I had this problem before, but I corrected. That was around the last update in October I believe. Anyways, I need help fixing it again. When I launch LOTRO I get the game update Progress screen. It does fun up until Update Programs. I have already looked at numerous pages on the site on how to fix it with no success. Does some get this problem a lot? Found your own solution? I remember last time I got this problem I fixed by deleting some files in the Programs Files(x86), and it worked, but I can't find that thread anymore. I copy and overwrote the current files with backup with no success, checked my security setting on the files, and turned off my Firewall, and checked if LotRO was blocked by the Firewall.
I keep getting stuck on raw/en/vignette_videos/vignette_m/
Not sure if that helps.
My update error is:
System.Runtime.InteropServices .COMException (0x80010105): The server threw an exception.
at PatchWrapper.CPatcherClass.Use Time()
at com.turbine.launcher.Services. Patcher.UseTime()
Thank you and I hope to hear your reply.
Drobur Graventongue, Caravan-Master of the Mîmshol Trading Company
When I've seen this come up on the forums before, it was due to:
Firewall issue - try turning it off while you update.
Anti-virus issue - try turning that off while you update.
Make sure FlashBoost is turned off before you update (if you're using that).
Corrupt file - if it's complaining about a particular .dat file, try renaming it and then re-patching so it will download again. If that doesn't work, you can always name the original file back to what it was.
Last Resort: turn off firewall, AV, FlashBoost... then uninstall and re-install the entire game.
Otherwise, maybe someone in the Tech Support forum can help. Good luck!