need to buy expansions to get these quest packs, or if VIP will start including those too? It certainly would make things simpler, if you had two options:

1. Buy the expansions and get the quest packs too
    2. Buy VIP and get both as long as your sub is going

That would make explaining the whole system to new players so much easier, rather than saying “you can sub but you still have to pay for this” and then trying to work out what’s included and what isn’t.
    I agree. Generally speaking, I think they are trying to move towards p2p. This is what the legendary servers are for, what the new PvP server is for, what the hardcore legendary is for. So they are trying to make it easier to get into the game by having to pay less. And once you're in the game and somewhat invested, they are trying to convert you to p2p.

Sounds good. There is one thing that is still missing though, which is to get a new concept to decide what is mandatory content and catch-up and what isn't. How can we make sure that players play and enjoy old quest packs without adding dependencies that force them to play most of them. Desired instead of required.

I think this is great. The game is 13 years old and there's really such a huge barrier of entry.

Approx. a year ago I told them that the pre-order and collector's edition of new expansions should include all previous expansions. I still think it's a great idea.

I agree. Generally speaking, I think they are trying to move towards p2p.
    If at the same time they move away from p2w I'd support that.
    I'd prefer to pay what's needed to support the game to being pushed towards the store constantly

Having new quest packs be part of the previous expansion suggests that they won't be able to be purchased separately for LP. Rather like the move that included raid and instance cluster content in expansions that many had no intention of playing.

It's concerning forking out cash for "beta" expansions when all the BR feedback is "hold off on release". Is this not taking any chance of a value judgement out of our hands? Of course it really depends on the cost. Will it be the same $40 or later 2400LP base price or an increase for additional areas? What value is VIP then?

An update to the model is long over due. It hasn't changed since it first went F2P.

SoA should be free and the expansions up to the most recent should be reduced in price or at least consolidated. Or maybe even design an alternative non-linear leveling path so new players can chose which expansions they want. I find it really hard to believe that the sheer amount of expansions at their current prices makes SSG more money than more people buying cheaper expansions

Quote Originally Posted by Daenirion View Post
    I think this is great. The game is 13 years old and there's really such a huge barrier of entry.

Approx. a year ago I told them that the pre-order and collector's edition of new expansions should include all previous expansions. I still think it's a great idea.
    Same here, I think it's an awesome idea.

I've just noticed that Peon recently came out with a first impression on DDO. The irony is that I played every MMO you can think of, and spent some amount of money in it, but I never even considered touching DDO. Why? Because knowing what we know about LOTRO, how much can that game possibly cost? I can't imagine. And it's 14 years old or something. It's quite laughable when people playing a game from a developer has to consciously avoid other games from this same developer because the monetization is just out of this world.

I actually came back because it seemed like this company was trying to offer a bit more content for what you pay. I came back as a VIP as I have no issue paying for content but after seeing the cost of all the expansions on top of VIP , the fact you have to buy something to stop out leveling content. You have to buy virtues and trait skill unlocks for anyone making a new character I already cancelled my VIP and am moving on yet again. This company is a joke to anyone outside of this forum or subreddit. Its a great old school mmorpg though especially when the market is full of action combat clones and lazy development with limited content. This game could easily be much more profitable if they dropped the store nickle and dime and cost of old out dated expansions. I own the moria expansion and thats all I'll ever own because of all the nickle and dime they do here. I honestly hope amazon learns their lessons from new world and makes their lotr game great. This company sure did a lot of good things with this game only to screw it up totally with how expensive and pay for not grinding for months it is.

Update is up. Very very generous SSG. Well done.

https://lotro.com/en/friendsforever

here is your answer. Thank you everyone for your support.

Looks like a good answer there, SSG.

Quote Originally Posted by SSG_RedPanda View Post
    https://lotro.com/en/friendsforever

here is your answer. Thank you everyone for your support.
    Yea, good answer. I'm glad people get to keep enjoying the free content (and I do hope they appreciate it) but I'm also happy as a VIP

"we will be providing a Coupon Code that will let you acquire all currently-available quest packs permanently on your account(s)!"

"we will be conducting a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the LOTRO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points: <lots of quest packs>"

It would seem that one of these is superfluous.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurelinarien View Post
    Yea, good answer. I'm glad people get to keep enjoying the free content (and I do hope they appreciate it) but I'm also happy as a VIP
    Agreed. This is the right move.
    Aldowine (Captain), Aldosi (Guardian), Aldoik (Champion), Aldocome (Burglar), Aldobeorn (Bear), Aldomur (RK) - Arkenstone
    Kin Leader, Athelas & Tonic - https://www.athelasandtonic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gcpate View Post
    "we will be providing a Coupon Code that will let you acquire all currently-available quest packs permanently on your account(s)!"

"we will be conducting a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the LOTRO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points: <lots of quest packs>"

Think you're confusing Expansions and Quest Packs ...
    Aldowine (Captain), Aldosi (Guardian), Aldoik (Champion), Aldocome (Burglar), Aldobeorn (Bear), Aldomur (RK) - Arkenstone
    Kin Leader, Athelas & Tonic - https://www.athelasandtonic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gcpate View Post

To clarify, the coupon code includes the quests that are not considered part of an expansion pack quest content.

That's why there is a difference there. So the coupon code will grant you quest zones like Evendim, Eriador, the Gondor regions, but not for example Isengard, Moria, Rohan, etc. Hope that helps.

To clarify, the coupon code includes the quests that are not considered part of an expansion pack quest content.

That's why there is a difference there. So the coupon code will grant you quest zones like Evendim, Eriador, the Gondor regions, but not for example Isengard, Moria, Rohan, etc. Hope that helps.
    Can we redeem the coupon while being VIP (as long as we do it before Aug. 31 I mean)?

so we are going for 3 more months of lags if i understand correctly

Can those of us who are temporarily VIP redeem it?
    Landroval

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast