We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    and to note this isn't first added Female dwarf options, years ago old community manager sapience, said during early beta there was female option but never made official to live, due to player feedback pointing out the lore. but 12-13 years later we getting them now officially.
    Did I miss an announcement that there would be female Stout-Axes? It seems reasonable, but I didn't see any official word.

Edit: Whoops. Just found it. Awesome!
    Crickhollow, Anor, and Treebeard
    Learning to raid on Anor https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    and to note this isn't first added Female dwarf options, years ago old community manager sapience, said during early beta there was female option but never made official to live, due to player feedback pointing out the lore. but 12-13 years later we getting them now officially.
    I've been here since Alpha II and I don't remember ever seeing a female option but I'll take Sapience's word on it. I would think that if the option did exist at one point it would be brought up every time female dwarfs are discussed.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

The best thing here is that no matter how hard people argue about lore, we are getting female dwarves and noone can change it!

Quote Originally Posted by auximenes View Post
    I've been here since Alpha II and I don't remember ever seeing a female option but I'll take Sapience's word on it. I would think that if the option did exist at one point it would be brought up every time female dwarfs are discussed.
    I asked the question many years ago why they didn't add female dwarves to the game, at the time didn't know much lore yet. Here's is his quote I had to dig for it and I'll post link as well as thread was locked. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...female-dwarves

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience
    Go to the character creation screen and take a look at something different about Dwarves. We didn't make "male" Dwarves either. It's the only race that doesn't give you a gender option.

As mentioned above, according to the Professor you can't tell them apart. So your Dwarf is exactly what you think it is. Whether or not anyone can tell.

Also, for the record, they were originally identified by gender in the original SOA beta. The player base pointed out the lore points on distinguishing the gender of Dwarves. We changed the character create options accordingly.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Oh please, intentional departures from LOTR are a thing, have been since day one and have grown more frequent as time's gone on. Female-looking Dwarves being playable would just be the latest, just as the way the game's version of Dis looks was one before that, and the notion of female Dwarves (authentically male-looking ones) being even theoretically playable was one from long before that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    This.

And those few who continue who defend SSG as being completely faithful to the Original Text...well...I suspect you're in a form of denial.
    As much as I like SSG, I have to agree with this. And I think it’s getting to be a bit much.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Long thread, with many opinions.

I like the idea of being able to change race.

New race! Again? Not so excited about this. A new class however, would have been something to get worked up over.

Female dwarves! Yeah, I'm fine with players choosing the "female" option on the creation screen, or parading their dwarf around Middle Earth in a dress, but that's as far as it goes in my book. They should not look feminine, they should have beards, and they should talk like all other dwarves. The second I see one in the world, and I can without any doubt, see it's female, is the second SSG break their connection with LotR.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post

Female dwarves! Yeah, I'm fine with players choosing the "female" option on the creation screen, or parading their dwarf around Middle Earth in a dress, but that's as far as it goes in my book. They should not look feminine, they should have beards, and they should talk like all other dwarves. The second I see one in the world, and I can without any doubt, see it's female, is the second SSG break their connection with LotR.
    Agreed. If this goes through, it will be such a shame.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by Arabani View Post
    The best thing here is that no matter how hard people argue about lore, we are getting female dwarves and noone can change it!
    Who is this Noone fellow, and can he really change it?
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Who is this Noone fellow, and can he really change it?

lol Perfect.

Hmmmmm...on second thought, if this "Noone" is so powerful....maybe we can get him to work on the LI grind?

My bet would be a small group of a "few" stout-axe dwarves escaped the clutches of Sauron and escaped west. I would bet the pocket starter zone will follow that line with them ending up hiding out in TH, then going out to help free their brethren. Only way it'd make any sense.

As an avid LOTR fan and a fan of Dwarves... this news is VERY exciting. I understand it may cause controversy in regards to male female and whether it's "lore appropriate" but leave it to the players to RP lore appropriate. Dwarven Runekeepers that act like Palpatine and shook lightning from their fingertips isn't lore appropriate either- but those who keep the spirit of Middle Earth well in their hearts will do it justice.

Personally, the main reason I am so excited is I hope the two things I love most might finally come together- I love Dwarves.... and I love Burglar playstyle. I REALLY hope this "breed" of Dwarf can marry these two together and I can FINALLY have a main character after all these years. If this happens, I would be the happiest person! LOTRO could finally be the #1 MMO I play.

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    Hmmmmm...on second thought, if this "Noone" is so powerful....maybe we can get him to work on the LI grind?
    No-one works on so many needful things in this game that sadly, he never gets round to finishing anything

Now what would be really kind of neat is if the female models were slightly different to set them apart, without making them look too feminine, however they were only visible by other people who were playing dwarves. For anybody playing any other race the model would only appear as the male version's equivalent customization settings. I don't think anything like that would ever happen, nor do I even know if it's possible for LOTRO, but it would be the coolest way to implement female dwarves if we have to have them distinctly separate. Or even if the models were the same, just something where only other dwarf players would be able to tell who was playing a male or female dwarf.

Quote Originally Posted by highlandgirl View Post
    My bet would be a small group of a "few" stout-axe dwarves escaped the clutches of Sauron and escaped west. I would bet the pocket starter zone will follow that line with them ending up hiding out in TH, then going out to help free their brethren. Only way it'd make any sense.
    noooo!
    they have established a colony in minas morgul n they ll open the gates for us!
    really now? we r so happy with this already creating stories?
    devastated.........
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, over 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship and Subleader, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeneth View Post
    Now what would be really kind of neat is if the female models were slightly different to set them apart, without making them look too feminine, however they were only visible by other people who were playing dwarves. For anybody playing any other race the model would only appear as the male version's equivalent customization settings. I don't think anything like that would ever happen, nor do I even know if it's possible for LOTRO, but it would be the coolest way to implement female dwarves if we have to have them distinctly separate. Or even if the models were the same, just something where only other dwarf players would be able to tell who was playing a male or female dwarf.
    accepting thet they finally making this lore abomination,
    what i want to see is dialogs remaing the same and every NPC speak to those females as they were males!!!
    i would be so happy with this!
    i would be really really happy with one more thing i have in mind and it is coming with these females,
    not saying anything yet, waiting till beta!
    what is really weird is that no blue names have said a word after 5 pages of comments!
    now i understand why we didnt had a proper producer's letter about what is happening in next year!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, over 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship and Subleader, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

The intention for the Stout-Axe Dwarf is to offer a choice in gender, but have the two cosmetically look alike. This weekend's discussion has uncovered some gendered text in the regular Dwarf as well that we should probably take care of in the future. Thanks for the feedback!
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The intention for the Stout-Axe Dwarf is to offer a choice in gender, but have the two cosmetically look alike. This weekend's discussion has uncovered some gendered text in the regular Dwarf as well that we should probably take care of in the future. Thanks for the feedback!
    It probably wouldn't be unusual for an outsider to make that kind of mistake. You might even leave some of those in for authenticity. (With limited time, you might prioritize reviewing interactions with other dwarf NPCs to ensure they get the player character's gender correct.)

ow n here is the the man of the day!
    i really really really tks for this answer in the forums!!!!
    i love it!!!!
    wait to see the feedbacks coming with this statement!!!!

good to hear - this satisfies my concerns, at least.

Does this mean they'll look identical or just similar? If it's the former then that's pretty disappointing. I might've been in the "identical" crowd before Dís was introduced, but I honestly don't mind how she looks and it seems like an odd choice to introduce further inconsistencies by adding explicitly female dwarves without any option to have a body type similar to hers. Doing so would single out Dís an oddity and that doesn't seem right.
    Come join House of the Heavenly Arch, a Discord server for LGBT Fans of LOTR: https://discord.gg/9QfKMPJ
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

>The intention for the Stout-Axe Dwarf is to offer a choice in gender, but have the two cosmetically look alike.<

Ridiculous!

You might as well not specify gender at all if there is no different set of hair, beard or other appearances. I am not looking for a dwarf in a bikini with huge boobs sticking out but there is no point to giving a male/female choice if it is totally meaningless in all ways.

To quote from Barry Goldwater's 1964 campaign. Give me a choice, not an echo.

Of course that campaign was not exactly one of the more successful ones though his 5 states sure beat McGovern's one state a bit later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Lethargy View Post
    Does this mean they'll look identical or just similar? If it's the former then that's pretty disappointing. I might've been in the "identical" crowd before Dís was introduced, but I honestly don't mind how she looks and it seems like an odd choice to introduce further inconsistencies by adding explicitly female dwarves without any option to have a body type similar to hers. Doing so would single out Dís an oddity and that doesn't seem right.
    What part of HUMAN,ELVES AND HOBBITS CANT see a difference between a male dwarf and a female dwarf.. Why are you so obsessed about playing a bearded woman looking character? This is Lord of the rings, not World of warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by LotroVidz View Post
    What part of HUMAN,ELVES AND HOBBITS CANT see a difference between a male dwarf and a female dwarf.. Why are you so obsessed about playing a bearded woman looking character? This is Lord of the rings, not World of warcraft.
    I'd be nearly (but not quite) as happy if they just masculinized Dís a bit to match other dwarves. I just want internal consistency within the game, dude. Chill.
    Come join House of the Heavenly Arch, a Discord server for LGBT Fans of LOTR: https://discord.gg/9QfKMPJ
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I am sure the dev team working on this will stay with lore, so don't worry about that. The real questions, will the Stout-Axe be Will Trait base, or will there be dwarven captains and lore masters?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Lethargy View Post
    I'd be nearly (but not quite) as happy if they just masculinized Dís a bit to match other dwarves. I just want internal consistency within the game, dude. Chill.
    Just because we have 1 dwarf that looks more feminine, doesn't mean we should have hundreds of them.. it will look ridiculous

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast