We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Independent future plans? Can we have a new Letter from the Executive Producer soon?

    Now that the devs are independent... Can we get a real outview for 2017, like the executive producers letter we used to get once... the last one was pretty much only "the game will be on and there will be mordor" which was quite short...

    Please give us a view on the future what you plan.
    Now, that you are independent, you should be able to do what you plan.
    So... how are your future plans for quests&landscape content?
    What are the plans for crafting? Raids? Grind? Essences? Kinship revamp? skirmishes/epic battles? loot system? housing?

    Its not necessary to tell us what will be done. Thats impossible anyway. Its just nice to know whats planned/thought about and the last producers letter was a bit unsatisfying.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,477
    Yes, this is something we expect to do, but it'll probably be after the new year due to scheduling and such. Our plans, however, remain unchanged, and we expect the transition to have relatively little visible impact in-game. That said, we are extremely excited to be able to work on LOTRO, and with Mordor coming next year, we've got huge plans.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

  3. #3
    Hopefully we can see confidence built with Standing Stone's handling of LOTRO, enough that the Silmarillion material might become available for development. Tinuviel, Tinuviel, Standing-Stone Tinuviel! I've got another thread in the Player Suggestions that would probably need the Silmarillion material to draw from for content. (The Tower Hills suggestion)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,985
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidWe View Post
    Hopefully we can see confidence built with Standing Stone's handling of LOTRO, enough that the Silmarillion material might become available for development. Tinuviel, Tinuviel, Standing-Stone Tinuviel! I've got another thread in the Player Suggestions that would probably need the Silmarillion material to draw from for content. (The Tower Hills suggestion)
    While I would love to see more material, I am afraid this will never happen. Last I checked, the rights for the Sil still belong to the Tolkien family. The rights would have to be pried from C Tolkien's cold, dead fist, and from what I understand he's been grooming the various heir(s) to maintain that tight fist long after his death (C Tolkien is, himself, getting up there in years, after all).

    I wouldn't count on seeing anything based on the Sil any time soon. If ever. In fact, I feel as thought I read one Tolkien was disinherited by C Tolkien and the rest of the family because he supported the freedom and fandom that the movies and other merchandise brought. He recognized that the fanbase as it is today is basically impossible without PJ's movies launching this franchise into common knowledge. The books are undeniably great, but so is Shakespeare and no one really reads that outside of highschool and only when forced.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/115 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/115 RK Dhurik
    115 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    While I would love to see more material, I am afraid this will never happen. Last I checked, the rights for the Sil still belong to the Tolkien family. The rights would have to be pried from C Tolkien's cold, dead fist, and from what I understand he's been grooming the various heir(s) to maintain that tight fist long after his death (C Tolkien is, himself, getting up there in years, after all).

    I wouldn't count on seeing anything based on the Sil any time soon. If ever. In fact, I feel as thought I read one Tolkien was disinherited by C Tolkien and the rest of the family because he supported the freedom and fandom that the movies and other merchandise brought. He recognized that the fanbase as it is today is basically impossible without PJ's movies launching this franchise into common knowledge. The books are undeniably great, but so is Shakespeare and no one really reads that outside of highschool and only when forced.
    The Silmarillion will be available for use on Sept 3, 2043 (author's life plus 70 years). Unfinished Tales content will become available 70 years after Christopher Tolkien dies. That clock ain't started ticking yet.

    Christopher T. has already selected an heir (I believe a nephew of his) to control the IP after his death. His selection criteria were based on an adamant refusal to countenance any use of the IP other than book publishing.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  6. #6
    CaerArianrhod's Avatar
    CaerArianrhod is offline Rohirrim Scout
    Guardian of Erebrandir's Horseshoe's Secret
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    and with Mordor coming next year, we've got huge plans.
    Ohh plese no no no huge plans!
    We are scared by huge plans. "huge plans" meant in the past, we get broken and bugged content and more unbalanced classes. We are really afraid of huge plans.
    Small but visible stepps into the right direction ... that is what we can handle.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by CaerArianrhod View Post
    Ohh plese no no no huge plans!
    We are scared by huge plans. "huge plans" meant in the past, we get broken and bugged content and more unbalanced classes. We are really afraid of huge plans.
    Small but visible stepps into the right direction ... that is what we can handle.
    Indeed.

