Ok, this one was driving me batty until I finally figured it out, in part. It was at least enough I could finally finish this quest!
When the table disappears, go stand by the mayor, Will Whitfoot, and wait for him to eat something. After eating, he gives you a clue as to what he wants next. I've only figured out a few clues so far and I don't have his whole sentence each time, but here's the beginning of my list. When anyone else figures out more clues, add them in! I'll add them to this list as we get more replies.
What the mayor says: = what he wants you to bring
"...forgot to season this" = salt
"....cleanse palate" = wine
"Something tart will do nicely now" = wine
"This bread is too dry!" = butter
"So.. Thirsty..." = water
''Ack! Ss...spuh...spicy! Save me!'' = milk (Thanks to Rakulp)
"It's missing a little something" = salt (Thanks to Gilreth_EU)
"I need to replenish. = Water"
"This was too fine a dish to be eaten without an accompaniment." = Wine (Thanks to Grhysli)
"Nice and salty, but now my mouth is dry" = water (Thanks to Laire)
''It just needs a dab of something....'' = Butter
''Hmm. Not quite rich enough, if you ask me.'' = Butter (Thanks to Thronar)
"Dear me! It burns, it burns..." = milk (Thanks to Beatnik1)
"Bland, bland, bland." = salt (Thanks to Zandras)
''Ouch!! Too much pepper!'' = milk (Thanks again Laire)
The clues I jotted down that I had gotten wrong so far were:
"...crisp and clean" He did *not* want wine
"...adding to this dish would spoil its taste" He did *not* want water (or wine, thank you Laire!)
"...eating is hard work, I need to replenish" He did *not* want milk
Last edited by Daragh; Jul 26 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Reason: updating responses
Couple more clues for those we are still stumped on...
''Mmm! Whoever made this is worthy of great admiration.'' - NOT wine
''That was a nice set of flavours.'' - NOT wine
''That was a passable meal, I suppose.'' - NOT wine
''Crisp flavour, hearty, and a clean aftertaste!'' - NOT wine
''Adding to this dish would spoil its taste.'' - Also NOT milk
This is what I managed to overhear and test out on my own:
1. WINE -- This was too fine a dish to be eaten without an accompaniment .
2. WINE -- Something tart will do nicely right now.
3. WINE -- I must cleanse my palette.
4. WATER -- Nice and salty, but now my mouth is dry.
5. WATER -- So Thirsty.
6. WATER -- Eating is hard work, I need to replenish.
7. SALT -- It's missing a little something.
8. SALT - Did Opal forget to season this?
9. SALT - Bland, bland, bland.
10. BUTTER -- It just needs a dab of something.
11. BUTTER -- Hmm, not quite rich enough if you ask me.
12. BUTTER -- The bread is too dry.
13. MILK -- Ouch!! Too much pepper!!
14. MILK -- Dear me! It burns, it burns!!
15. MILK -- Ack! Ss...spuh...spicy! Save me!
16. NONE? -- First Sweet, then salty, then Savoury, the flavors compliment each other well
17. NONE? -- Crisp flavor, hearty, and a clean aftertaste. (Not water or wine)
18. NONE? -- Mmm! Whoever made this is worthy of great admiration.
19. NONE? -- Lovely, Lovely.
20. NONE? -- That was a passable meal, I suppose.
Thanks for this thread! Honestly I only completed that quest because I got lucky -- all of what he said for me was just common sense, but then the time before that he said all this weird stuff that I didn't have a clue about.