We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Having fewer worlds means the ability for our team to run more Live Events

Well, it's more than half a year now since we read this in a Developer Diary.
    Server closings are almost done, it's the final week the old worlds are available for play, and probably 98% of the players have moved to the remaining worlds.
    So, what do you think, when will we get to see those promised live events?

The Future

So what happens after we are all moved over to the remaining ten? Lots of fun times ahead. The new data center we will be moving provides a much faster connection to the internet with more direct ports to all territories. We are updating all of our software to the latest and greatest versions and all of the worlds are moving to new top of the line hardware allowing for less interruptions of service and a smoother gameplay experience for us all. Having fewer worlds means the ability for our team to run more Live Events on those worlds and the consolidation of players will mean the worlds will be more active, giving you more people to form fellowships, kinships or even just enjoy a festival with. We are really excited about this chance to re-invigorate Middle-earth and we hope you are as well!

We will start running more of these events once the closing worlds are shut down and all active players are moved. We will make sure to announce the starting of more live events in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frelorn View Post
    We will start running more of these events once the closing worlds are shut down and all active players are moved. We will make sure to announce the starting of more live events in advance.
    If the previously announced schedule is still in effect, this will be next week, as the Closing Worlds are set to become unplayable on or after 4 April if I recall correctly. The last stragglers are leaving - at least mine will be over this coming weekend.
    Be well and good questing, all! See you about Middle Earth another time!

Quote Originally Posted by Frelorn View Post
    Did you ever even try to participate in the events that developers ran? Every single one of them was completely flawed. How about "Taking the hobbits to broken lagville using 4 raids". You already have performance issues just letting an average group of people get from one side of the map to the other and you think running an event that will only highlight how broken your current system is will be fun?

Look Frelorn I understand that you are just going through the motions and trying to give people what they had before but lets be real here, it would do more harm than good. Apparently you guys rewrote more core functions without fully understanding just how it would break previously built systems that use those same functions. Every patch you put out breaks some other previously written code.

So what do you do instead? Well, instead of just complaining and pointing out the obvious flaws in your "More of the same" plan I will actually present ideas that you CAN implement that will help the player base have more fun.

1. A leader board.

The problem with many role play type games is that they leave no room for any systems that are entirely outside the lore and add to the aspect of the system as a game instead of just a separate world to live in. You need to give people something to be proud of and work towards. Oh i'm sorry, you developers think that the grind for gear is all people need to stay interested. Yeah right, hows that working out for you? No, you need to give people goals that concern play ability, not the damn grind of it all. I should be able to check at any moment who the top creeps and freeps are for the week or day for kills. I should be able to see what kinship has the fastest time for completing every raid in the game. I should be able to compete with other kinships for these goals and hopefully get weekly rewards for doing so. This kind of system gives a point for the kinship to run a raid, do well at it, and compete against other kinships. Doing this one thing will give players a whole new aspect of the game that never existed before and it will not be much for you to create since you are using current systems and current data that you already have, just tracked and presented in a new way. Now you woln't have 60 people all in the same spot lagging out your server for a single event that you (a developer) has to personally run.

2. Player run event system.

The same leader board system for tracking who does well and giving special rewards to them can also have a player usable interface where a kinship leader or other regular player can host his own event or task for players to accomplish. Want if I want to sponsor 10 gold event for the team that can complete IP in the fastest time with no deaths? The same system for a leader board can do the same tracking and reward system. Who knows how many competitions could be run this way for kinships, solo players, and pub teams.

3. Sparring Arena Play

You already allow people to spar but you never actually turned it into the event system that it always should have been. I should be able to post a bounty for another players demise and an area should be setup where this fight can take place. A tracking system should be created that allows someone to have a title that goes with being the best boxer on the server. The Undefeated title could actually mean something again. Why not a special cosmetic belt for the winner of a series of sparring fights? This is also a system that should have been placed in the moors a long time ago where a freep can spar against a creep for bragging rights and a tracking system that lets everyone know, who farmed who for the week in one on one combat. The system can be raid locked so that you can only fight another player 3 times in a week so that it is not abused.

In short, LOTRO is the land of a thousand missed opportunities because your development teams have always been focused on finishing the world instead of making the damn place fun. Almost every system in this game could be used to do something much more than it is. But you sadly just prioritize the next land mass instead of the next FUN system for players to use. I have an idea. How about using ideas like this to make a MORE FUN game instead of just a MORE OF THE SAME game.
    Last edited by Sinkhan; Mar 29 2016 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkhan View Post
    Did you ever even try to participate in the events that developers ran? Every single one of them was completely flawed. How about "Taking the hobbits to broken lagville using 4 raids". You already have performance issues just letting an average group of people get from one side of the map to the other and you think running an event that will only highlight how broken your current system is will be fun?

Look Frelorn I understand that you are just going through the motions and trying to give people what they had before but lets be real here, it would do more harm than good. Apparently you guys rewrote more core functions without fully understanding just how it would break previously built systems that use those same functions. Every patch you put out breaks some other previously written code.

So what do you do instead? Well, instead of just complaining and pointing out the obvious flaws in your "More of the same" plan I will actually present ideas that you CAN implement that will help the player base have more fun.

1. A leader board.

The problem with many role play type games is that they leave no room for any systems that are entirely outside the lore and add to the aspect of the system as a game instead of just a separate world to live in. You need to give people something to be proud of and work towards. Oh i'm sorry, you developers think that the grind for gear is all people need to stay interested. Yeah right, hows that working out for you? No, you need to give people goals that concern play ability, not the damn grind of it all. I should be able to check at any moment who the top creeps and freeps are for the week or day for kills. I should be able to see what kinship has the fastest time for completing every raid in the game. I should be able to compete with other kinships for these goals and hopefully get weekly rewards for doing so. This kind of system gives a point for the kinship to run a raid, do well at it, and compete against other kinships. Doing this one thing will give players a whole new aspect of the game that never existed before and it will not be much for you to create since you are using current systems and current data that you already have, just tracked and presented in a new way. Now you woln't have 60 people all in the same spot lagging out your server for a single event that you (a developer) has to personally run.

2. Player run event system.

The same leader board system for tracking who does well and giving special rewards to them can also have a player usable interface where a kinship leader or other regular player can host his own event or task for players to accomplish. Want if I want to sponsor 10 gold event for the team that can complete IP in the fastest time with no deaths? The same system for a leader board can do the same tracking and reward system. Who knows how many competitions could be run this way for kinships, solo players, and pub teams.

3. Sparring Arena Play

You already allow people to spar but you never actually turned it into the event system that it always should have been. I should be able to post a bounty for another players demise and an area should be setup where this fight can take place. A tracking system should be created that allows someone to have title that go with being the best boxer on the server. Undefeated could actually mean something again. Why not a special cosmetic belt for the winner of a series of sparring fights? This is also a system that should have been placed in the moors a long time ago where a freep can spar against a creep for bragging rights and a tracking system that lets everyone know, who farmed who for the week in one on one combat. The system can be raid locked so that you can only fight another player 3 times in a week so that it is not abused.

In short, LOTRO is the land on a thousand missed opportunities because your development teams have always been focused on finishing the world instead of making the damn place fun. Almost every system in this game could be used to do something much more than it is. But you sadly just priorities the next land mass instead of the next FUN system for players to use. I have an idea. How about using ideas like this to make a MORE FUN game instead of just a MORE OF THE SAME game.

There are some caveats with all of this, in particular cheating - both INTENTIONAL and UNINTENTIONAL. In the case of sparring, one can put two wardens in an arena and let them duke it out, and one of them will be crowned champion and gets X points, while the loser gets Y points for participating. (Or no points). But what if a mini was staying in range of them, and kept healing one of them? Would he still get the points because he received heals? What if BOTH were healed, but one got 10 heals from the mini and the other (the one the mini wants to lose) got 2 heals, just to get some heals "in the system". Same with buffs, runekeeper bubbles, etc.... If you attach a score to anything, it will be easy to cheat.

There used to be PvP leaderboards but they were removed. Although the official claim is that this was done because the site was "redesigned" in such a way that kind of information was no longer exported to the outside (which is when things like lotroaltfinder stopped working), but unofficially I think they removed it because there were too many multiboxers on top of the list that got to the top by cheating.

Another way of cheating and getting on to leaderboards is dual-boxing. That's officially already banned on PvP servers (in the case of 1 creep and 1 freep just to get renown, etc) but 2 freeps or more may be multiboxed without issue. How do you define whether someone is multiboxing a "dummy" that just gets beat up for points, or whether it is a real person that just doesn't know what he is doing?

Player ran events can definitely be fun, but if it involves fighting one another in any way, cheating is going to be rampant and its downfall. So that leaves "pacifist" events such as hunts and and such..... now THAT can be fun. I don't think the world would lend for this, but an event could be that a designated player holds "a treasure box" and buries/hides the box somewhere in the landscape, and then gets people to try and find it. First person to open a box gets the reward held inside. But this would require a "sandbox" system (modification of the world, by placing items). Sure, you could put a person somewhere and say "come find me" but nothing needs to change for that. You can do that now.

Running to isengard as a level 10 or running to gondor as a level 50? Sure, but there are ways of cheating there too. The guy multiboxing 5 mini's will probably win. It's going to be hard to implement a system where players can run their own events - beyond the capability that they have now - and don't have someone messing it up by cheating.

I do like the idea for kin-ran events and kin leader boards. One can assume that within a kinship people play fair and don't cheat. But it will be hard to come up with any events where a young level 20-ish that just joined the kin will be able to participate in an event and have the same chances of winning as the level 105. (yeah 105 is happening soon....)

One of the events that can be done by anyone at any time (but still has the cheating aspect with multi boxing) is Hobnanigans. It's the same rules for everyone regardless of level, and a leaderboard COULD be attached to this to keep track of scores. One thing that could be done is that a kinship can register a kinship team.... and anyone in the kinship can join that team to play a game, and the kinship team will be ranked on a leaderboard in-game. Of course this also gives larger kins a better ability to stay on top of the list because they have more members....

Festival leaderboards could work. Most tokens earned. Most treasures dug up. Most colored eggs found. Most snowball fights. Fastest maze time. Every festival has things, records that could be broken, and everyone is equal and cheating isn't really possible..... Maybe that?
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I understand that you are just going through the motions...
    This part is just not correct. I understand that The Ballad of Bingo Boffin might not be your cup of tea, but there's no world in which creating new quests to unlock every single week for a year (for free) is 'just going through the motions,' especially not on top of the other content we make for normal updates. Everyone has a wishlist of things they'd like to see in game, and we like hearing them -- but if I was just going through the motions my blood pressure would be way lower. :P

MoL

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    This part is just not correct. I understand that The Ballad of Bingo Boffin might not be your cup of tea, but there's no world in which creating new quests to unlock every single week for a year (for free) is 'just going through the motions,' especially not on top of the other content we make for normal updates. Everyone has a wishlist of things they'd like to see in game, and we like hearing them -- but if I was just going through the motions my blood pressure would be way lower. :P

MoL
    I LOVE the Boffin quests!! I am currently going through them on yet another toon....

I'm hoping for a Dwarven adventure next!
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    I LOVE the Boffin quests!! I am currently going through them on yet another toon....

I'm hoping for a Dwarven adventure next!
    Where would he go, though? It couldn't be the same path as Bingo.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    ~Landroval~
    .: Dannach, 118 WDN :.: Totes, 118 HNT :.: Sunhawk, 110 RNK :.
    ~Anor~
    .: Taika, 29 WDN :.
    I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

MoL
    And I'm very much enjoying them. Thank you very much for going to that effort.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

MoL
    "Taking the hobbits to ..." does not mean "The Ballad of Bingo Boffin".

"Take the Hobbits to Isengard!" was a event with Sapience in 2014 https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?537901 and https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-find-Sapience

MoL
    Anybody who slings mud at Bingo Boffin beware - my Hobbit burglar will sneak upon them and fishslap them!!!

Jokes aside - I also want to thank you for the Ballad of Bingo Boffin - it is made for the genuine Lotro (and Hobbit ) fan - I only fear the irony of some of the dialogs is lost on many - who doesn't like it should just ignore it and leave us enjoy it in peace and many chuckles.

And Sinkhan - if you want a game where you can/have to constantly compete against other players, and want official diplomas/titles/rewards for it - I think Lotro isn't quite the game for you - and it is not the devs fault ....

heh.. Bingo reminds me of an Epic Story re-visited.

MoL
    TGUW never appreciate great art. In fact the statement was directed specifically at Frelorn so we know exactly how knee-jerk the whole post was. Cuz, as Frelorn has stated numerously in his live stream, Turbine is right not to trust him with anything having to do with design or development. [no offense, Andy] So directing him to do content or code that the OP prefers is laughable. I feel bad for players who enter this fantasy realm with the intent of being Uber1337 and judging play by the numbers collected.

Seriously, MoL, there are a lot of us who appreciate your efforts. Not only appreciate, but look forward to experiencing what you've done. And its not just you. Today, on /wd there was a fake auction going on and I typed out "Isengard bids 5". Yeah its a bit long in the tooth but someone else at that time started bidding higher, then sent "Isengard bids 5" to /wd channel. He then bid again, higher, and repeated his isengard bid. After a few sec he explained to /wd that there was an actual quest like that, while explaining the point of the bid. Its been awhile since I've heard anyone ask "Tell me again why I'm checking the outhouses?" but there are moments like this throughout the game that capture the attention and imagination of the players, not involving pvp or "going through the motions."

Take a deep breath. Sit back and think that there are those of us, TGUW, who gobble up any tidbit you serve us.

Excuse me. I have to go to Rivendell for the reflecting pool. Thank you for that one too.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Blackbird View Post
    Where would he go, though? It couldn't be the same path as Bingo.
    1. Dwarf sets off from Thorin's Hall
    2. Dwarf sees Ale Association Tent
    3. Dwarf gets thoroughly drunk.

The End.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhiu View Post
    TGUW never appreciate great art. In fact the statement was directed specifically at Frelorn so we know exactly how knee-jerk the whole post was. Cuz, as Frelorn has stated numerously in his live stream, Turbine is right not to trust him with anything having to do with design or development. [no offense, Andy] So directing him to do content or code that the OP prefers is laughable. I feel bad for players who enter this fantasy realm with the intent of being Uber1337 and judging play by the numbers collected.

Seriously, MoL, there are a lot of us who appreciate your efforts. Not only appreciate, but look forward to experiencing what you've done. And its not just you. Today, on /wd there was a fake auction going on and I typed out "Isengard bids 5". Yeah its a bit long in the tooth but someone else at that time started bidding higher, then sent "Isengard bids 5" to /wd channel. He then bid again, higher, and repeated his isengard bid. After a few sec he explained to /wd that there was an actual quest like that, while explaining the point of the bid. Its been awhile since I've heard anyone ask "Tell me again why I'm checking the outhouses?" but there are moments like this throughout the game that capture the attention and imagination of the players, not involving pvp or "going through the motions."

Take a deep breath. Sit back and think that there are those of us, TGUW, who gobble up any tidbit you serve us.

Excuse me. I have to go to Rivendell for the reflecting pool. Thank you for that one too.
    Did you read what person who you referring to wrote? He never mentioned anything about Bingo quests...

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Did you read what person who you referring to wrote? He never mentioned anything about Bingo quests...
    Pay Xhiu no mind, I think she is off her medication

MoL
    Dear Made of Lions. My post was directed to Frelorn, the community manager who responded about running community events. My post and comment was directed to this part of the game, failed community events. In no way was my comment directed to the programmers of the game. I completely understand that you are trying to do many things. You are trying to finish building the world and at the same time reinvigorate new content into older areas. None of what I said was intended to make programmers even more upset or frustrated than they may already be. I as well am learning programming (JavaScript, node, mongo DB). Thank you for interacting with the community and I hope that you have a good day.

MoL
    we are waving the flag of bingo boffin, in what was a top tier mmo for what reason?
    dont worry the dev's are working on a fix that fixes the fix that fixed the fix that was fixing the fix....

Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post

The End.
    Dwarven drinking song

Dough, the stuff that buys my beer
    Ray, the guy who serves me beer
    Me, the guy who drinks my beer
    Far (a long way to the john!)
    So, I'll have another beer
    La.... I'll have another beer!
    Tea, no thanks I'm having beer!
    And that brings us back to dough, dough, dough, dough...
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    ~Landroval~
    .: Dannach, 118 WDN :.: Totes, 118 HNT :.: Sunhawk, 110 RNK :.
    ~Anor~
    .: Taika, 29 WDN :.
    I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Dwarven drinking song

Thank you for this...

Dwarven drinking song

Laughing out loud. The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music :P.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

So, it's been three months since i started this thread, and we are still impatiently waiting to experience the promised live events!
    When can we expect these?
    What will they be like?

Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post

The End.
    Well, that would be the end of Part I.

1. Dwarf learns of untold riches for the taking at location X1
    2. Dwarf undertakes epic adventure to get to location X1
    3. Dwarf gets to location X1, but learns that the treasure is not / no longer there
    4. Increment Xi and goto step 1

Quote Originally Posted by schlumpfencowboyjoe View Post
    So, it's been three months since i started this thread, and we are still impatiently waiting to experience the promised live events!
    What will they be like?
    Please fix performance issues before creating events that will concentrate large numbers of chars at the same place / time.

The Future

So what happens after we are all moved over to the remaining ten? Lots of fun times ahead. The new data center we will be moving provides a much faster connection to the internet with more direct ports to all territories. We are updating all of our software to the latest and greatest versions and all of the worlds are moving to new top of the line hardware allowing for less interruptions of service and a smoother gameplay experience for us all. Having fewer worlds means the ability for our team to run more Live Events on those worlds and the consolidation of players will mean the worlds will be more active, giving you more people to form fellowships, kinships or even just enjoy a festival with. We are really excited about this chance to re-invigorate Middle-earth and we hope you are as well!
    Soooo, it's already more than seven months since i created this thread, and we are still waiting to see the awesome promised live events, and the so called "fun times", that are ahead!
    Let me guess!
    Never?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast