At this moment we have a legendary item system that has it good and it's bad points; Most of us have things we like and things we dislike about it and the big idea behind it, a customisable weapon, probably appeals to the most of us. Nevertheless, I have the feeling most of us prefer the old system above the current system, but use the current system because it gives higher DPS/Healing etc. output.
I think with a couple improvements (okay, in the end it will probably a big overhaul) the system will be much more to our liking.
For those who don't want to read the whole thing, here the short version:
* You can stick to the legendary weapon you have forever if you want to and the weapon type/shape is okay for you. No more changing to a better age/ higher lvl weapon, everything can be upgraded. Now your weapon can really grow with your character.
I'll try to explain my idea as clear as possible while first giving a list of a couple of problems/irritations I experience with legendary items, then a couple of conditions that must be taken into account (Form both Turbine and the player-base) and then my solution.
Areas that could be done better
- You can improve your legendary weapon till a certain limit. After that, you have to replace it, so it doesn't feel really legendary to me.
- It's a lot of grinding, especially if you have more characters on a high lvl.
- Every lvl-cap raise, your current weapon will become 'useless'
The 2nd point is something I think we partially have to live with. Firstly because there has to be some sort of a timesink, secondly because putting effort in improving should be rewarded. If everything is easy/ fast to get, why do more challenging content?
Conditions that should be met
- Although we won't like it, there should be some sort of grind which could be shortened by shop-items. I think the current system generates a steady and nice revenue for Turbine. Another system should do the same.
- Perfection should be possible to achieve if you invest a lot of time/grinding
- Everything except the weapon type (an axe is always an axe) and the appearance should be customisable/ upgradable
- Doing challenging content should shorten the grind
- Staying with the same weapon forever should be possible, so it feels legendary and personal, though switching to another weapon should also be a viable choise.
There are probably things that make a lot of sense, but which i just forgot, feel free to give a lot of suggestions
The general idea is that almost everything on your legendary item should be upgradable/customisable. I've split the upgradable/customisable options in 7. For every option I'll discuss why, how (including limits) and how to acquire the things needed for it. The 7 parts are:
- Item lvl (new)
- Weapon age (new)
- Experience lvl
- Damage type
- Other upgrades
Currently our legendary weapons have a fixed item lvl. The top items are currently lvl 75 first age weapons. However, when a new update will come out, the top items will be lvl 85 instead of 75. So every time the lvl cap changes, are weapons will become obselete.
If we will be able to upgrade the item lvl, we can keep our weapon.
This can be done with a new item, the legendary flake (a better idea for the name is highly appreciated). With a legendary flake you can go to a forge master and apply it on your weapon. The effect of this flake is that your item lvl will be raised with 1 lvl.
There are a couple of restrictions:
- The item lvl of a legendary weapon can NEVER be higher then the lvl of your character
- The flakes will drop for different lvl-ranges
- The flakes will be available through world drops (very rare), epic quest lines, instances/skirmishes/raids and the shop
- If you apply a flake, it will raise the item lvl with 1
- If you apply a flake, the legacy points will be reset
- If you apply a flake, the legacy stats will be adjusted to the corresponding lvl
- Every flake you apply will cause 1 random legacy to fall down 1 tier
- The experience lvl of your weapon will drop with 10 lvl's (so you have to regain them)
- Every 5th flake you apply, the age of your weapon will drop down with 1 (so a lvl 75 1st age will go down to a 2nd age when you apply the fifth flake, so when it gets lvl 80)
Instead of forging a new weapon of a better age, we can now improve the age with a symbol of celebrimbor/ symbol of the elder king
- A 3rd age can only be upgraded with a symbol of celebrimbor, and will become 2nd age.
- A 2nd age can only be upgraded with a symbol of the elder king, and will become 1st age.
- An upgrade will cause an item to loose 10 lvl's of gained item xp (the same as with item lvl upgrade)
- An upgrade will cause an item to have all it's legacy dropping with 1 tier
- A higher/better age, will improve the base legacy's/damage and improve the max experience lvl.
The scale of experience lvl will be a little different, it will be dependent on the age (and upgradable with a scroll of delving)
- A 3rd age weapon will have a max experience lvl of 50
- A 2nd age weapon will have a max experience lvl of 60
- A 1st age weapon will have a max experience lvl of 70
An upgrade with a scroll of delving will make this thus 60, 70 and 80.
The item XP-curve will be the same till lvl 30 as it is for a 3rd age currently
- lvl 30-50 will be 40k/lvl
- lvl 50-60 will be 80k/lvl
- lvl 60-70 will be 160k/lvl (So a lvl 70 in this system will be the same as a lvl 70 1st age in the current system, around 3.7M ixp)
- lvl 70-80 will be 320k/lvl (This wil be around 6.9M ixp needed)
The legacy points available will be 11/lvl for the first 50 lvl's, after that 10/lvl, so at lvl 80 you have 850 points available (a little higher then the current max if I remember correctly)
Relics, legacy's, damage type
Those will remain the same
- Crystal fragment like they will be implemented in update 7? can also stay the same, maybe lose 1 at an item lvl upgrade and all of them at an age upgrade.
I think this will decrease the grind a little (upgrading a 2nd age weapon lvl 75 with ixp-lvl of 70 to a first age will give you ~5M ixp to regrind, so that's a lot), but more importantly let you keep your weapon.
If you want to replace relics you still need a scroll of removal/ you lose them and you still need scrolls of empowerment/scroll of delving etc, but your weapon stays the same
Give the correct crafter the possibility to use an old weapon,
instead of high-grade craft mats (eg. High grade Calenard Ingots).
All other needed items stay the same, sigil, fragments and symbol.
Used like this your ixp is reset and 3 legacies barred from use, but
your old 65 second ager is now a 75 second ager,
with the same legs and bonusses, just upgraded to lvl 75 stats.
(preferably with the cosmetic from your old weapon, would love
the lvl 56 sword skin on my 75er )
We see them doing such a thing already with the jewelry. I hope they will do this with legendaries as well. A weapon or class item you have to deconstruct and get all over again isnt realy what one would consider "Legendary". Just a pain in the ###.