We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1

    Question Will there be new Lotro content in 2017?

    A couple of peeps I suspect are trolling have stated that Lotro will be ending next year. I remember that there was suppose to be new material through 2016. I was wondering what 2017 looks like?

    Thank You

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,229
    Yes you were being trolled. The only people that really know for sure what is going to happen in 2017 is WB/Turbine.

    Many will state their speculations as fact, and then dig and scratch for anything to prove its valid.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,031
    Quote Originally Posted by DerynH View Post
    A couple of peeps I suspect are trolling have stated that Lotro will be ending next year. I remember that there was suppose to be new material through 2016. I was wondering what 2017 looks like?

    Thank You
    I can't answer your question, but I can at least tell you that people have been stating that "LOTRO will close next year" since before it went live It's the same for all games

    All games will close one day, but you you might not want to listen to people who repeat it constantly because even though they will one day be speaking the truth as long as they keep repeating it every year until the end, there might still be tons and tons of time left for you to have fun. Now it's been about 9 years since people first said that the game was closing
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MourneBlade View Post
    Yes you were being trolled. The only people that really know for sure what is going to happen in 2017 is WB/Turbine.

    Many will state their speculations as fact, and then dig and scratch for anything to prove its valid.....
    Not true. SZC has final say as they own the IP and it is their decision to renew the license or not.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Econn71 View Post
    Not true. SZC has final say as they own the IP and it is their decision to renew the license or not.
    Well I highly doubt anyone from SZC is going to show up on here and comment either. Turbine has remained Zip on this subject, and a lot of other stuff too! But as to whether or not WB/Turbine is going to want to continue with SZC or vice versa- Remains to be seen.....

  6. #6
    obviously, turbine wants the game to go on.
    otherwise, they would not release updates with content like raids or great battles like the last epic.
    i think, this should show us enough. they want to let it go on. if it will is another question, but the intention is obvious.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

  7. #7
    They hinted at a full-blown Mordor expansion if I'm not mistaken. That is obviously just the intent and no guarantee that it will happen.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    They hinted at a full-blown Mordor expansion if I'm not mistaken. That is obviously just the intent and no guarantee that it will happen.
    Lotro will never have another expansion. We will continue to get "Updates" (capital U), and Mordor will arrive within the year. This is the official word from Turbine, originally stated in a Q&A a couple months ago.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    156
    There is not a shred of evidence to suggest that the license will be renewed next year, beyond a couple of evasive forum posts by Turbine reps saying they'll communicate with the players when they actually have something to communicate.

    Meanwhile, the evidence compounded in the last 12 months that the license will NOT be renewed is overwhelming. The sunshine-pumping sycophant fanbois who plague these forums with their naïve and unrealistic optimism refuse to evaluate or even acknowledge such evidence, but it's staring them right in the face.

    In no particular order;

    1). The downsizing and removal of key personnel, replacing them with existing personnel from another floundering Turbine MMO, asking them to manage both at the same time.
    2). The blatant downgrade of datacenter hardware spun to shareholders and subscribers as an upgrade, compounded by the lie that European datacenters were also being "upgraded".
    3). The closure of two-thirds of the LOTRO servers, on the heels of what was supposed to be a revitalizing content update.
    4). The total lack of moderation on these forums, especially concerning BOT spam solicitations, and [rhymes with split-ghosts] by habitual trolls who derail every single thread they touch with petty arguments and personal attacks against each other (see posts above AND below).
    5). The compounding list of bug reports (particularly class abilities that either don't work at all anymore, or do the exact opposite of what they are supposed to), almost none of which have been addressed (but more importantly, have not been fixed).
    6). The complete abandonment by the development team of the newest player class, which was released in an unfinished, alpha-testing state that has never been addressed or resolved.
    7). The ongoing deterioration of the game's optimization on both old and new hardware/software, resulting in copious rubberbanding, low frame rates, and crashes to desktop, and compounded by scripted assurances that someone, somewhere is aware of the problem, and has spent the past 10 months working to resolve it...yet the issue remains for a notable portion of what's left of the game's player base.
    8). The near-total abandonment of development on LOTRO's formerly robust crafting system, along with its viability in the game's economy.
    9). A growing unrest among the player base, even those who spent years shilling for Turbine, that the game is simply no longer any fun, evidenced by an ever-shrinking player base, and more importantly, a shrinking subscriber base.
    10). The overwhelming lack of communication from Turbine concerning any of the above issues.

    Granted, some of these issues are the result of the WB buyout, going Free-to-Play, and turning the game into a watered-down WoW clone with a cash store; an easy-mode single player game with optional grindy multiplayer content. But ultimately, nothing was ever done to counter the ramifications of those miscues. That's why the game is standing on the precipice today, and it's why threads like this exist at all.

    Now, fanbois are going to cite the most recent content updates as proof positive that Turbine still cares about the game and that new content is being developed. And they'll refuse to consider or acknowledge that most of said content was in development long before this disastrous year for the game unfolded. They'd rather call me a troll and dismiss everything that's staring them right in the face, and stick their heads firmly back into the sand and attest that everything is fine, while they continue to complain about bugs, lag and the RNG.

    Ultimately, whether the license is renewed or not is decisively up to the shareholders, and whether they have confidence in the viability of LOTRO as a profitable venture. But even the most basic level of common sense suggests that if the shareholders had any confidence in LOTRO at all, none of the items above would have ever happened in the first place.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
    Lotro will never have another expansion. We will continue to get "Updates" (capital U), and Mordor will arrive within the year. This is the official word from Turbine, originally stated in a Q&A a couple months ago.
    and still they made a survey, where they asked, if players would like another big expansion. you would not ask such a question, if you have no intention to ever make one again.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    454
    Yes, there will be new LOTRO content in 2017. We can't get into private license discussions, of course, but I'm not aware of any reason to think the process would be any different from the past, which was lawyers getting together and papers being signed. The LOTRO community has historically been particularly anxious over license issues, but it's always been a routine piece of business, and there's no reason to think it won't be more of the same.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Find LOTRO on: Facebook Twitter Twitch Google+
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Google+ Instagram
    My PM inbox is broken. Click here to send me a private message.
    cool cool

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yes, there will be new LOTRO content in 2017. We can't get into private license discussions, of course, but I'm not aware of any reason to think the process would be any different from the past, which was lawyers getting together and papers being signed. The LOTRO community has historically been particularly anxious over license issues, but it's always been a routine piece of business, and there's no reason to think it won't be more of the same.
    There you have it. There is NO maintenance mode, there WILL BE new content, and the game will go on.

    Let's rejoice
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yes, there will be new LOTRO content in 2017. We can't get into private license discussions, of course, but I'm not aware of any reason to think the process would be any different from the past, which was lawyers getting together and papers being signed. The LOTRO community has historically been particularly anxious over license issues, but it's always been a routine piece of business, and there's no reason to think it won't be more of the same.
    That is a very reassuring post that gives much hope for the future of the game

    Thank You kindly Cordovan
    Amorey - Bard of the Shire

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by psalm8818 View Post
    2). The blatant downgrade of datacenter hardware spun to shareholders and subscribers as an upgrade, compounded by the lie that European datacenters were also being "upgraded"
    You are really making things up here -- There was no downgrade of the datacenter. It's clear that you have no idea of what the old datacenter was like.

    Just because the switch in datacenters was handled, as many of us in the Communications business have noted, with less than competent execution, does not mean that the hardware was not upgraded. And yes, the Executive Directory of Technical Operations, hired with great fanfare (i.e. a press release) back in October of 2012, was gone by November of 2014.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

    Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (120)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

    Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

    "Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    You are really making things up here -- There was no downgrade of the datacenter. It's clear that you have no idea of what the old datacenter was like.

    Just because the switch in datacenters was handled, as many of us in the Communications business have noted, with less than competent execution, does not mean that the hardware was not upgraded. And yes, the Executive Directory of Technical Operations, hired with great fanfare (i.e. a press release) back in October of 2012, was gone by November of 2014.
    There was definitely an upgrade. The previous servers were still running on Windows 2003 Server, which was the standard Windows-based OS of choice when the game launched in 2007..... they have upgraded to Windows 2012R2 64bit with this datacenter change.

    That indeed does not mean they didn't screw some things up majorly, but if someone is thinking they "downgraded" hardware and/or software, they are wrong.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yes, there will be new LOTRO content in 2017. We can't get into private license discussions, of course, but I'm not aware of any reason to think the process would be any different from the past, which was lawyers getting together and papers being signed. The LOTRO community has historically been particularly anxious over license issues, but it's always been a routine piece of business, and there's no reason to think it won't be more of the same.
    There, that wasn't difficult. Okay everyone you can go back to homes and families, the emergency is over.

    /Rubs Erebrandir's Horseshoe.

    Cheers

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yes, there will be new LOTRO content in 2017. We can't get into private license discussions, of course, but I'm not aware of any reason to think the process would be any different from the past, which was lawyers getting together and papers being signed. The LOTRO community has historically been particularly anxious over license issues, but it's always been a routine piece of business, and there's no reason to think it won't be more of the same.
    Except for the 10 points listed above.

    And frankly, each of those need to be fully addressed and reconciled before you even begin to think about adding more broken, buggy content. This community is sick and tired of those concerns being ignored or evaded by CR reps who are clearly under instructions to remain silent.

    For years, LOTRO's mantra has been "The journey is more important than the destination". But as things stand right now, the journey absolutely stinks. Which, again, is why threads like this exist.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by psalm8818 View Post
    Except for the 10 points listed above.

    And frankly, each of those need to be fully addressed and reconciled before you even begin to think about adding more broken, buggy content. This community is sick and tired of those concerns being ignored or evaded by CR reps who are clearly under instructions to remain silent.

    For years, LOTRO's mantra has been "The journey is more important than the destination". But as things stand right now, the journey absolutely stinks. Which, again, is why threads like this exist.
    As a community member who can speak for myself, I am sick and tired of individuals arguing with blue names to the point they finally throw up their hands and quit posting on these forums. Cordovan has been posting more frequently than we had recently grown accustomed to. I'd like to keep it that way, so please get off his/her back. There are issues with the game, no one is denying that. Thankfully, communication is no longer one of them since the layoffs. The journey doesn't stink, which is why many of us are still here and enjoying LOTRO.

    I've posted this before, but I'll post it again, since it seems relevant. There will be no news regarding the license renewal until there is news to report. That likely means there will be an announcement once the license has been signed. There won't be rumors or negotiation "updates" from any Turbine employees.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by psalm8818 View Post
    There is not a shred of evidence to suggest that the license will be renewed next year, beyond a couple of evasive forum posts by Turbine reps saying they'll communicate with the players when they actually have something to communicate.

    Meanwhile, the evidence compounded in the last 12 months that the license will NOT be renewed is overwhelming. The sunshine-pumping sycophant fanbois who plague these forums with their naïve and unrealistic optimism refuse to evaluate or even acknowledge such evidence, but it's staring them right in the face.

    In no particular order;

    1). The downsizing and removal of key personnel, replacing them with existing personnel from another floundering Turbine MMO, asking them to manage both at the same time.
    2). The blatant downgrade of datacenter hardware spun to shareholders and subscribers as an upgrade, compounded by the lie that European datacenters were also being "upgraded".
    3). The closure of two-thirds of the LOTRO servers, on the heels of what was supposed to be a revitalizing content update.
    4). The total lack of moderation on these forums, especially concerning BOT spam solicitations, and [rhymes with split-ghosts] by habitual trolls who derail every single thread they touch with petty arguments and personal attacks against each other (see posts above AND below).
    5). The compounding list of bug reports (particularly class abilities that either don't work at all anymore, or do the exact opposite of what they are supposed to), almost none of which have been addressed (but more importantly, have not been fixed).
    6). The complete abandonment by the development team of the newest player class, which was released in an unfinished, alpha-testing state that has never been addressed or resolved.
    7). The ongoing deterioration of the game's optimization on both old and new hardware/software, resulting in copious rubberbanding, low frame rates, and crashes to desktop, and compounded by scripted assurances that someone, somewhere is aware of the problem, and has spent the past 10 months working to resolve it...yet the issue remains for a notable portion of what's left of the game's player base.
    8). The near-total abandonment of development on LOTRO's formerly robust crafting system, along with its viability in the game's economy.
    9). A growing unrest among the player base, even those who spent years shilling for Turbine, that the game is simply no longer any fun, evidenced by an ever-shrinking player base, and more importantly, a shrinking subscriber base.
    10). The overwhelming lack of communication from Turbine concerning any of the above issues.

    Granted, some of these issues are the result of the WB buyout, going Free-to-Play, and turning the game into a watered-down WoW clone with a cash store; an easy-mode single player game with optional grindy multiplayer content. But ultimately, nothing was ever done to counter the ramifications of those miscues. That's why the game is standing on the precipice today, and it's why threads like this exist at all.

    Now, fanbois are going to cite the most recent content updates as proof positive that Turbine still cares about the game and that new content is being developed. And they'll refuse to consider or acknowledge that most of said content was in development long before this disastrous year for the game unfolded. They'd rather call me a troll and dismiss everything that's staring them right in the face, and stick their heads firmly back into the sand and attest that everything is fine, while they continue to complain about bugs, lag and the RNG.