    Lets just focus on fixing current 40% of broken game/mechanics/lags/bugs/issue and so on. Can't really move on with half broken game.

  8. #8
    imo we can focus on fixing sad bugs after the main storyline is over. give us mordor, crown the king, safe the shire, send some people to the west and have a visit at erebor and northern mirkwood, then do no more updates for a year or two and just fix bugs. afterwards, convert lotro into sandboxy and explore whatever areas you like that are maybe mentioned but nowhere detailed in lotr and can therefore be done however the devs like to. get the story done and fix really urgent bugs on the way. the usual annoyances can wait.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    967
    I think it'd be cool if they broke ranks and called the job something other than Executive Producer.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,477
    Quote Originally Posted by CaerArianrhod View Post
    Ohh plese no no no huge plans!
    We are scared by huge plans. "huge plans" meant in the past, we get broken and bugged content and more unbalanced classes. We are really afraid of huge plans.
    Small but visible stepps into the right direction ... that is what we can handle.
    How about "Significant plans along with successful execution" then?
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    How about "Significant plans along with successful execution" then?
    If those Significant plans are successful executed, then Great!

    Otherwise, don't tell us!

    That said, Shiny New Producer's Letter Please!

    Cheers

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fealhach View Post
    If those Significant plans are successful executed, then Great!

    Otherwise, don't tell us!

    That said, Shiny New Producer's Letter Please!

    Cheers
    can we please have two different forum-parts then?

    one for people like him that only want to know what happens (release notes and nothing more) and one forum-part, where plans and ideas get discussed where nothing is allowed to get out? Im very interested in ideas and plans, no matter if they get done in the end... better discuss things before implemention. can change how things get done and make them better I like to be told things that may or may not come! There might even be a possible-spoiler type part in exec-producer-letters. A small part that says: hello, we are still here and work on the game. Then a bigger part that warns with spoilers and 'might not happen but we plan to' and then things that are planned... I prefer to read the whole thing, those that dont could stop there.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    can we please have two different forum-parts then?

    one for people like him that only want to know what happens (release notes and nothing more) and one forum-part, where plans and ideas get discussed where nothing is allowed to get out? Im very interested in ideas and plans, no matter if they get done in the end... better discuss things before implemention. can change how things get done and make them better I like to be told things that may or may not come!
    I want to know as much as you do! But, also cautious about things that may get mentioned that then don't come to pass. So as not to be disappointed when things don't happen. Like has happened in the past.

    But, if there are plans, and we can get in on the discussion or get a hint as to what is to come, then great! Bring it on! Discussions are good! And so is the open and better communication, which has lacked in the past.

    Producers Letters more often would be great too, and more Dev diaries.

    Cheers

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,464
    Ooh,question.

    Are there any plans to make some reversals that perhaps the devs are not happy with and would like to go back to 'the old ways' - for example, skill trees, or item simplification and the clss changes that have made them rather homogeneous? Or the 'daily' aspects of the game? Are there any 'old school' gameplay mechanics that you are considering reverting to or at least re-designing?
    'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'

    [evernight] lilka : warden | gwenaëlle : champion | elorie : minstrel | cedar : hunter


  15. #15
    CaerArianrhod's Avatar
    CaerArianrhod is offline Rohirrim Scout
    Guardian of Erebrandir's Horseshoe's Secret
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    How about "Significant plans along with successful execution" then?
    Well ... how should I say ... i would LOVE it! ;-)

    Seriously, we (the player) are a kind of "once bitten, twice shy".
    It is good to see, how much more commuication is currently running between you (SSG) and us. Please keep it this way!
    It is very important for us, to see and know that you (SSG) are here, reading and listening our daily runt/whishes/suggestion/mimimi/bug reports/ etc.
    See for example this post this is what i mean with small stepps right direction. We have a problem, you are acting and telling us what you are going to do.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload