Repost of original problem from the Mines of Moria thread:
I enter my password and all the servers show as being online, but when I try to enter my server I get this error message:
Game Client Not Found
The game client file ("lotroclient.exe") was not found. The next update process should download the correct file.
So, of course, I restarted it in hopes that it would re-patch something, but the "examine game data" passes as if nothing is wrong and I come to the same problem again. I tried disabling my virus protection/firewall just in case, but that is not the issue.
I did the digital download and ran it several days ago. I have since completely re-installed lotro and MoM. I installed from the book 14 download link provided by customer service.
The error message stays the same: "client file ("lotroclient.exe") was not found." So, to test that out, I renamed the lotroclient.exe file (which most certainly was there in the directory) to see what would happen. The client recognized the problem when it started up and re-downloaded and re-installed the exe file before continuing to server selection. Then the error happened again. It told me the file was missing immediately after it had put the file back in the folder. I can't imagine what is blocking it from recognizing the file.
I did get an error when I tried that, though I don't recall exactly what it was. On the advice of one of the tech support crew, I'm doing a re-install right now. That's going to take a while, but if the problem persists after the re-install I'll be able to give you the exact error message.
Needless to say, I hope I won't be able to provide that information.
Another bit of info that might be helpful. I've installed by downloading the book 14 updated shadows of angmar from a link provided by tech support. I then updated that with the Mines of Moria download from the Nvidia site. Then I ran the client and let it do the updates necessary after that.
Altumus: On my last re-install, yes, I created a new account and managed the install from there - installing in a Games folder outside of the program files.
Good news! There was a new Microsoft .net Framework 2.0 critical update when I checked windows update today. Now, if it's really a new update, or if my system just decided to recognize it as critical - I often overlook the optional updates - I can't say. But, when I installed it, I tried booting up LOTRO and everything seems to be working properly.
Whether the fix was simply the .net update, or a combination of the update and installing under a new account, I have no idea.
I see no one has posted to this recently. I to was having the gameclient not found error. I had removed .net framework from my PC. Then I found out Lotro needs it. So tried to reinstall .net 1.1. Got an error (can't remeber what it said). So I downloaded .net framework 2.0. Thats when I at least got to the pick your server area and recieved the game client not found. So I downloaded .net framework 3.5 (the latest version ) and I'm back in the game. Yippee. So If anyone else has this issue. check your .net framework version and or updates.
I have this same error message. I installed the game on a new PC from the original CD's I got when I bought the retail version of MoM. I have reactivated my account and want to play. I downloaded and installed .Net Framework 3.5 as suggested but I still get the error message.
I have the game installed under C:\Users\Public\Games\The Lord of the Rings Online. I've tried the tricks I found by googling and have moved the folder to C:\Games\The Lord of the Rings Online and C:\Games\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online and even to c:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online and none of these paths worked.
When I first launched the game, it downloaded a bunch of content and is up to date.
This must be a really simple, stupid error that can be fixed if someone could just tell me how to update the launcher to look in the right place for the lotro.exe file.