    Ultimately, whether the license is renewed or not is decisively up to the shareholders, and whether they have confidence in the viability of LOTRO as a profitable venture. But even the most basic level of common sense suggests that if the shareholders had any confidence in LOTRO at all, none of the items above would have ever happened in the first place.
    Ty! you just completely validated my first response to the OP!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by MourneBlade View Post
    Ty! you just completely validated my first response to the OP!
    And you just completely validated #4.

    Precisely as I knew you would.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Curuer_Bauglir View Post
    As a community member who can speak for myself, I am sick and tired of individuals arguing with blue names to the point they finally throw up their hands and quit posting on these forums. Cordovan has been posting more frequently than we had recently grown accustomed to. I'd like to keep it that way, so please get off his/her back. There are issues with the game, no one is denying that. Thankfully, communication is no longer one of them since the layoffs. The journey doesn't stink, which is why many of us are still here and enjoying LOTRO.

    I've posted this before, but I'll post it again, since it seems relevant. There will be no news regarding the license renewal until there is news to report. That likely means there will be an announcement once the license has been signed. There won't be rumors or negotiation "updates" from any Turbine employees.
    I will not.

    This isn't a private server or a reverse-engineered emulator project, and he is not a volunteer. It is now his job to understand and address the concerns of this community. I will not refrain from providing feedback because you think he's a thin-skinned snowflake who shouldn't have to read anything other than glowing praise for his predecessors' massive blunders. As a former paying customer, I have every bit as much right to express my concerns about the game as you have to dismiss them. And he is being paid good money to read those concerns. Whether anyone is being paid to actually do something about them or not is another matter for another day.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Curuer_Bauglir View Post
    As a community member who can speak for myself, I am sick and tired of individuals arguing with blue names to the point they finally throw up their hands and quit posting on these forums. Cordovan has been posting more frequently than we had recently grown accustomed to. I'd like to keep it that way, so please get off his/her back. There are issues with the game, no one is denying that. Thankfully, communication is no longer one of them since the layoffs. The journey doesn't stink, which is why many of us are still here and enjoying LOTRO.

    I've posted this before, but I'll post it again, since it seems relevant. There will be no news regarding the license renewal until there is news to report. That likely means there will be an announcement once the license has been signed. There won't be rumors or negotiation "updates" from any Turbine employees.
    I agree!

    I would like to see Cordovan posting here as he has done in the past few days because his presence have already created a much better atmosphere on the forums. He is reaching for us and that is something we have not seen for a long time.
    Amorey - Bard of the Shire

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yes, there will be new LOTRO content in 2017. We can't get into private license discussions, of course, but I'm not aware of any reason to think the process would be any different from the past, which was lawyers getting together and papers being signed. The LOTRO community has historically been particularly anxious over license issues, but it's always been a routine piece of business, and there's no reason to think it won't be more of the same.
    Thank you for that!

    Clearly and cleanly answered the OP's question. As far as I'm concerned, this thread is done.
    I7-6700k, Gigabyte Gaming 5 motherboard, MSI GamingX GTX 1070, Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500 GB), 3200 DD4 16 GB Ram, 1920x1200 28 inch monitor, Win 10

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,434
    Never doubted it. After all I will live another 50 years, what on Earth should I do after I retire?
    Will get to lvl 200. Whose with me?

    Looking forward to craft Incomparable Fëanor Armour with 25 Telperion Essence slots.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Marancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

    The Lord of the Rings Online: Community Discord

  25. #25
    For some people in the forums, it might sometimes be a healthy idea to be a little more optimistic.
    If the game goes down because of license issues, it does. you cannot change anything about it. Then why not just having fun till then? There is at least one year left. Thats plenty.
    And even if you say that there are many reasons to cry about what turbine is doing and how many mistakes they do and ignore issues...
    They still actively work on the game and the game can be played and one can have fun in it.
    Might be nice to appreciate that sometimes.

    Sure, I'd like some systems to get reworked, classes to be more balanced etc. There is a suggestion forum for it, which I use regularly.
    There have already been several suggestions made by me that got implemented. You just have to give them enough time. Sometimes, that means, you will have to wait longer than you want and some things will never be fixed/implemented/be better. But things get done, some things that have been suggested in the forums and the game gets updates. There is no reason to be so destructive and aggressive.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload