We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vastin View Post
    One of the reasons we're doing this as a limited time server is that it's quite experimental for us, so we want to explore what sorts of issues and opportunities arise in an open-world lotro pvp environment without committing everyone to a long haul.

If it is reasonably successful we'll be looking at running it again with more resources and updates to help develop the pvp environment, possibly in longer formats as well, but for now we just want to treat it as a special event.

-Vastin
    Whilst I can appreciate that this server is currently at the forefront of the Dev's team plans/time, can I ask what is the situation regarding class balance currently? There are some extreme issues surrounding the changes you made to RK, as well as multiple issues surrounding tanks whereby they are not on par with one another at all, is this something that we can expect to be looked at in the near future?

In regards to the server itself, there really should be some kind of mechanic in place that prevents high-levels from killing low-levels, because this will just result in those getting to high-levels / 50 first, farming low-levels... Perhaps you should receive less-honour or some kind of penalty for killing players who are substantially below your level?

As regards a couple other points from list above, we're going to try out a global stealth detection bonus for the time being, as stealth always a very powerful effect in open world PVP scenarios and a bit of a counterbalance seems in order, and it's something I was definitely already considering.

I don't think there's much I can do about the rez effect kicking off the protection effect for now, as I had to tie that rather deeply into the entire recovery mechanic to get it to work reliably. I think healers will simply have to deal with the idea that a rezzed target will remain effectively out of the fight for 60 seconds.

-Vastin

@Vastin
    Is it normal for players to run around with 150k morale at level 50? Kind of hard to beta test as they are exploiting this.... This bug needs to be resolved on the beta server. How can we test balance if this exploit is possible? Are you even aware of this lol?

It seems like many players are using it, but faking it. 30k morale at level 50 shouldn't be possible either, which many players currently have.

Last edited by LotroVidz; May 27 2020 at 06:51 PM.

As regards a couple other points from list above, we're going to try out a global stealth detection bonus for the time being, as stealth always a very powerful effect in open world PVP scenarios and a bit of a counterbalance seems in order, and it's something I was definitely already considering.

I don't think there's much I can do about the rez effect kicking off the protection effect for now, as I had to tie that rather deeply into the entire recovery mechanic to get it to work reliably. I think healers will simply have to deal with the idea that a rezzed target will remain effectively out of the fight for 60 seconds.

-Vastin
    The stealth detection buff is definitely a good idea. The combat rezz situation is obviously not ideal, but hopefully you'll be able to find a better solution next time around.

I feel like the outgoing damage/healing debuff should stay active in instances. They're too easy. I don't have reliable numbers yet, but I think the 30% might not be enough at level 50. Could be fine at launch, but once people start gearing at lvl 50, it should be increased.
    Last edited by Daenirion; May 27 2020 at 06:52 PM.

haha I had enough of this beta =P Burglar with 26k morale, guardians with 30k morale, beornings with 140k morale etc etc...

You can't even for this beta make sure players are actually on fair grounds, what is going on lol? I understand things wont be balanced, but i DID NOT expect the actual test server to be so broken that player can acquire gear that is way beyond their own level.. 90% are anonymous so don't know what gear they are using... Also, your /bug doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by LotroVidz View Post
    haha I had enough of this beta =P Burglar with 26k morale, guardians with 30k morale, beornings with 140k morale etc etc...

You can't even for this beta make sure players are actually on fair grounds, what is going on lol? I understand things wont be balanced, but i DID NOT expect the actual test server to be so broken that player can acquire gear that is way beyond their own level.. 90% are anonymous so don't know what gear they are using... Also, your /bug doesn't work.
    +1. Remove anonymous on PVP server to enforce fair play. Remove players like that beorning and others who bug their stats from Bullroarer.

Here is 1 of the items being used by level 50 players on Bullroarer...

So those items among with LI's, you know that you can acquire the LI from Moria epic right? Do you want us to test balance with LI's that are not even going to be there on live version?

This is why you should do it like Blizzard does when they beta test their game, they only enable vendors that is relevant or needed for the testing phase..

In wow they prepare a character for you that you can test, that way Blizzard themselves KNOW what gear the players are using.. Now it's all clear why the balance is so messed up, when you run beta tests and listen to player feedback regarding balancing you have no idea what gear the players are using lol.

Like for this test, you should only enable virtues,leveling,and Armour vendor inside VG.. Or add a vendor that has the specific gear you want us to test with and remove all other vendors. That way, we can actually see what the balance truly is like.

There has literally been NO legit PVP fight today, since we don't know who is cheating.

Maybe you should run a beta for the bullroarer server alone next time?
    Last edited by LotroVidz; May 27 2020 at 07:54 PM.

The "cheesers" as I call them (the people using E&G inn gear to get insane stats/trait points/etc) are really ruining the beta testing.

Difficult to get a good feel for the balance when almost everyone feels the need to 1-shot gank in the arms race of insane stats/impossible-to-get gearing.

I agree with the others on the -outgoing damage and -healing being good changes, I think it should be even more powerful debuff (from -30% up to -50%) and be effective in instances. ATM 12 man instances like Rift are literally 2-3 mannable.
    The Black Appendage of Sauron

Solid feedback, thanks for your attention and effort there!

Time and/or technical restraints won't let us get to several of these, but we'll get ones we can hit for now in the short term and think about how we'll tackle some of the more complex issues for a future iteration of the server event.

-Vastin
    What a farce.

1. If someone wants to play a trait tree that hasn't been touched in years, e.g. yellow hunter/warden, blue champ, blue LM etc. you tell them what: "Good luck and enjoy your time on a PvP server"?
    2. If you can't even keep the live server running stable how do you think you can keep 1 time-limited event server stable?
    3. How can you opt for a PvP server with the known issues of skill/induction delay, frame lags etc. which just gets worse the more people are playing?
    4. How should EU players enjoy a PvP server when they're forced to play on US servers and thus have a higher ping?
    5. What prevents people from just opting for items which the maximum amount of essence slots to then go the "stack VIT and damage essences" route?
    6. What's the stance about doing Moria intro + fully maxing out the LI using the shop?
    7. What about multi-boxing? Running several burgs, yellow RKs or hunters does sound like a good way to gamble the system.
    8. What about win-trading? Group A kills group B, after that B rezzes, goes back and kills A.
    9. What about damage/-inc damage/health/power buffs from perks or the shop?
    10. Is there some sort of penalty for a high-level player to kill a low-level one in terms of reputation/ranks?
    11. Why do you think yourselves capable of doing a PvP server when you haven't touched PvMP in years?

As usual you haven't thought this through in the slightest.

Edit: instead of fixing, using and cultivating all of the current throw-away features like PvMP, skirms, mounted combat, featured instance etc. you yet again opt for another throw-away one.
    The most prominent one being the LS servers in recent history.
    Last edited by Tiyafar; May 28 2020 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiyafar View Post
    What a farce.

1. If someone wants to play a trait tree that hasn't been touched in years, e.g. yellow hunter/warden, blue champ, blue LM etc. you tell them what: "Good luck and enjoy your time on a PvP server"?
    2. If you can't even keep the live server running stable how do you think you can keep 1 time-limited event server stable?
    3. How can you opt for a PvP server with the known issues of skill/induction delay, frame lags etc. which just gets worse the more people are playing?
    4. How should EU players enjoy a PvP server when they're forced to play on US servers and thus have a higher ping?
    5. What prevents people from just opting for items which the maximum amount of essence slots to then go the "stack VIT and damage essences" route?
    6. What's the stance about doing Moria intro + fully maxing out the LI using the shop?
    7. What about multi-boxing? Running several burgs, yellow RKs or hunters does sound like a good way to gamble the system.
    8. What about win-trading? Group A kills group B, after that B rezzes, goes back and kills A.
    9. What about damage/-inc damage/health/power buffs from perks or the shop?
    10. Is there some sort of penalty for a high-level player to kill a low-level one in terms of reputation/ranks?
    11. Why do you think yourselves capable of doing a PvP server when you haven't touched PvMP in years?

As usual you haven't thought this through in the slightest.

Edit: instead of fixing, using and cultivating all of the current throw-away features like PvMP, skirms, mounted combat, featured instance etc. you yet again opt for another throw-away one.
    The most prominent one being the LS servers in recent history.

lol Unbelievable.

Once again...you just can't make this stuff up.

Dear SSG, Many of your long-suffering customers will be waiting over on the regular, old, boring, normal, servers (at least that must be how you view them, since you keep pumping out "NEW EXCITING" ones)...just in case you decide to actually work on some of the numerous problems still remaining there...once this latest gimmick blows up...again.

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    lol Unbelievable.

Once again...you just can't make this stuff up.

Dear SSG, Many of your long-suffering customers will be waiting over on the regular, old, boring, normal, servers (at least that must be how you view them, since you keep pumping out "NEW EXCITING" ones)...just in case you decide to actually work on some of the numerous problems still remaining there...once this latest gimmick blows up...again.
    Dont be so negative towards this. This server could be a lot of fun. Some damage needs to be toned down and it will be really good pvp. Today they fixed tavern so none had op gear and lis and balance was hugely improved. There is good pvp going on now, and I see a lot of potential here. This could definitely be the future of lotros pvp.

All they need to do now is to nerf level 50 gear and it's good to go.

Dont be so negative towards this. This server could be a lot of fun. Some damage needs to be toned down and it will be really good pvp. Today they fixed tavern so none had op gear and lis and balance was hugely improved. There is good pvp going on now, and I see a lot of potential here. This could definitely be the future of lotros pvp.

Yep, this beorning have a lot of fun when full raid with 50 level players can't kill him.

finally some decent testing now that the cheesy 140k beorns are out of the picture.

Damage is still too high, even with the -30% reductions. Reductions need to be between -50% and -70% for dps/hps to get close to reasonable...people without full defensive builds are still getting 1-shot or very close to 1-shot.... that should never happen barring a coordinated attack by 3 or more dps classes.

Otherwise, balance overall seems decent in the sense that every class has at least one useful line/role to play... burglars are still undoubtedly over-the-top though... the stealth detection boost doesn't really help much against them, because by the time you see them they're already on top of you.. the detection either needs to be boosted even more or stealth needs to become temporary like warden careful-step. If something isn't done about the burg situation, they will be grossly over-represented.

The boundry between the safe zone and PVP-enabled spaced is very buggy... you have to re-summon pets when you cross the boundry or else they go yellow-bar and refuse to obey you, and marks like blade brother/shield brother/song brother have to be re-applied to pets and allies alike.... sometimes when you leave a safe zone it bugs out and takes a couple minutes or more for you to be attackable/able to attack.

On the note of safe zones: there's entirely too much hugging of them, which could lead to "stare-offs" where the stronger side sits outside the safe zone and the weaker side sits within... the stronger side can sent in scouts into the safe zone to keep tabs on the opposition. There are no gradients of safety, only the weird flexi-border thing where you are either safe or not safe depending on what the server feels like at that moment. There should be fewer safe zones or this kind of stare-off weirdness will become an epidemic.

Did you miss the point of our posts on purpose?

The normal servers, especially Evernight, go up in flames each evening when the majority of people log on with the usual long-known issues of rubberbanding, skill/induction delays, teleporting mobs, login issues etc.
    Now SSG is creating a new server, as far as I can tell 1, so everyone is crowed on this single server and all those long-known issues are now suddenly gone over night?

And on the "this could be fun" part:
    - Class reworks aren't even half done, what has been done is half-assed at best. Imagine wanting to play a blue LM, blue champ, yellow hunter, yellow warden etc. and realizing that you clearly picked the wrong trait tree as SSG couldn't be bothered to work on the reworks, but then for some strange reason opting for a freep vs. freep PvP server
    - My PvP-knowledge in Lotro is 0, but:
    1. The PvMP-focused PvP-balancing can't be suddenly turned 180° in a matter of weeks for this freep vs. freep PvP.
    2. SSG already has to resort to dirty hacks to increase stealth detection to not make burg the best PvP class by default.
    3. With the amount of damage available every DoT-build seems to lose by default when e.g. a burg or yellow RK can burst with ease.
    4. Yellow Beorning will be one of the strongest, if not the strongest class, as despite being a heal spec you can still deal a lot of damage.
    5. What about CC-reduction in freep vs. freep, otherwise burg and LM will reign supreme.
    6. This whole thing seems to be blob vs. blob or blob vs. solo player, and certainly not solo player vs. solo player
    7. Is there a penalty in place to prevent people just doing a 24-man raid group and hunting for solo player/small groups to farm them?

The more I read the more questions I have, but this is SSG: they never cared about quality, coherence or integrity in the first place.

I will be on that server, if it isn't locked behind VIP, just to see what kind of broken systems SSG cooked up next.
    Last edited by Tiyafar; May 29 2020 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saruman_Of_Numbers View Post

Damage is still too high, even with the -30% reductions. Reductions need to be between -50% and -70% for dps/hps to get close to reasonable...people without full defensive builds are still getting 1-shot or very close to 1-shot.... that should never happen barring a coordinated attack by 3 or more dps classes.
    Agreed. There are some very hard hitting skills. I don't see landscape difficulty being an issue even with more than -50% outgoing damage/healing. And if someone struggles with signature or elite mobs, they can easily ask for help or group up. This is an MMORPG after all, not some solo adventure. Since this is marketed as a PvP server, the people who would usually struggle on landscape won't be interested in playing on this server in the first place.

Otherwise, balance overall seems decent in the sense that every class has at least one useful line/role to play... burglars are still undoubtedly over-the-top though... the stealth detection boost doesn't really help much against them, because by the time you see them they're already on top of you.. the detection either needs to be boosted even more or stealth needs to become temporary like warden careful-step. If something isn't done about the burg situation, they will be grossly over-represented.
    True

On the note of safe zones: there's entirely too much hugging of them, which could lead to "stare-offs" where the stronger side sits outside the safe zone and the weaker side sits within... the stronger side can sent in scouts into the safe zone to keep tabs on the opposition. There are no gradients of safety, only the weird flexi-border thing where you are either safe or not safe depending on what the server feels like at that moment. There should be fewer safe zones or this kind of stare-off weirdness will become an epidemic.
    Every region in Eriador has one safe zone in a major hub now. I think that's fine, because it might be too frustrating for people if they get totally steamrolled over and over again and you just can't get safely to Bree or Gondamon. Obviously there's a risk of having these stare-offs, but honestly, there is no ranking system, no war tab to track your k/d to feed your virtual ego. You don't lose anything if you die. It's PvP and we're here to have fun, so if someone still feels the need to hug the safe zone, then I just don't know what to say. Then maybe player mentality is more of an issue than I thought.
    Last edited by Daenirion; May 29 2020 at 11:45 AM.

Please NERF these gear sets and most gear in general from level 1-50, these are more powerful than the actual Rift set which should not be the case!
    1. Tone down on these powerful gearsets and weapons, they are the main reason we do this insane damage at level 50.
    2. Gear that is hard to earn, Rift set and dungeon drops SHOULD be more powerful than crafted gear or quest gear.
    3. Instead of buffing raid gear/instance gear, nerf this crafted gear.. We can't have more OP gear so making raid/instance gear stronger is the wrong way to go.
    4. Make the Helegrod gear drop inside the raid, and remove the cheesy skirmish vendors in Rivendell! This gear should be something to work for as well, not just go to rivendell and insta barter! This NEEDS to be fixed. If you can't fix this, just remove the vendors from Rivendell. Raid gear should come from the raid, and not from doing random dungeons to get marks then barter for raid gear.

As you can clearly see SSG, our characters are way too powerful, so instead of focusing on this debuff, get to the roots of the issue. This breaks endgame and balance so just fix it please.

Non-raid gear:
    Last edited by LotroVidz; May 29 2020 at 07:50 AM.

Did some landscape/instance testing with the -30% damage/healing debuff active on a level 20 RK, because they're usually quite squishy. The level 20 gear from the Tavern is obviously stronger than the gear people will have on Live, but not by such a huge margin that would make the test inconclusive.

Spec: Yellow
    Gear: Level 20 RK Jewellery/Weapon and Level 20 Light Armour Set
    Virtues: None slotted (Though I ranked up a few so I had a quite insignifcant stat bonus)
    Not a single external buff active (store bought or food)
    9 Trait Points spent

What was tested? Southern Barrow-downs landscape mobs (level 20/21) and The Maze instance on level 20.

Stats:

Results: Could comfortably pull together 6+ mobs while kiting and CCing and always keeping Prelude to Hope active on myself. That's how I would usually play. Then I decided to just face-tank several mobs. The damage was laughable.
    Then I tried to solo The Maze T1 (A 6 MAN INSTANCE) on level. Could easily pull trash packs without even being close to dying. Killed the first Elite (Barrow-wight Caller) while face-tanking all his summons (2x Grim Tomb-wight, 2x Giant Barrow-crawler) and chilling in the puddle left behind by Bloated Barrow-crawlers. Then I decided that I've seen enough. Didn't even have to bring morale potions.

Conclusion: The outgoing damage/healing buff could be easily increased and it should definitely stay active in Instances!
    Last edited by Daenirion; May 29 2020 at 07:59 AM.

- Class reworks aren't even half done, what has been done is half-assed at best. Imagine wanting to play a blue LM, blue champ, yellow hunter, yellow warden etc. and realizing that you clearly picked the wrong trait tree
    I don't see why all trait trees should be made PVP-viable. You choose a tree based on your situation, not your personal preference. Wandering into PVP with a tree that doesn't suit the situation means the player needs to change their tree, not that the game has to change to suit the player. There's no support for Champs who want to wear Light Armour and stack Tactical Mastery, or Minstrels who run around naked, but that is the fault of the player, not the game.

The other stuff seems valid but also, isn't that a PVP server? I rarely play PVP versions of games because it just seems to be a frustrating circle of leaving the newbie zone and getting murdered every 3 seconds, so you can't level, can't quest and can't enjoy the game at all. If the problem of 'what do I do if stronger players keep killing me?' hasn't been solved in a decade and people still enjoy this style of play, what's the difference between LOTRO's PVP implementation and other games'?
    'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'

[evernight] lilka : warden | gwenaëlle : champion | elorie : minstrel | cedar : hunter

The normal servers, especially Evernight, go up in flames each evening when the majority of people log on with the usual long-known issues of rubberbanding, skill/induction delays, teleporting mobs, login issues etc.
    Now SSG is creating a new server, as far as I can tell 1, so everyone is crowed on this single server and all those long-known issues are now suddenly gone over night?
    I remember when LS was released in 2018, the server was full and with queues but NO LAG. This is a completely new server which have much less data than for example Evernight, lag wont be as bad if its the same case as LS release in 2018.

- Class reworks aren't even half done, what has been done is half-assed at best. Imagine wanting to play a blue LM, blue champ, yellow hunter, yellow warden etc. and realizing that you clearly picked the wrong trait tree as SSG couldn't be bothered to work on the reworks, but then for some strange reason opting for a freep vs. freep PvP server
    The class balance has been ongoing for years, are they never supposed to release anything else? PVP players have been waiting for something new for 10 years+!

1. This is a capped level 50 server, the balance can be made in that specific level range so it wont effect 130 pvmp.
    2. Yes?
    3. Again, this might be fixed before release. SSG simply has to nerf the powerful gear sets at level 50.
    4. Class balance is way better at level 50 IMO.
    5. There is already a cc-immunity in place.
    6. There are 2 factions and open world PVP, its basically like in Ettens, but probably easier to find 1v1 in certain regions since player will be more spread out all over the map. It will be less zerg than ettens im 100% sure of.
    7. Why would there be a penalty for this?? Its a PVP server, form your own raid and fight against them simply.

Quote Originally Posted by Daenirion View Post
    Every region in Eriador has one safe zone in a major hub now. I think that's fine, because it might be too frustrating for people if they get totally steamrolled over and over again and you just can't get safely to Bree or Gondamon. Obviously there's a risk of having these stand-offs, but honestly, there is no ranking system, no war tab to track your k/d to feed your virtual ego. You don't lose anything if you die. It's PvP and we're here to have fun, so if someone still feels the need to hug the safe zone, then I just don't know what to say. Then maybe player mentality is more of an issue than I thought.
    I can guarantee there is a huge portion of the pvp community who doesn't care about points or anything, they just want to kill people. Beta already has stare-offs and its frigging BETA, where no one gets to keep anything for more than a couple days.

You heard it here first.... there's gonna be a lot of stare-offing around the borders of these safe zones... the more of them there are the more stare-offing you going to get as both sides like to hug it for a safe retreat in case things go south... there's going to be so much cheese involving them that I'm wondering if there should be some alternative solution like having only one safe zone for each side (like bree for elledan and thorin's hall for elrohir or something like that)

I can guarantee there is a huge portion of the pvp community who doesn't care about points or anything, they just want to kill people. Beta already has stare-offs and its frigging BETA, where no one gets to keep anything for more than a couple days.

You heard it here first.... there's gonna be a lot of stare-offing around the borders of these safe zones... the more of them there are the more stare-offing you going to get as both sides like to hug it for a safe retreat in case things go south... there's going to be so much cheese involving them that I'm wondering if there should be some alternative solution like having only one safe zone for each side (like bree for elledan and thorin's hall for elrohir or something like that)
    Yeah, adding the safe zones to the list might have been a mistake. Didn't think it would be such a big issue. Also the borders of the safe zones seem to be inconsistent. Might actually be intentional, because once you figure out where the border exactly is, you can abuse it even more.

EDIT: Figured it out. It's not inconsistent. There's a 10 second internal timer and then you're safe. Not making it instant is actually smart.

@Vastin: Is there a way to only have the timer active when you enter a safe zone but not when you leave?
    Last edited by Daenirion; May 29 2020 at 11:02 AM.

Yeah, adding the safe zones to the list might have been a mistake. Didn't think it would be such a big issue. Also the borders of the safe zones seem to be inconsistent. Might actually be intentional, because once you figure out where the border exactly is, you can abuse it even more.

EDIT: Figured it out. It's not inconsistent. There's a 10 second internal timer and then you're safe. Not making it instant is actually smart.

@Vastin: Is there a way to only have the timer active when you enter a safe zone but not when you leave?
    the internal timer/inconsistency doesn't make the border any less huggable... in fact it makes it even more huggable.

The stronger side sits outside the border looking for anyone exiting the border, knowing that once someone leaves the safe zone they will be vulnerable for 10 seconds (which atm is more than enough to kill most people)

The weaker side sits inside the border, knowing that if they leave for even a moment they will get toasted, so better to sit inside of safety and wait for more people

and ta-daaaaa you get a stare-off.

the internal timer/inconsistency doesn't make the border any less huggable... in fact it makes it even more huggable.

The stronger side sits outside the border looking for anyone exiting the border, knowing that once someone leaves the safe zone they will be vulnerable for 10 seconds (which atm is more than enough to kill most people)

The weaker side sits inside the border, knowing that if they leave for even a moment they will get toasted, so better to sit inside of safety and wait for more people

and ta-daaaaa you get a stare-off.
    What's the solution then? This really seems like a mentality issue to me. I'm not gonna sit around in the safe zone and wait for more people so I can zerg down the other side. I'm just gonna move on and look for fights somewhere else tbh.

Personally I wouldn't mind if there were no safe zones at all (:

What's the solution then? This really seems like a mentality issue to me. I'm not gonna sit around in the safe zone and wait for more people so I can zerg down the other side. I'm just gonna move on and look for fights somewhere else tbh.

Personally I wouldn't mind if there were no safe zones at all (:
    Having fewer safe zones and having each safe zone be faction-specific, such that you don't have both sides using the same safe area like we've seen happen in west bree.

my suggestion would be: remove all current safe zones and make two faction-specific safe zones far far far apart from each other.

Yeah, this was the behavior I was a little concerned about and why I initially just had the two safe zones defined.

That being said, it's hard to complete deeds while you're cowering around the fringes of the towns, and I *do* want places where people can deal with their logistics without getting ganked, so I think for the time being they'll just remain in place.

I'll research the possibility of having faction specific zones, which would certainly help. Can't do that right atm however.

-Vastin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast