I play because they're the most balanced class in the game, neither OP or easy mode, essentially they are what the devs should be trying to make all over classes equal to in their own right. I have no interest in critting for 10k and the like, nor do I want to be kiting 50 things at once. The other class devs really need to take a look at graal's notebook for some hints on how to make their classes more reasonable.
1. I was a Warden main during SoM and I loved being in control of the fight, protecting the squishies and being in the thick of it all. Unfortunately during those times, Wardens were still conisdered the "new guy" and had a bad rep because of the medium armour and I was sidelined for a lot of the BG bosses... even though Guards would drop just as fast, their was another excuse that didn't blame them...
I miss having that control of the fight, being the first to rush in, and challenging myself to grab and hold anything and everything off my group.
2. The Guards in my kin were a bit... rusty, and I don't think a Hunter (that pulls off them on a regular basis, and complains about throttling a ton or I will pull aggro again) was the class to get the point across. I rolled a Guard, SHOWED them the theory that my Hunter has been babbling about the last few months, and ended up bettering(?) them, which bettered (?) the raid as a whole.
I play my Guardian because I like the role they play in the fellowship. I choose Guardian at first because I like shields. Since then I have found that I like doing my job so that others can do theirs. I like being the first one into the battle and being in the lead. I like pounding on my shield and roaring at people. I like knowing that the healer is going to be doing everything they can to keep me alive because if I die they die. I like getting beaten on and taking one for the team. I like switching targets to get more aggro or to get it back. I like letting hunters die who don't switch targets when they get aggro. I like keeping the fellowship safe. I like being the center of attention. I like that I don't do the most damage but the bad guys really want to see me dead.
Lastly, I like watching the fellowship wipe after I have died.
I tried all other fellowship roles (heal, dps, cc) untill I came to tanking and I am pretty sure that a good tank makes a bigger difference to a group than a good healer. The first tanking experience happened in RoI instances with my cappy and that was amazing. So I speed leveled a guard just for the endgame tanking and I enjoy it more than anything else in the game now.
It is so great to
- be desired in groups,
- have control over the fight and select the pace of the instance run,
- react fast on the game situations instead of following exactly the same skill rotations over and over again,
- have decent aoe (something my cappy is lacking) for deeds or soloing old content.
Finally, lets be honest, it is the easiest of all the classes I play (or maybe it just fits me well).