As they have since May 2008, hobbits still meet at the Green Dragon in Bywater every Friday night, from 20:00 UK time (currently 3PM /servertime) to whenever (usually near two hours after the start)! Bring a riddle, a song, a poem or a story if you like! Please note this is a hobbit preferred event! (though a few well mannered dwarves are welcome too!)
This is an invitation to all roleplaying hobbits of the Shire to attend our regular Green Dragon Fridays. This is a great place to come even if you're new to hobbit RP, as you can meet many of the local characters. Traveling dwarfs are welcome as well. Bring your beards, but most importantly, bring tales from beyond the Shire. Not too gruesome, though!
The order of the night is as loose as ever. Expect light chat, heavy drinking, much music and dance, perhaps some riddles, many a pie, definitely a poem, ever so often a story, always the latest in hobbit news and gossip, sometimes a few surprises.
Tips for the event
1) Participate! This event is only monitored by persons, not run. Nobody is there to entertain you all night long. Having said that, some regulars are usually there to move things along. But please bring your own input! Its jolly important that this never ends up being a one-hobbit show.
2) Prepare! Try to bring a riddle, a poem, a song, a short rhyme, some juicy gossip or the likes. If you don't use it, or if it is not time to use it (sometimes its just not possible to squeeze everything into one night), there's always next week!
3) Live the Shire! This event follows the lore in that it tries to be a lively hobbit night at the inn. Keep chat in-character, and try to avoid global mass emotes. Also, please try to keep entertainment (songs, stories, rhymes, poems and so on) in tune with the game world, suitable for hobbits living in the Shire. With regard to .abc music, try to steer away from well-known pop/rock songs and the latest top 10 chart contents. Less Lady Gaga! More folk music! Reels, jigs, waltzes, hornpipes and the likes are always popular and will soon have the hobbits dancing!
4) Play a hobbit (or dwarf)! This is a hobbit preferred event. If big folk (men and elves) wish to attend this night, please consider rolling a hobbit or 'travelin' dwarf. The Shire, although blessed with the 'odd' outsider, was not the 'in' place to be seen if you were a man-folk or (especially) an elf. Try out the hobbit RP for size instead, you know you want to!
Big folk are not banned from this event, but to keep things in perspective, and to show respect for the regular attendants who wish to turn up to a hobbit event, it is asked that you indeed bring a hobbit or travellin' dwarf. You will find you get MORE RP this way!
5) Enjoy yourself! Green Dragon Friday reserves the right to be as flexible, as quiet, as busy, as chaotic, as peaceful, as jubilant as it just happens to be on the night. Few things are planned, most just happen.
People are encouraged to come and go as they please. Attendance is purely encouraged, not expected. Turn up once, that's fine. Turn up every week, that's grand. The whole point is for you lot to meet each others' characters, chat about whatever you've been up to IC'ly, have a good laugh with friends. It's the people that make the night. If you're the first to arrive, don't run off! More will follow, they always do!
6) Remember! As you attend Green Dragon Friday, send your warm thoughts to the first people enjoying the event back in May 2008. Not least the creator, Mae Skeffington, who fought hard to set it up and make it last over the years. That was a mighty fine initiative!
Free to play update
With the introduction of dynamic layers to the game, here is a list of contacts should you find yourself in the wrong layer. These people will be able to direct you to others who are attending Green Dragon Friday.
I do hope Barmy has changed that rug. It wasn't in good shape during the last party. Also I wonder if he's still mad at me for letting that firework off inside...
But anyway, please do come and join us at GDF, it's a great place to meet new friends as well as catching up with old ones. Bringing a riddle is always a good idea, I hate riddles myself, can never figure them out.
I would suggest creating a Green Dragon Friday lorebook entry for permanent storage of information. The devs have stopped pinning player created threads in the last year. Its easy to do, simply go here: